Monday, December 10, 2007

A Word on Facebook

I think that Facebook is weird. Does anybody else?
My friends Sarah and Kate kept trying to convince me to get a Facebook account, telling me how fun it was, what a great way it is to keep in touch, blah, blah, blah. So a couple of months ago I did. Less than 24 hours after I opened my account I get a message that said Kurt Somebody poked you on Facebook. So, being a naive Facebook newbie, I poked him back. Within minutes he added me as a friend. I didn't really recognize the name, but I thought to myself, "Maybe I know him from BYU or the mission...I don't want to be rude," so I added him as a friend. So RIGHT away he writes a message on my wall that said "Thanks for the add cutie...hope you had a great day." "Okay," I thought to myself, "I definitely don't know this guy because nobody calls me cutie, nobody." The next day I get a message from him that says, "Hey cutie (must be his favorite word), what are you up to?" I wrote back..."Do I know you from somewhere?" And he wrote back (and these are his exact words, spelling and all), "No, i was just looking threw here, and seen your profile and i thought you were cute and i wanted to chat." So, less than two days on Facebook and I already had a facebook stalker...and this guy is persistent! First I got a message that said, "Kurt wants to cuddle with you "(I've never cyber cuddled...how boring could that possibly be!?) The next day it was, "Kurt has sent you a dance." Then it was a cyber pillow fight he wanted to have. Then it was something about a secret crush, a hot or not invitation, and then he wanted to add me to his best friend list(BEST friends so soon?) I have ignored everything he has ever written to me but the guy doesn't let up. I have about 15 to 20 invitations from him that I have ignored so far. Here is my absolute favorite invitation he has sent me..."Dear friend, tired of all those annoying bites from zombies, vampires and werewolves? Click the 'Start Fighting Chumps' button to become a slayer and start beating up on those zombies, vampires, and werewolves." What in the world does that mean? Am I in Graduate School or Middle School? So, in conclusion, I think that facebook is weird. I don't get all this vampire biting, sheep throwing, cyber cuddling stuff. I will however keep my facebook account because it has helped me get back in contact with several old roommates, mission comps and friends. And...just a couple of days ago my 80 year old Great-uncle added me as a friend. I didn't even know that 80 year olds knew about Facebook! The end.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah? Well I think YOU'RE weird.

Something McSomethingkins said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly (I don't think that's all supposed to be one word, but maybe). I made a facebook because I kept getting invites and there were a bunch of people on there I wanted to keep in touch with but otherwise wouldn't. But my one and only post so far basically said how weird I find it and how much I don't really like it. Colorwise it's very dull, and there are a lot of weird games and things you can post on peoples' wall, and I have a life and therefore no time to put up with such trivial and time-consuming things. I really should develop more patience I've decided.

Audrey said...

since i don't have a facebook account... i would like to poke you here...... POKE! Hey, has your facebook friend/stranger given you a tickle tickle yet? Hey, Uncle Bruce oughta get Gma on Facebook so they can be friends! That is AWESOME! I can't believe Geri didn't tell me about it sooner!

Corrine said...

Becca, didn't your parents teach you to not poke strangers? ;)

However, I am jealous of your cyber cuddling sessions. Make sure you don't do it with a vampire though, you always feel drained afterwards...so people tell me.

Kate said...

Facebook is great. Maybe because it is THE social planner in C-bus. You don't need to call anyone about a party you're having-just set up a facebook event. It's convenient for lazy people. I also like looking at the pictures. I've never had creepy people contact me, but I have a lot of filters. And I ignore all the stupid poke/vampire/christmas tree nonsense.
I'll show you how great facebook is when I come out next week.

Scout said...

See where "I don't want to be rude" can get you.

Haha--Mel's on Facebook!!