Sunday, November 9, 2008

Polygamy or Inactivity...my moral dilemma on Sunday mornings

Today I woke up and started getting ready for church and thought to myself, 'what am I going to wear to church today?' YUCK. I hate deciding what to wear to church especially right now as I am at an all time low on clothes I like...especially church clothes. And I really do not like shopping for clothes...especially now that my best clothes shopping partner (aka MOM) is living in Brazil right now. I mean, I have enough money and there are sales EVERYWHERE thanks to the recession or depression or whatever we're in right now, but I cannot get myself to go shopping...at least for clothes. I am fine shopping for luggage or for makeup or for purses, but for some reason I have never enjoyed clothes shopping. The main reason is probably honestly that my hair does not fair well after trying on a lot of clothes...and there's nothing worse for you self-esteem then walking around by yourself at the mall on a Friday night with BAD hair. So I just don't clothes shop. But then I wake up on Sunday morning and sometimes wish I were either 1)inactive or 2)polygamist. Inactive because then I wouldn't need any church clothes or Polygamist because then I would just have some plain, homespun, uniform-like, pioneer church dress to wear every Sunday and I wouldn't really have any need to look cute or make a decision about what to wear. My only decisions would be...light blue pioneer dress or light purple one?...and hair in bun or hair in ringlets? EASY. Besides if you are a polygamist woman there isn't really a need to be all hot looking, cute, and trendy. I mean when 5 or 10 of you can marry the same guy it really takes away the whole competition thing...unless of course you are competing for favorite wife, but that's a whole other story. So here is what I think wards need to do to prevent non-shoppers from either 1)going inactive or 2) going Polygamist. Have a SHOPPING COMMITTEE! They have committees for everything else (they even have an ENGAGED COMMITTEE in my ward so that engaged people can at least feel good about themselves while they contribute nothing to society), so why not a shopping committee where people who don't like to shop can give their money to those who do and have them shop for them? BRILLIANT. The shopaholics will get to get some of their need for too much shopping out of their systems, possibly saving them from bankruptcy, ruined marriages, etc., and the non-shoppers will have cute, stylish clothes to wear each Sunday with little to no effort. Maybe I'll bring it up with the Bishopric...it never hurts to try, right?

7 comments:

Becky said...

You just need to come shopping with Audrey and I!! We went last night and baught WAY TOO MUCH!! But man was it fun!!
Next visit to Idaho ~ WE'll all go shopping... Then you'll have all the opinions to tell you to not even try some stuff on... Plus You'd have Audrey there to help with the hair when you have to try something on!!
Solved... now you can move to your next dillema!!

Lucy said...

Please don't become a polygamist!

Battfam said...

Could you please explain the engaged committee? Is it a little like the ward employment specialist? Do they help people get engaged or if they are over qualified for the person they are currently engaged to find a better prospect? I just really don't get it?
P. S. Buck up and go shopping. You can do it!

Becky said...

Very funny! I struggle more with my Sunday wardrobe than any other day or time. I set my blog up as private and need your email address so I can invite ya. When you get a sec. will you send it to me? beckylee28@gmail.com Thanks!

Cassie said...

I too have questions about that 'engaged committee'. Just when I thought I have heard all the 'extra' callings.....

Suzie said...

I'm also in on what in the world an engaged committee is... sounds like you have the topic for your next blog post. With how concerned you are about how your hair looks, you should definitely not try polygamy... I've never seen one of them and thought their hair looked that great...

Corrine said...

Yes, please explain what this engaged committee is!