Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Engaged Committee

Okay, okay, everybody has been asking me about this "Engaged Committee" I mentioned a couple of posts back. I'm not engaged and never have been (except for a fun little two month FAKE engagement one summer at BYU). So because I'm not engaged I have no idea what engaged people do. I do know however that the committee is real. I have been in Sacrament Meetings where people have been sustained as members of the Engaged Committee. No kidding.

I'll do a little research on Sunday at church about the committee and I'll let you know if I find out anything more, but here's what I know for now. Basically as soon as someone in our ward gets engaged they get released from their current calling in the ward and get put on the Engaged Committee. This is probably due to the fact that we all know that people that are engaged to be married are no good to anyone except for the person they are marrying. So I think they just put them on the Engaged Committee so that 1)they can not feel bad about not contributing anything to the ward and 2) other people won't be stuck working in callings with engaged people who aren't doing their calling because they are engaged.

I think they maybe encourage the engaged people to go on double dates and do activities with some of the other engaged couples in the ward...probably just to try to keep them out of trouble. Other than that I don't think they do anything except that they aren't taking up a place in a calling that they wouldn't be doing anyway.

So no, it isn't some committee you can join when you feel you are ready to get married and hoping to be engaged soon. If that were the case I think that every girl in the ward would be on the committee and not a single guy would be. And no, it isn't some committee where matchmaking takes place or anything like that. You have to get yourself engaged and then it is sort of like the retirement home of the Singles' Ward because you have made it to the ultimate goal of all Singles' Wards and you can therefore retire for awhile.

So there you have it. That's all I know for now and I think that is really all there is to it. If my research on Sunday gives me any new info I'll let you all know.

7 comments:

Becky said...

This is seriouly weird - even for a singles ward. Is this the ward's answer to having more people than callings to fill (a problem we can only dream about here!)?

Battfam said...

Oh....now I get it.....sort of. But it is weird, isn't it?

Becky said...

Sad!! Those lazy bones!!

Christa said...

Engaged people even get their own Sunday School class in some wards.

In response I am thinking of starting my own Sunday School class. We will be called Christa's Cool Ones. We will only do church appropriate things - like play scripture hang man and eat treats...but not on fast Sunday...we are still spiritual people. It will be awesome.

Suzie said...

That still is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard of. They should just release them & let them be until they "graduate".

Battfam said...

I want to be in Christa's class. I love hang man and treats.

Heidi said...

This can't be for real. Sometimes I wonder who is getting the revelation that there should be such a committee. I agree with Suzie. Release them and let them be.