Monday, November 24, 2008
Chris Martin is a Runt!
Last Saturday night Lee, Kim, Ty, and I went to the Coldplay concert. I LOVE Coldplay. They are probably in my top 10 favorite bands. I just love their music. In the past several years they have almost become too popular for their own artistic good, but I still had to go to their concert when I heard they were coming to SLC.
I can't remember a time when I didn't love Coldplay but I do remember when I really fell in love with their music. It was the summer of 2003. I purchased their album A Rush of Blood to the Head right before my friend Cindy and I headed on an adventure to Guatemala, Honduras and Mexico with BYU Travel Studies. This was a year or so before I bought my first iPod so I was sporting this awesome travel CD player (with 40 second skip protection, a must have for Central American roads).
Pretty much everyone on the trip (except me and two other people) got Montezuma's Revenge right off. So I spent the majority of the bus rides just looking out the window of the bus and listening to my CD player since all the sick people were either doped up on medicine or up front puking all over each other.
I must have listened to the album A Rush of Blood to the Head literally a hundred times on that trip. I was just at a point in my life where I needed to start over and as I rode the bus through the jungles of Central America listening to that Coldplay album over and over I felt like the long jungle drives and awesome Coldplay music helped purge me from the events of the past year and helped me feel like I could start all over again. Oh, the power of good music.
Anyway, I just really like Coldplay and feel like so many of their songs just resonate with me. HOWEVER, now that I've seen them in concert I'm pretty sure that I am much more in love with the music of Coldplay then I am with the band because:
1) Chris Martin (lead singer) is a little runt who wears those super tight, hardly stay up on you girls' pants. And I'm sorry...I know those kinds of pants are way in style, but HELLO Chris, you are in your 30's now(and have two kids)...time to lose the girly teenage pants.
2) Lee just about ruined the concert for me when he told me right before it started that Chris Martin is a big Obama fan and prior to the elections made a big deal about Obama before the start of his concerts. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion I guess (even if you aren't an American...Chris Martin is a Brit...okay he might have duel citizenship due to his marriage to Gwenneth Paltrow, but still...) but I'm not a big fan of celebrity endorsements...for either a Republican or Democratic candidate. Elections are supposed to be elections, not popularity contests. But I guess even since the days of student council elections and promises to bring more vending machines to the school we've all known that elections mostly are popularity contests. Either that or evil conspiracies to buy people's votes. I'm guilty of it myself. When I ran for Student Council in high school I bought the cowboy vote by helping the "head cowboy" with his algebra homework. And I won the stoner vote by giving them helium balloons from the election assembly so they could suck out the helium.
3) Really, although I still LOVE, LOVE, LOVE their music I feel like I've been to concerts where the musicians put on a better show. Like the awesome Arcade Fire concert I went to a couple of years ago or the Trans Siberian Orchestra (aka Forgotten Carols on crack) concert that Ty and I went to a few weeks ago. So, in conclusion it was a good concert but for the price we paid for the tickets I shouldn't have had to watch 31 year-old Chris Martin pull up his girly pants the whole time.
We went out to eat right before the show with Kim's sister and her friends. We went to an Italian restaurant in the Gateway. I can't remember what it was called but the food was good and there was a very cute waiter there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
true true. i have been to others where it was more entertaining, but yeah.. you gots to love coldplay
a few things:
is Lee acting as the man or the lady sitting on the lap in this picture?
(heavy pda is never appreciated. at any age.)
i hate super tight girly pants on any male.
no matter the age.
i'm dying to go to a Christmas concert.
any would do.
i'll have to start looking at my options.
good music + driving = totally awesome and strangely powerful in forming lasting associations between certain places and certain albums. For example, if and when you return to those jungles in Central America, I bet you'd have an irresistable desire to play "A Rush of Blood to the Head". After you listen to an album that strikes you while driving through a place that strikes you, the two things become forever linked. For me: 1)the drive around Flathead Lake in Montana = "Jar of Flies" by Alice in Chains 2)the descent through the dense pines to Cannon Beach in Oregon = "Keep It Like a Secret" by Built to Spill 3)the desert outside St. George = "The Joshua Tree" by U2. Everytime I drive in those places those albums must be played. No rhyme or reason to it, that's just the way it is.
Post a Comment