
Okay, okay, so I know it has been just over a week since I have been carless, but it feels like a LIFETIME. I am addicted to the independence a car brings. I guess I am just addicted to independence. I don't like asking people for rides and will not unless I am totally in a bind or the person I'm asking the ride from is already going to where I want to go. Hence, I ride the bus to and from work everyday and come home with nowhere to go, nothing to do, and plenty of time to blog.
So that should explain why I blog so much lately. Yes, I could be working on school stuff but blogging is so fun. And besides, I need to keep in touch with my parents in Brazil and I'm not the best letter writer. So don't judge me for blogging everyday.
This weekend I did rent a car so that first of all I could go to the
BBQ Tijuana Style that I thought was last weekend but was indeed this weekend and second of all so I could go to Idaho for the weekend.

Here's me at the BBQ with my old Home Teachers Travis and Brad. And no, I wasn't wearing a moustache and sombrero the whole time...just for the picture.

And here's me with Brad's little brother. I think that he totally looks like Tobey Maguire (Spiderman) and so do a lot of other people. This picture doesn't do the similarity justice though. I swear he looks more like Tobey in person.
So Friday night was a fun night at the TJ BBQ and then Saturday I headed up to Idaho. I spent the weekend with family and then Monday came back to SLC and unloaded the dresser that I brought down from Idaho by myself since nobody else was around. I wouldn't suggest moving a dresser from a car to your house by yourself. Let's just say I now have a big bruise on my arm, a gimpy shoulder and I poked my foot with a stick (because I so intelligently was wearing flip flops while moving this dresser in). Oh well, such is the life of a Spinster.
I had to unload the dresser by myself because I had to get the rental car back to the airport by 8:00, which I did. I then spent the rest of the night (from 8-10) making my way on several UTA buses back to my house. And here is what I learned...
1) A UTA bus driver can (and did) read a novel at stoplights. I don't know how she could even keep her place in the book. She couldn't of had time for more than a page at each stoplight. AMAZING. And I thought I was a multi-tasker. I wanted to ask her what novel was so great that you would read while driving, but her bookmark said "SHHHH I'M TRYING TO READ" in big bold letters so I left her alone. Besides, I was pretty preoccupied with the homeless guy who plopped down on the seat across from me. And from him I learned that...
2) If you don't wash your hair ever it gets really long and nappy and sort of forms tumor looking balls of hair all over your head. Sort of like a Rastafarian, but with no style.
3) Homeless people do actually pay to ride the bus. I just thought they hopped on and nobody dared tell them to pay. I mean, I'm a little scared of homeless people so I assume that the bus drivers are too.
4) When you get off the bus and the girl who also got off at the same stop as you starts running though the dark parts of the street because she's scared and then you start running because you wonder what she is scared of and what she sees that you don't...then she will think that you are chasing her and will run even faster and you will basically chase her into her house. I don't think I look
that scary, do you?
So those are the lessons just from last night's bus experience. I have many more life lessons learned from other bus rides to share at a later date. Until then, let me just share one more bonus (and non-bus related) life lesson. And that is...
Low-carb, high-fiber, enriched wheat macaroni is disgusting. So, don't buy it and thank me later for the suggestion.
8 comments:
Depends, were you wearing the mustache and sombrero at the time you were chasing that poor girl into her house?
And it's funny about buses in Utah. My friend from the UK went to Provo with her sister a few years ago and mentioned how strange people were on the bus. I told her it's because only crazy people use old-fashioned public transportation (that excludes High-Speed trains, jets, and although old-fashioned, hot-air balloons). She also couldn't figure out why so many people honked at her and her sister while they walked down the street (that was missing sidewalk for much of it). I told her that walking was even worse than taking the bus because you aren't using technology to get you somewhere faster. Maybe that other girl knows that and turned it into "running" which is what all the cool kids do:
Just a thought.
Public transportation is not for the weak, that's for sure. Hang in there.......when does your car get here?
My awesome UTA experience was on TRAX. I can only assume the guy was homeless. You could smell him at the other end of the train. And he carried a boombox...like from the 80s and was blasting some really stupid music. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Sounds like a fun party, trip to Idaho, and bus ride. The bus driver reading a novel was a little scary. I guess it beats a drunk bus driver, which is what a couple of missionaries here say they experienced last weekend. Be careful riding the bus. I hope you still have your mace and Diesel shoes.
Going green is hard. Take it from me. I live in suburbia where buses don't even go. When the ozone disintegrates, you can blame me.
Hey its Angelee, why is there snow in the bus pic? I laughed so hard at the farmers blow story. it was great.
When does that car come???
EWWW... You don't have to worry about me trying that nasty macaroni... I'm not into any thing that has a name that takes sooo long to read!! Hope your awesome new car gets here soon!!
Post a Comment