Saturday, September 13, 2008

Comment Quickly Because I Need Your Help!

Okay Blog Fans and Leeches... I need your help. It is time for me to buy a new car and I need your suggestions of what kind of car you think I should buy. I want to start looking soon...so comment quickly please. And if you are one of my beloved blog leeches here's your chance to de-leech and leave me a comment. Remember, I only require one comment a month to consider you a fan instead of a leech, so help me out here leeches. I really want your opinions. So, what kind of car do you see someone like me driving? Here's my car ownership history just to help you out. First car: Phyllis, my baby blue 1964 Ford Falcon Futura I bought for 2000 bucks. I loved that car. She always broke down but I still loved her. Second car: Sophia my silver 1998 Kia Sephia. It was a piece of junk but it got me around when I moved too far away from home for Phyllis to be my car anymore. I didn't like to drive Phyllis outside of a 30 mile radius of my Uncle Doyle's house since Phyllis often broke down and I had to drag her to my uncle's house to have him help me fix her up. Thanks again Uncle D! I sold Sophia when I left for the mission. After I got home from my mission I had about a six month carless period where I borrowed family member's cars, mooched rides off of people, and even rode the UTA bus! That was during my non-worldly, I don't need a car, returned missionary from South America phase of life. Once I got sick of being carless and non-worldly and got out of that phase I finally bought my third car... Third car: Manuela Jesus my tan 2000 Nissan Sentra. Manuela Jesus was a good car...I never really liked how she looked...I thought she was sort of ugly in fact, which is why I named her Manuela Jesus (the ugliest female Hispanic name I have ever heard of). She had some O2 sensor problems which led to transmission problems and so I was like "Adios Manuela Jesus!" and I bought my fourth car. Fourth and current car: My unnamed silver 2002 Nissan Altima. I like my car right now but there are a couple of reasons why I need a new one. First of all my car is pushing 80,000 miles now...75,696 to be exact. And I know that 80,000 isn't really a lot of miles...I know that some of you drive cars with over 150,000, blah blah blah, but I am a parentlesss, husbandless, pretty much friendless single lady living in a big city so I can't have my car break down or I might have a breakdown. Those who know me best know that I have inherited an inability to deal with car problems from my dad...and 80,000 is about the time when cars start having problems I think. Reason number two for needing a new car is that yesterday I was driving along Foothill Blvd just minding my own business and for the record NOT: eating, doing my makeup, talking on the phone, drinking water, plucking my eyebrows, adjusting the radio station, or anything that I normally do to distract myself as I'm driving. And I'm driving along when all of a sudden the car in front of me comes to a sudden stop because of the traffic on Foothill and I have to SLAM on my breaks to avoid hitting the car in front of me, which miraculously I did not. Also luckily the car behind me didn't hit me, but it was a close call. I came to such a sudden stop that I burned like an inch off of my tire treads...I know because I could smell and see the black smoke from my tires. So in conclusion I either am going to have to buy all new tires before Winter or buy a new car. And I figure that since I was thinking of buying a new car anyway that I might as well, rather than dump money into tires for a car I want to sell anyway. There's my car history for you. So what make, model, and color of car do you see me in? I'd love your suggestions. Here are a few rules though...the car must cost less than $25,000, get 25 miles to the gallon or more, and not be purple or yellow or lime green for that matter. Oh, and I need to buy soon because the 2008's are on their way out and I have a weird thing about not liking cars with uneven years like 2009 for example. So I either need to buy now or wait until 2010. This will be the first brand new car I've ever owned (if I can actually bring myself to be stupid enough to buy a brand new car) so I want it to be a good one that I'll love, want to name, and will want to keep for awhile. Let the comments flow...

18 comments:

Mardi said...

Cadillac - nothing floats like a caddi and they are so pretty. awww....

Battfam said...

I definitely think you should go with a silver car. Since that is the only thing I really know about cars (what color they are), that is my only advice.

Tallie, Aaron, Sterling, Avalon, Truman and Quin said...

Okay, I just had to comment, but I don't think my comment is very useful. My favorite car has been an old Jaguar. Beautiful car. It even had tray tables that folded down in the back seat. It was also the most unreliable car I have ever owned. I like the look of the Chrysler 300's though. Aaron says he would look at a Mercury because of their commercials.

Corrine said...

The best car I ever drove was my dad's beamer. It was a BMW 3-series. It cost him $14K used, but it was amazing to drive. Tight steering, hugged corners and very good looking. I had it for 2 weeks before I had to take it to Idaho and I've missed it ever since. It had sport seats and a moon/sunroof. He has since sold it. My dad knows a bmw salesman in SLC and I'm sure could get you a deal. ;) As all good Idaho farmers can!

Ooh, and black. Forget what they say about the sun, a hot car is a hot car no matter the color.

And celebrities like it too...
http://celebritycarwatcher.wordpress.com/2008/04/30/laguna-beach-star-kristin-cavallari-with-her-bmw-3-series-coupe/

Tallie, Aaron, Sterling, Avalon, Truman and Quin said...

I would look into the Toyota Prius or Honda Civic Hybrid, but that's only because AZ let's us use the HOV lane alone if we own one. Plus, with the cost of gas, 40+ MPG doesn't hurt.

I loved my BMW 325 because they covered everything including oil changes for 50K miles, which is one of the reasons I bought it when I was single. I had no relatives within 1,000 miles to help when a car broke down. That's probably $5k more than you want to spend though.

I have no idea if the Mercury's are any good or not, but they advertise some cool gimmicky features like reading your texts to you while you drive.

--Aaron

Bobbi said...

How about the new Honda Civic? I think the new body style is very cool, and I know a few people who have them that drive for work a lot because they have such great gas mileage!
There you go--

Audrey said...

Hey, my sis in law that reminds me of you is also looking at cars and her top 3 right now are
Honda accord... good gas mileage and the newer model is a beauty
Toyota camary... it also has the feature of having your phone calls come through the radio.
Nissan Maxima... cuz she has an older one and LOVES it so she wants to get the new one.
Maybe that helps ya a titch?
I have seen this new car cruisen around Rigby that is super duper cute... I think it is a Dodge of sorts... I will get back to ya on that one.
Good luck! I saw white or silver for color.
Lane wanted me to mention a 12 seater van. A baby blue one that you could charge people for rides up and back from Idaho to Utah.

Amanda said...

Toyota and Subaru are great cars. We would love to get a hybrid, but I know that the waiting lists are really long. I have had two Toyota Camry's, and have been really pleased with them. You can rely on the car, and won't have to worry about it breaking down on you.

The Subarus are great because the are AWD, and I love the saftey, especially driving to IF in the winter with icy roads. A must! My outback gets 30-34 mpg.

As far as color- I love blue and white!

Tricia said...

My vote would be a Honda Civic or Accord, or a Toyota Camry. (the new ones are super nice) Plus all these cars have a pretty good resale value--for when you hit 80,000 again

Amy said...

Bret says to buy a Civic or a Corolla. I feel so much better now that I have gotten rid of my leech status.

kiddle97 said...

I loooved my Altima and was so sad to see it go, so when we went car shopping, I very nearly made Brent buy the deep blue 2007 Altima just because I fell in love at first sight. We only went with the 2007 Honda CR-V because it had more room. We have loved the CR-V, but I don't know if I see you in a crossover or not. I think I see you more of what you've been driving, so I'd recommend another Altima or the Accord. OH, and just be sure to go in the daytime when you're shopping. We went in the afternoon, and by the time we were making any progress, it was evening time. We'd intended to get the EX-L in Glacier Blue. We looked out the window and saw an EX-L in what looked like Glacier Blue (thanks to the fading sun and the fact that it was parked in the dealership's shadow), went outside to check it out and test drive it, etc., and it looked glacier blue and we thought, this is the one! We drove it home and the next morning as we headed to church, we thought, "Huh. This doesn't quite have the blue tint I thought we wanted." Yea. We got an Alabaster Silver Metallic. Don't be fooled by the fading sun! (We don't mind the silver, but we did want the blue... Ah well) Good luck. Can't wait to see/read/hear what you've chosen! OH, and why didn't you name your Altima? Are you going to name your new car? And I have to say, I agree with you completely on the Manuela Jesus thing. I'd never thought about it before, but you are so right.

Christa said...

I'm trying to sell my car too. I bought a new car in 2006 and basically regretted it the second I drove it off the lot because the value decreased so much right that instant. At the same time I loved every second of it because I had a new car and it smelled so good. I'm only just over 40,000 but I hear bad things about the Suzuki once you start to get major mileage so don't buy a Suzuki. My search parameters are different but this is what I'm thinking about…
I really like the hatchbacks. I know they are trendy and young but I like them. I like the Toyota Matrix and almost bought one. They are good and I think some come with AWD or 4WD, whatever it is. I also like the Civic and Corolla because of the gas mileage. But if you were looking for something bigger I really like the Honda CRV or Toyota Rav4. I just read some reviews and I think the Rav ended up better for comfort. Comfort is good. But I think they're mileage is around 23 so I'm not being helpful now. I also like the Mazda 6. My friend has one and it drives nicely and is comfy and is cute and a little sporty looking. Don't get a Subaru Forrester. Both my parents have driven them and both have been crappy. Oh yeah, and we call them the lesbian cars because we only see lesbians drive them…aside from my parents…they are heterosexual…hence me and my 5 siblings. I like the Subaru Legacy though. The Subaru Outback is one of the cheapest cars to insure. I think you can get it in a non-shaggin-wagon style so you don't have to feel like a soccer mom but then again I think it's still kinda big. The WRX is great for street racing and high insurance.
Ooooo get a mini.

Cassie said...

If I was a fun loving, stylish up-holding, swinging single like yourself...Hands down, I'd be driving a Belize Blue Pearl Accord Coupe. (Please support my weekly paycheck. BTW - This is Layne's favorite.)

Here's a link for you to fall in love with.

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-coupe/price.aspx?Model=CS1179JW

Call Layne and he'll give you the low-down.

HOT HOT HOT

Christa said...

Ok. I was driving home yesterday I realized I want to totally change my suggestions. I think you should get an Acura or an Infiniti...or a mini...

Camille said...

I have to plug the Subaru Outback SEDAN- not the station wagon, the sedan.
You get the benefit of 4wd for driving up to ID in the winter, but also good gas mileage since it is a sedan...... plus it will bring you back to your post-mission/save the world days by having a slightly granola/hippie brand.
Really though, I had one and loved it.... all of the fancy schmancy stuff that I didn't really need, but still a little economical.

Rachel said...

I have to say a Subaru (I'm biased). I cannot convey to you strongly enough what a difference all-wheel drive has made in my life. My winter driving anxiety has all but disappeared. But, you're a city girl (I live in suburbia), so AWD may not matter. Therefore, my other reccomendation is an Acura TSX. Brian still has his RSX (eight years old) and loves it. I can see you in RED!

Amanda said...

Agree- love the Subaru Outback sedan. Expensive though. Both Rach and I have a wagon though- they are great- but probably not your type. I can see you in the Outback sedan though!

Becky said...

Okay, trying not to be a leech anymore. I'd go with the Honda Civic. It's a fun little machine that looks great and gets great MPG. Just don't name it Manuela Jesus, please. Have fun looking!