You check your retirement and investment accounts literally 25 times a day...just to see if you can retire yet...even though you are only 29 and very very very very very far away from being independently wealthy.
I don't have hardly any down time at work...especially lately. I'm lucky some days to get a lunch break. In fact for about the last 3 weeks I haven't even been packing a lunch since I usually don't have time to eat it. Why waste time in the morning getting it ready? Besides a tuna sandwich at 6 P.M. that you packed at 6 A.M. probably isn't too safe...although actually I would like to acquire a parasite, so maybe I should go for it.
ANYWAY, so although I don't have much extra time at work most days I always seem to find a second here and there to check my retirement and investment accounts....and I do this SEVERAL times a day. Just today it hit me that this might not be normal and/or healthy. But I just keep subconsciously doing it. I guess I just keep hoping that someday (hopefully soon) I'm going to log into my account and suddenly everything I have invested in will have gone up like 100 times and then I can just say sayonara to everyone at work and get the heck out of there and start LIVING MY DREAMS.
I guess I'm just extra freaked out because I was joking with my boss the other day and told him not to worry about me quitting because I would most likely be there until 2042 when I retire. And then I got all sick inside because I wondered if that was really going to happen to me. And 2042 would mean I would be retiring at 62...what if I don't retire until 67?...which by the way will soon be the new social security age for retirement per Wikipedia. (I wonder if IHOP is going to up their age for their senior discount too? Hopefully not.) Anyway and what if I retire at 67 but I didn't invest well and then I have to be a Walmart greeter for several years? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm making myself sick again.
The only way out of this inevitable working your whole life thing is 1)getting rich 2)death or 3)disability. Some days I would take any of the above, but most days I just want #1.
So may I just say that working every stinking day of your life for a company you don't care about doing something you feel no passion for is tough. It wears on you. So stay-at-home mom blog readers, be nice to your husbands. Because although you may have had a tough day with the kids (blow-outs, barfing, fighting, crying, whining, etc) your hubby may have had just as bad of a day. Work is exhausting no matter what you do. Unless of course you are one of the few people in the world who get paid a ton to do something you love and are passionate about...and in that case congratulations and I hate you. The end.
2 comments:
Reading about your unlove for your job made me think of the job I unloved the most, teaching at Hamer. However, now that I have no job other than being home, there are still things I unlove about my unwork life. Making dinner every night, every night, every night gets old. So does asking the question, "Why are you not in bed?" about 50 times every night. So does sorting and doing laundry for 8 people. Thank goodness every one is a good wiper so I rarely deal with skid marks, but sock bombs, underwear tumors, and belt vipers bug me. So do pockets full of trash or sand. (At least I know they don't litter because all the candy wrappers end up in the washer.)
Anyway, good luck with your retirement plans. Hope your investments and ours keep us fed and sheltered in 40 years.
Sounds like you need a job where you can read and relax all night like me.
Post a Comment