Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I'll miss you Idaho!




BUY SOME SURGICAL TUBING FOR YOUR SLINGSHOT TODAY. Yes, that's right. This was on a sign outside a drugstore in Idaho Falls. I saw it my last day there and thought to myself, 'man I love this place...where else do they advertize surgical tubing for slingshots?' The thing is, it is probably a good idea to advertize that...I have in my lifetime owned a homemade slingshot made of surgical tubing...I bet some of you other Idahoans have too so I bet it is a popular sale. That's one of the things I love about Idahoans...we can make something out of nothing. And we can make our own fun. We don't need fancy malls, concerts, and art museums. We have slingshots, potato guns, spotlighting, firecrackering, toiletpapering, and each other. For example just this 4th of July my uncle used a potato gun to shoot candy out of and then all of the kids at our family barbeque ran after it and beat each other down to get. It was awesome and the kids loved it.

I spent about the last month at home in Idaho with my family with a few horrible trips back to Utah to work for a few days. It was so great to be there. I LOVE IDAHO. Big time. A lot of why I love Idaho is that the majority of my family is there. I guess being home made me realize how much I miss when I'm not there...the family Sunday dinners, FHE with all my extended family, barbeques, mission homecomings and farewells, game nights, and just visiting with and being around each other. I guess that is the main reason that I love Idaho and plan to move back in a couple of years...I just don't want to miss out.

But Idaho is great for other reasons too. For example...housing is cheap, people are generally nice and friendly, no traffic except on 17th Street on Saturdays and around Christmas, no safely and emissions testing on cars so it is cheap to register your car, and yet the air is clean and clear (you can actually go running outside in the summer and not almost die), the summers are beautiful and are not too hot, and it isn't too crowded (except for at the 4th of July Fireworks, but I can handle that).

Anyway, I won't be back in Idaho for awhile but I just wanted to give a shout out to Idaho for being such a great place to live. However, if you are reading this and you are not from Idaho, don't move there...I promise you'll hate it and we don't really want anymore people there so we'll probably hate you. Just kidding! But yeah, don't move there. And for those of you who are lucky enough to live in SE Idaho...enjoy it!

7 comments:

Battfam said...

Way to make us homesick, Becca. Actually we are not really homesick. Everything is so new here, it is an adventure every day. How were the fireworks this year anyway?

Scout said...

Why don't you marry it?

Becca's Blog said...

Maybe I will Scout, maybe I will.

Or maybe I'll just marry someone from there...if I'm lucky.

Becca's Blog said...

MOM...not to make you homesick or anything but the fireworks were WAY better this year...we went back to our old place. It was fun but so are new adventures. Enjoy yours.

Amy said...

Becca your post was very inspiring -probably because I am lucky enough to be home visiting the Great State myself. Suddenly I found myself singing...

You've heard of the wonders our land does possess,
It's beautiful valleys and hills,
The majestic forests where nature abounds,
We love every nook and rill.

And here we have Idaho
Winning her way to fame.
Silver and gold in the sunlight blaze,
and romance lies in her name.
Singing, we're singing of you,
Ah, proudly too,
All our lives thru, we'll go
Singing, singing of you,
Singing of Idaho.

There's truly one state in this great land of ours
Where ideals can be realized.
The pioneers made it so for you and me,
A legacy we'll always prize.

kiddle97 said...

We just got back from Idaho on Sunday, and what a great time it was. I miss it so much! Back to 110-degree heat and no air conditioning. I keep thinking I must not live in America anymore, because I don't even have the freedom to choose whether I turn on the AC or not, 'cause we don't have one! Ah well. Anyway, I love Idaho. And I love BASEMENTS! :)

Audrey said...

WOW I am impressed that your friend knows the WHOLE song!
I like hearing people say they love this area cuz it helps me to appreciate it so much more!! Although, with my type and extent of allergies.... going for a jog is not a fresh air experience, but with all the open spaces and my lovely house, I will take it!