Well, first of all the Buenos Aires airport isn't very close to anything cool to see as far as I know. Second of all, I have been to Buenos Aires a few times and honestly it didn't really seem that cool and just seemed like every other big South American City I have been to, but maybe I'm not giving it a fair chance...maybe I haven't been to the right parts of BA. Also, it was rainy and cloudy as it has been 3 of the 4 times I've been to Buenos Aires but I guess I should give the city a break because it is Winter down here. And last of all, I didn't go out and do anything because I didn't know that I would be there so long although I probably could have gone out to the city even with just the planned layover that I had. I know, not like me not to take advantage of every second in a foreign country, but I had been there before.
So basically I just hung out at the airport. I people watched, ate alfajores, watched Arrested Development on my iPod, used the internet, practiced my Spanish by asking the airline people like a million times if they knew yet what time my flight was leaving, and even took a bath. Okay I didn't exactly take a bath, but close. I HATE being dirty...I really only have about 12 hours after showering before I want a shower again...and when I found out that I was going to have a long layover I tried to find a hotel close to the airport that would let me check in during the day and just take a nap and shower. But I didn't have any luck with that. I felt super disgusting after flying from Idaho Falls to SLC and then SLC to Atlanta and then Atlanta to Buenos Aires. So I walked around the whole airport until I found a bathroom that had a deep sink in it...I think it was a utility sink or something used to fill the mop buckets but it was perfect for what I needed to do...wash my hair. It was awesome...what a find. Also since this bathroom was way off in the corner there wasn't a lot of traffic so there weren't very many people in my way and really nobody gave me any harshly weird looks for washing my hair at the airport. Maybe they had seen the movie The Terminal or something.
I even had my hairdryer, roundbrush, flat iron, and a little root lifter with me (lesson learned from losing my luggage when I went to Europe in March) so I could do my hair right. Or so I thought until I realized that I had brought the wrong voltage adaptor for my flat iron...stupid me...and I always pride myself on being such a prepared packer. And my hair is SUPER short right now because I had Audrey cut my hair super short since I'll be in South America for almost 2 months and everybody knows you can't get a good haircut in SA unless you are into She-Mullets. Haaaaaaaaaa I can't wait to see my mom after her first Brazilian haircut, but that is a whole other story. So I can't flat iron my hair but at least it is clean. Due to the shortness of my hair though and the humidity in BA I ended up with some pretty ugly bangs...think barrel roll bangs. I have super straight hair other that right around my face and whenever I'm somewhere humid it goes curly and was especially bad because I didn't even have a chance to flat iron it. So I hung out the rest of the day looking like I had just walked out of 1995 (I had barrel roll bangs then, big time).
It was fun to spend the day in Argentina...even if it was just at the airport. The last time I had been to Argentina was 4 years ago and it was fun to be reminded that mostly things are still the same in Argentina.
6 comments:
On the 'things could be worse' tip, I believe bad bangs due to a non- functioning flat iron rank very, very low indeed. I'm glad to hear that's as bad as things got on your long journey... What are these Alfajores made of and can you bring some home?
Have a wonderful time Becca!
Alfajores are made of different things. Most of them have dulce de leche in them though. The best ones I think are homemade type ones fresh from the bakery, but maybe if you're nice to me I'll bring you a pre-packaged one since I can't bring you a fresh one home.
oh my goodness... alfajores! it's been a long time since i've thought about one of those! and i died reading about getting candy for change. sooo typical. i really need to go back some day! have fun on your adventure and hopefully we can hang out when you get back.
YIKES on the barrel bangs! Sorry bout that Becca! You were probably cursing my name everytime you looked in the mirror!
I am secretly hoping that your mom's haircuts will be so bad that she will give up and fly me to Brazil to get her back to beautiful! jk Aunt Mill, I am sure you will find someone there you will love and be sad to leave in 3 years!
So is that sandwich thing meat inside or fruit inside? Trying to decide if I wanna bite?!
Audrey...the barrel bangs are not your fault. I wanted my hair cut super short...plus it is the humidity and fact that my hair around my face is curly when wet.
Oh, and the alfajor has dulce de leche in it...and yes, you should want a bite.
Post a Comment