The time has come to put an end to the ands. What do I mean by this, you ask? Well, when I listed my blog links originally on several of the links I wrote the name of the couple...like Audrey and Lane, Cassie and Scott, Toby and Becky...etc, etc. But today that just started bugging me. Maybe I was bored or maybe I am just feeling really like making the world a fair place today...I don't know.So the end of undue credit on my blog. The end of the undeserving ands. This means that I have taken out the name of spouses (mostly husbands) who don't either 1: write on your blog at least once in awhile, or 2: occasionally comment on my blog. I'm sure this will be a shock to husbands everywhere. They get credit all the time for things they don't even know about. I mean, think about it wives...how often do you sign thank you notes, birthday cards, wedding cards that say, John and Jane...even though John doesn't even know about the card and probably doesn't know about the event the card was written for? How many times wives do you make phone calls to let someone know that "we were thinking about you," even though the other half of what makes you a we is sitting in a lazy boy with a bowl of ice cream carefully balanced on his belly while he watches Sports Center and obviously isn't thinking about anyone except Kobe Bryant? And I could go on and on. But I won't.
Now this isn't meant to be some feminist movement or statement...I don't hate men or anything, it is just a slight change to my blog and shouldn't be taken too seriously. However, and not that any of the husbands will care, but if I have mistakenly taken out your spouses name and he does contribute to your blog regularly or has left a comment on my blog recently then please let me know and I will humbly fix my mistake.
Okay, Okay...I'll be TOTALLY honest. Part of why I am doing this is for my singleton friends everywhere. When I go to blogs where my blog is listed as a link it usually looks like this...
Becky and John
Sue and Taylor
McNeil Family
Jimmy and Sarah
Robert and Tammy
Jane and Bill
Smith Family
Kate and Nathan
Sally and Jim
Becca
Chelsie and John
Andersons
Amy and Travis
Matt and McKenzie
As if I don't have enough reminders in this world that I am weird, abnormal, and not part of an and. I mean, people could write "Becca and Unknown," or "Becca and TBD," or "Becca and MIA," or even "Becca the Spinster." That way, Becca wouldn't stick out so bad. I'm just kidding here people... you don't have to change the way my name is listed on your blog but I am changing the way names are listed on my blog for all my single friends. Everyone should be able to come to my blog and feel included, important, and get credit where credit is due for being a blogger. So there you have it.
Also, please don't be offended if you got listed under my "Paranoid People" column. It just makes it easier for people who like to blog surf or for when I'm checking your blogs so don't take it too personally and complain and stuff.
14 comments:
Jason has had comments on Geri's blog. Think abt the cereal. At least I think he wrote it. So maybe his name should go back on. Aunt E
Becca you are sooo funny, and so right. But tonight (probably the same time you were writing this post) Don was actually working on his first post on our blog. I told him it was a family blog and that he should contribute. I shouldn't be writing about his adventures with our kids if I wasn't there. So he did it. You can check it out if you want. While he was doing it he said "This is kinda fun, if it's about something I am interested in." So for now he has done his first post, we'll see if there'll be more to come. Also, let me know if your new name label on our blog will work for you.
This is funny because it's true. I'm usually the only one namer on my friend's blogs lists. I think some of them have tried to make my name longer so it's not so obvious...like someone has my full name, a few call me cousin Christa...it's funny.
Becca, you're hilarious. As Heidi mentioned in her comment, this blogging thing is kinda fun if you write about something that really interests you. So thanks for keeping my name next to Heidi's!! I love reading about your trips...sure looks like you're having fun! Later, Don
So I'm paranoid huh? That's funny! I have totally been getting annoyed myself with how I have everyone's names on my blog too & have switched it up like 3 times lately & still hate it! Maybe I will resort back to first names!
BTW, I met your Aunt & Uncle last night who were my parents mission pres. They are so nice.
Actually could you add Mark to my name (you know the Mark I'm talking about). I'm quite sick of my name sticking out. And yes, I'll make him comment on your blog.
Mark...as in Mark Darcy? Sure Kate, as soon as you get Mark to comment I'll add his name to yours. You can be a couple. Although now you don't need to worry as much because most everyone is just a single name. But if he comments at least once a month I'll have to add him.
So wait a minute
seriously???
eyeroll x10
this post made me laugh. I also love that I am paranoid.
Just so you know you are now Becca & T.B.A. on my blog. You can make up what ever name you want... but I was thinking To Be Announced!!
Ha ha ha! This made me laugh. I have finally switched the links on my blog to just be the name of the linked-blog. You (speaking in general here) either get in trouble for saying "So and So and Last Name" when they don't want their last name shown, or you get in trouble for doing first names and making people feel left out, or you get in trouble for doing last names and making people feel -- however it would make them feel. So, for the record, my other half contributes to "our" blog only when I -- I mean someone -- has a gun (water gun, of course) pointed at his head, so I am totally fine with being a paranoid person with one name linked on your blog. Was that a long enough explanation for you? :-)
Lane asked if I would thank you for taking him off the list. He does NOT like to be associated with the blog world. He makes fun of me everytime I take a picture and tell him it is for the blog.... so consider him pleased!
Ever since I saw my name under the paranoid label I have not been able to stop thinking about it. I wake up in the middle of the night wondering what it is about me that makes me deserve such a description. The first thing I do in the morning is ask myself, "How can I change Becca's mind?" And then all day I am obsessively anxious as I worry about what everyone must think of me when they look at your blog and there I am at the top of your list of PARANOID PEOPLE. What can I do? How can I change?
-Amy
PS My blog is open to any of your loyal blog readers. To all of you who are interested, just send me your social security number, credit card number, date of birth and home address. I will be glad to email you an invite.
PSS You will definitely never be "just Becca" on my blog again...
Post a Comment