Why?, you ask.
1)they are comfortable
2)they look cool and stylish (most of them anyway)
3)I can always seem to find them on sale...my cheapest pair was 13$...I know, WOW I am a shopper (would have been 3$ if I wouldn't have forgotten that 10$ off coupon I had, dang it!)
But the biggest reason I love Diesel shoes was one I was not aware of until I was throwing out one of the shoe boxes my Diesels came in and came across this little card in the box that said...
Now I don't know why that little card made me love Diesels even more than I already did...I mean really, that is just the company's way of getting out of having shoes returned for small defects. They tell us, "defects are cool, they make you different...you should feel like a million bucks walking around in those shoes because thanks to those little defects we give you, your shoes are unlike any one else's shoes," even though the reason you bought them in the first place was to try to be just like everybody else...I know, ironic.
Also, I find it interesting that sometimes different is cool and other times different is just weird, like the guy I saw in SLC yesterday wearing bright MC Hammer pants and Crocks with socks...that wasn't cool, that was weird. But that is a whole other story and way off the subject.
So I know that this whole Diesel Disclaimer is just some big marketing ploy but I really like the idea. Reading that card made me think, 'What if every person came with a disclaimer? What if each of us were born with a little Disclaimer for Defects card attached to our umbilical cord or something?' I think it would be great if we did. It might say,
"ATTENTION! THIS LITTLE PERSON IS NOT GOING TO BE LIKE ANY OTHER PERSON IN THE WORLD. THIS PERSON COMES WITH INTENTIONAL COSMETIC IMPERFECTIONS AND IRREGULARITIES...THESE ARE NOT DEFECTS BUT ARE WHAT MAKES THIS PERSON UNIQUE. THIS PERSON MAY TURN OUT TO BE: FAT, SHORT, BALDING, BUCK-TOOTHED, AND/OR HAIRY...THAT'S OKAY, THESE ARE UNIQUE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE BRAND."
Now wouldn't that be nice. You could say to yourself, "Cool, I'm fat
(short, balding, buck-toothed, and/or hairy) but that is A-Okay because I'm unique and was created that way so that everyone wouldn't be Barbies and Kens..how boring would that be?!?"
Just something to think about since I have nothing else to write about just yet.

11 comments:
I LOVE DIESELS!!!
I loved loved loved this post, Becca. I think my family has a little bit of all the suggested characteristics you mentioned (minus the buck-teeth) and now I realize that makes us really cool. You made my day!
I never thought that being short made me cool--but not I know it does!! I too appreciated this post. I think the diesel disclaimer would make a good young women's lesson or fireside about being "different". And I agree about the MC Hammer pants...still not cool.
Hey speaking of Deisel, did you know I did hair for the Deisel models when they came to SLC to recruit models to take to Europe?? Does that make me different and cool??
Also, the last time I was in SL I saw a guy downtown with a tight grey moc turtle, tight acid wash jeans, and some torqoise pumps.... NOT COOL!
I noticed a funny disclaimer lately. I received a catalog a couple weeks ago that had in bold print inside the front cover: IF YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE PICKY OR LIKE HIGH END MERCHANDISE, DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS CATALOG. I didn't order from it.
Great thought Becca! Something we should all keep in mind.
Even though I'm not really even sure what Diesel shoes are, I thought your post was cool. Hey, I just remembered I bought some Caterpillar (like the bright yellow heavy eqipment) brand shoes once. Were they cool?
I don't know anything about Diesel shoes, but I know they're nowhere near as sweet as my plaid Converse All-Stars...or my Converse All-Stars made out of hemp...or my Converse All-Stars made out of tennis ball material (they are BRIGHT). Sorry, they're just not.
Yeah mom, your Caterpillar shoes were pretty cool (for an old lady). Just kidding. Don't get a complex.
Jerry, your chucks can't even compare. There is no way they are as comfortable as Diesels...and some crazy guy at the library tonight told me that he loved my shoes, so there.
WHAT?!?! Hammer pants aren't cool?!... Crap- I gotta go change... (I love your post!)
"and some crazy guy at the library tonight told me that he loved my shoes, so there."
Exactly. Thank you for proving my point.
Post a Comment