Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Chip Clips and Magnets

Today at work one of my co-workers (whose name shall not be mentioned), a woman in her late 50's or maybe early 60's, came over to me ranting and raving about how she was just sure that someone had stolen her chip clips and magnet and taken them home. "Do people just take home whatever they want from here?" she asked me. And then she went on to tell me that she buys those chip clips with her own money and she is just sick of people taking them...and how not only had someone taken her clip but her magnet was gone too! She uses these clips to close off open bags of these little plastic dilution segments we use and the magnet was a cheap little magnet with advertisements or something on it that she probably got for free that she used to hang up some papers. Yup, I bet someone totally stole her chip clip from a dirty medical laboratory and has it at home right now, keeping their Doritos from getting stale.

So I either ignored her or calmed her down...I can't remember now. But later on, as I thought back on it, I started freaking out big time and wondering to myself...'Is this what my life will come to if I stay here?...Will I lose it over chip clips and magnets?...Will I assume that everyone is out to get me (even down to stealing my chip clips and magnets)?...Will I be grumpy and unsatisfied with what I have done with my life?...Will teeny tiny things become hugely important to me?'

I really have got to find a career that 1)I'll be awesome at, 2)I'll make plenty of money doing, and 3)I'll love and want to succeed at. I'm working on it. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Battfam said...

Bec, I'm missing 2 chip clips too. Since you were home last weekend, I was just wondering.

Just kidding, but I am missing my eyeliner brush. You wouldn't have happened to come across that have you?

Corrine said...

Come join me in my global domination breast cancer plot. All I need is money and your sky miles. ;)

Rachel said...

I think that no matter what your career is, if you do something long enough, you will eventually become the grumpy old lady no one wants to talk to. A secretary at my old law firm who had been there for 20 years went on and on to me about how whoever sat at her desk while she was on vacation had left the lid off her pen. Just try and get a new job every seven years, and you'll avoid this problem.

Jerry said...

"Is this what my life will come to if I stay here?"

Only if you let it. I think you're making too big of a connection between career satisfaction and overall quality of life. Remember - it's just a job and in the grand scheme of things it will not matter a whole lot whether you were a CEO or a garbage man (excuse me - sanitation engineer). But you know that already. Just remember what my dad told me when I was seeking his advice on what to do for a career: "It doesn't really matter what you choose - you'll end up hating it anyway". Thanks dad - I'm ready to go out and conquer the world now.

ps. give your mom her chip clips back.

Tricia said...

That is sad--she should really change jobs--but just think--if you draw her
name for the work Christmas present exchange--You'll know just what to get.

Cassie said...

Maybe your work friend should use the good ol' wooden clothespin for her clip. I bet no one would steal that.