After I posted that picture of my dad in his Superman shirt a couple of weeks ago he said that I "can't post any more pictures of him on my blog without written consent." First of all, I don't know how serious he really was as I am sure everyone loves the fame that my blog brings them. Second of all, I don't know if he can fight me legally on that all the way from Brazil. And, I am being a nice daughter and not posting the picture I have of he and my mom full on hugging at the airport...in 1972, not in 2008. He claims that the picture was photoshopped but I'm pretty sure that Photoshop didn't exist in 1972!

This is my parents approximately 36 years ago when my mom came to see my dad off at the airport as he headed on his first mission to Brazil.
On Wednesday night I picked my parents up from the MTC. It was a real white trash moment for me. I had been at work all day, had rushed out of work and down to Provo to be able to pick my parents up in time. I hadn't eaten anything all day other than some soy nuts, fruit leather and a few Triscuts so I stopped by Dairy Queen to grab a grilled chicken sandwich and a Peanut Buster Parfait...I know, a really healthy day of eating. Oh well, I had to hurry because I was supposed to pick my parents up at 7 and my dad doesn't really like Utah and I knew that he would want to get the heck out of there.
I pulled into the MTC driving my mom's crappy Dodge Durango...just imagine...cracked windshield, dirty, and the shocks make this horrible rusted out trampoline sound. I ask the security guy where to park and he says, "Just park in Elder Bednar's spot...he's already gone." So I go to pull in but there is a MTC van parked parallel to the curb behind me plus I'm not used to driving a big vehicle so it is even worse. So I have to make like a million point turn to get in (meanwhile the shocks are making this horrible sound). And as I'm pulling in feeling so white trash and ridiculous Elder Christofferson and his wife are getting in their car parked just one down from me. I tried to act natural as Elder Christofferson stared at me with a "Ooh, I hope she doesn't hit Elder Cook's car" look on his face. That's the last thing I would want to do...hit a church car (hence the million point turn). I wonder what happens if you hit one of those Toyota Avalons. Do they garnish your tithing? Well, luckily I didn't have to find out.
So I got safely parked and tried to time the eating of my peanut buster parfait between all the GAs I was parked between getting into their cars... I already felt trashy enough without having Elder Scott see me chowing down on some Dairy Queen (although I bet he would have loved to have a good old Peanut Buster Parfait like I was having rather than that fancy cheesecake and stuff I bet they always get served). Oh yeah, and then I saw Elder Nelson and his wife get in their car and when they pulled away I noticed that she was driving (probably because she is quite a bit younger than he is) but still...maybe that means that my dad still can get into heaven even though he makes my mom drive everywhere.
Anyway, after waiting for what seemed like forever (due to the fact that my dad is a big time talker and had to talk to every person he saw on the way out of the MTC) we finally got out of there and headed back to Idaho. But not before I had one last white trash moment as I opened up the car to load my parents' stuff in and had a couple of vitamin water bottles fall out and roll under the car. Don't worry, I picked them up. Anyway we got home late that night and my parents spent Thursday packing, visiting with family and friends, and just doing last minute things...just small stuff like my dad teaching my brothers the family construction business and telling us everything we need to know to keep the house, farms and ranch in order. Yikes! I'm glad that most of that is my brothers' responsibility.
Then early this morning we headed to the airport to see our parents off for three years. It was hard to see them go but I know this will be a good experience for them so I tried to keep a smile on my face for them. Luckily I was there to look over my dad's carry-ons before he went through security as he doesn't travel much and had packed his razor and several things of liquid in his carry-on. We got it all fixed though. We visited until it was time for them to go through security and board their plane. We tried not to make too much of a scene as we said goodbye but three years is a long time. Good luck padres...you'll do great!
6 comments:
I really feel like your "white trash" feelings stem from the broken windshield. I've had several of those times, when you feel bad driving such a PIECER, then when you get the windshield replaced, wash & vacuum, it's a pretty sharp car again.
Once again, thank you for the recap. You guys are doing good!!
Once again you made me laugh out loud. Maybe Toby could help you give it a overhaul. He's a great cosmetic car cleaner. I LOVED the end when the water bottles rolled out. Too funny.
Once again you made me laugh out loud. I LOVED the water bottles rolling out at the end. Thanks again for sharing.
WOW! Things were a little different back in '72! I am not sure if you can even stand too close to "your" elder in this day and age!
That seriously is SUCH a CUTE picture!
That is so awesome that they get to do this together 36 years later! How perfect that they just had their anniversary too!
Loved the pic of your momma and pappa...so rad! And you should just embrace your white trash side, it's natural.
I choked up a bit at the first.... but was CURED by the trashy story.
this post was just like a great movie--you cry, you laugh, you just feel good.
Post a Comment