
A week from today my parents will enter the MTC and will be off on a 3 year mission to Brazil. So okay, I know that I'm 28 years old, you don't need to remind me, and that my parents leaving shouldn't be such a big deal or such a hard thing for me, but it is. I'm going to blame it on being single, sorry but I am. I guess by being single I don't have anyone else but my parents, brothers, sister-in-law, and extended family. The family that I grew up in is my family...that's it. They are the most important people to me. And although I have pretty decent brothers that will be around and a great extended family it just won't be the same with my parents gone. I decided today that maybe what is so unsettling to me is that I'm losing my home base. I'm playing capture the flag but that safety zone of home base is gone for awhile and so I'm just running around in circles trying not to get slaughtered by the other team.
I realized too that I haven't been very good at keeping blog fans updated of what page I turned to in my Choose Your Own Adventure book. I guess I just got so busy lately that I forgot to mention that I did get some things figured out. Here's how things are scheduled to play out for the next few months. I took a leave of absence from work for most of the summer and am home spending a couple of weeks with my family before my parents leave. Then I'm off to Paraguay where I'll be doing some humanitarian work, some of which will hopefully count towards my practicum for my graduate program. Then on the way home from Paraguay I'll hop up to Brazil and visit the parents just to make sure they got settled in all right. I'll be in South America for 7 weeks and then will come back to SLC, hopefully find a place to live and will start school and work again in the Fall. So there you have it. I am excited for the summer and hope it will be AWESOME.
11 comments:
I don't blame you for whining. I would too if my parents were going far far away for a long long time! I guess it's for a good reason and hopefully you'll get to go see them often. I am going to miss them too.
I like your plans... they sound exciting and fun. No worries about any whining- I would be way worse.
Whine away baby! It's so hard having your parents leave & that's coming from someone who is married with 2 kids. I cried like a baby when my parents left on their mission & it was only for 2 years. I think it's awesome that you are going to be exploring South America for a few weeks! Have a great time & keep us updated!
You have EVERY right to whine! I think you and your family have been handling things quite well! I am sure it is such a bitter sweet thing. Great to have amazing parents that are going to serve the Lord, yet you are going to miss them like crazy!
I know I am not like your mom in any way, but PLEASE feel free to crash here, do laundry, eat food, or anything else you may want to do at your mom's while she is gone! Our case is zu case (or however you say that) afterall, your dad did build it!
That sounds like an awesome "choose your own adventure"! Can you please tell me what page you turned to so I know where to go in my book?!?!
Wow- I am so impressed with your choice- it makes me a little jelous. How awesome would it be to get to go do humanitarian work in South America. Ok- I am a lot jelous. Hope you have a wonderful summer!
Go ahead and whine Becca. You have a right to.
I'm not surprised at all about your plans. You are a brave girl and if I ever get the guts to go anywhere, I sure would like to go with you. Carry on Becca!
Becca, at times like this you need to ask yourself, what would Donald Trump do? Does he whine because he too has an insane amount of money in the bank? Nope, he sure doesn't. We can all take a chapter from his book and apply it to our lives. And by "we" I mean like maybe 2 of us. You and Donald.
Hey Becca,
How are you? Sounds like a lot has been going on. There are always pros and cons to every stage of life we are in, but for now enjoy the freedom you have. I would love to be able to do what ever I want when ever I want. How cool is that that your parents are going to Brazil. But I would whine about that one a little too. 3 years is a long time. But it sounds like you'll have a fun summer.
Oh and while you're out traveling, feel free to stop by Spokane, WA. I know it's no foreign country, but have you ever been there? You can add it to your map.
It's okay Becca, we've gotten used to the whining:) Just kidding, seriously. I would whine like a baby if my parents left on a mission. They may, so it won't be a pretty site.
That is so friggidy-awesome that you get to take so much time off of work and travel. Kudos you.
Post a Comment