Sunday, June 22, 2008

See you later MOM and Dad!

This past weekend my family went down to SLC to take my parents to the MTC...role reversal, big time. Now it was our turn to give advice, help pack, and drop off at the MTC. Luckily they didn't make us watch some outdated movie, get us all crying and then make us say goodbye. They are a little easier on the senior couples I guess.
But before we get to that...on Friday we went to The Church Office Building where Elder David A. Bednar set apart my dad to preside over the Brazil Fortaleza mission and then Elder Earl C. Tingey set my mom apart. They were great blessings and it was nice to be there as a family.
Afterward we went out to eat at Ruby River thanks to a gift certificate given to us by Audrey, one of my most loyal blog readers. Later that evening we had family pictures taken on Temple Square (I know so cliche...but we didn't have a lot of time to go somewhere else because Russell had to get back to Idaho to work) by Jen Fauset, the girl who did Lee and Kim's wedding. Luckily there were some that turned out pretty good considering I felt super ugly that day, my mom is famous for closing her eyes and my dad and Russell don't smile much. But hey, at least we got a family picture taken while we are all still together.
On Saturday we headed down to Provo where we stopped off at J Dawgs, a little hot dog stand that anyone who's gone to BYU will know about, so my parents could have their last meal as free people before entering the MTC. It was my mom's request. She loves J Dawgs.
Then we took them to the MTC. We pull in, my mom is driving of course since my dad doesn't drive in Utah...we should have at least thought to switch out drivers so my dad could save face, but oh well. All the MTC workers were greeting my parents by name (which was kind of weird) and jumped to help them unload their stuff. It was roasting hot in Provo so we headed into the main lobby to visit for a few minutes. My mom and dad got their name tags and then we took a few pictures and my dad and brothers punched each other in the stomach a few last times. Luckily it was the toned down version of their little wrestling and fighting matches since we were at the MTC.
We wished them luck and said goodbye. There was no sobbing as we will see them for one more day before they fly out. So we'll save the sobbing for later. Lee, Kim, Ty and I then went to Macey's so we could get random stuff (which included Hostess Snowballs...it is a long story) to send my parents in a package...just in case they already missed us. It was a fun weekend as a family.
Eating at Ruby River

My MOM with her mom

Finally a normal picture of Lee and Kim so I thought I'd post it...no offense guys, you are normal looking...it is just that you are usually making weird faces.


I like this picture of my mom and dad, but somehow like a retard I got 01/01/2004 imprinted on all of the pictures from that night so if anyone knows how to get rid of the date on those pictures please let me know!

The boys...bugging each other as usual


My dad will talk to anyone, anywhere and about anything...our whole lives we have thought this to be annoying or weird (as Russell's face shows in this picture) but I think his lack of fear to talk to strangers will make him an excellent missionary.


Mil, Kim and Gma waiting while the guys get their pictures taken


Ty looking good in his blue tie

Due to some really cute, but painful shoes, Kim needed a lift back to the hotel


Mil is excited to have one last J Dawg

Normal people usually go to lunch at a nice restaurant before going to the MTC...not us, we went to a hot dog stand!

The kids minus Russell


Making the drop

My dad got such an excited look on his face when they gave him his name tag...I really do think he is excited to be a missionary again...scared to death but excited

This one is just scared to death...just kidding mom, I'm sure you are excited too. You'll do great!

What a great Senior Couple!


The end.

7 comments:

Cassie said...

What an awesome post & pics! Your mom & dad are going to be the best missionaries ever. Thank you for sharing such a sweet moment with your family. We love you all!

Lucy said...

Great post Becca. I loved all the pictures and maybe we understand a little of what went on those days. You guys are all handling everything in such an excellent manner. Very proud of ya!
Never, ever had a J Dawg myself, though. Audrey sure talks them up, though.

Becky said...

Great post... You're mom and dad will do awesome!! They're really going to be great with all those young missionaries.

Kim-may said...

oh man.. i will always remember that day. for so many reasons.

Audrey said...

WOW! Thanks Becca for letting the rest of us feel involved some way! And thanks for mentioning my name.... always makes me feel just a little famous! I need to do better with being one of your loyal blog readers cuz I sat down tonight to catch up and BAM I was 3 or 4 behind on yours!
What a beautiful family you guys have! I can't wait to see some of your professional pics!

Nojathon said...

Becca, I'm not sure if you were struck my some weird time warp, or if you were taken on the flight of the navigator, but it's 2008, although you could've taken pictures in 2004 from a special see-in-the-future-camera that can shoot pictures 4 years later.

Christa said...

Two things I really miss about Utah...J Dawgs and BYU Chocolate milk.

I love that you guys went to J Dawgs!!