Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Thank you CMT for the self-esteem boost!

Okay, I have to admit...I'm obsessed with the show My Big Redneck Wedding on CMT. My sister-in-law Kimmae blogged about this show awhile ago but at that time I... 1) had no spare time (due to working full time and going to grad school) to watch quality TV programs such as the one mentioned above. 2) Didn't have access to cable TV. 3) Didn't know what I was missing out on. 4) Didn't have a membership to a gym that has individual TVs for each treadmill. And because of those four reasons I had no clue what she was talking about, but now I do. Recently I got a membership to 24 Hour Fitness and they have individual TVs for each treadmill which is AWESOME! And not only are those TVs hooked up to a million channels of cable but you can also plug your iPod in and watch movies and shows that you have on your iPod on the TV screen. I love technology! And recently I have come to discover that TV has shows about EVERYTHING... shows about dwarfs, shows about people who have done more than their fair share of reproducing, shows about fat people who want to be skinny, shows about skinny people who want to be models, shows about washed-up semi famous people who want to be dancers, makeover shows, cooking competition shows, cake making competition shows, shows about little tanned, makeup wearing, toddlers who supposedly want to be beauty queens, shows where people fight and yell at each other, shows where experts try to help people not fight and yell at each other, shows about people having babies, shows about people having surgeries, etc! And quite honestly I'm not a big fan of these reality TV shows. All reality TV says to me is, "be a freak or a person in a really sad situation and you'll get on TV so that everyone else will watch in amazement at how freaky you are and will be glad that they aren't as weird/sad/fat/untalented/crazy/pathetic/dwarfy as you are." Now I'm not trying to dis anyone on any of those shows or dis any of you that like those shows...I do know that some reality TV can be inspiring and motivating, but I don't have to spend my time watching them if I don't want to...I'd take 30 Rock or The Office any day over reality TV because at least on those shows the people are just pretend crazy and I don't get quite so sad for the human race. BUT, for all the same reasons that I normally don't like reality TV, I love My Big Redneck Wedding. And last night at the gym I was lucky enough to get two back to back episodes...a full hour workout worth of the show. It made the time fly by. I love it because first of all it is hilarious. And second of all I walk away feeling so good about myself and filled with so much hope for my future because compared to those brides I... generally weigh less always have more teeth am definitely more intelligent And...I'll never have a wedding cake made of Hostess products (super common on the show), won't be getting married in camo, won't have a mud pit as any part of the wedding celebration, won't have cigarettes or chewing tobacco cans as any part of the wedding decor, won't receive a gun, teddy bear, or CB radio as a wedding gift from my new husband, and won't have dead or live animals as a part of the wedding ceremony. How do I know these things for certain you ask?...I just do. I just do. So thank you CMT for the entertainment and for the burst of hope for my future and the boost of self-esteem! I would highly recommend scheduling your day around My Big Redneck Wedding.

5 comments:

Battfam said...

I can't say I will schedule my day around it, but I might give it a look. I saw an ad for the "little people" show here, so maybe they have that one too. Reality TV is such a great way to share our American culture with the rest of the world.

Kim-may said...

yeah. isnt it incredible?
um, i still think my all time favorite was one with cigarette's in the cake. like first of all, who has candles in their wedding cake, and second...well the obvious, why cigarettes? yuck.

p.s. when you get married, i will give you a teddy bear.

Lucy said...

Haven't seen this one yet. We usually wait to watch any show until it's all over and we catch the re runs. Right now we're on one from 2001 called "the Guardian". Really like it, but never heard of it before now.

Audrey said...

Yeah I am going to have to tune in... I know that Bobbi and Cassie have both been fans for awhile now so chances are I would get a real kick out of it too. (i think lane would love it)
p.s. Becca, your room is almost ready for ya!
(occasionaly you may have to share it with Nobby and Kitty)

Cassie said...

I'm still trying to find the word that I want to use when I think about this show.....but I still haven't found that word. Amazing just doesn't cut it.

Remember the one when they wanted to rent the duck hunting hideout thing (can't remember the name for that little hut) to get married in, and at the last min. found out they couldn't use it so they made their own the night before. Ya, good times. If I recall, that one had a little TMI for my liking.