Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The dark side of life as a nomad...

Nomad: A person who wanders from place to place.
AKA: a transient, hobo, wanderer, vagabond, wayfarer(as in poor, with grief), and vagrant.
Yup, that's me. I'm on the move again.
I've lost track of how many times I've moved in the past year...especially if you count my temporary moves. In May of 2008 I sold my beloved house and moved all my stuff up to my parents' house in Idaho and then "moved in" with my Aunt Jenny for a few weeks. Then I stayed at my parents' house in Idaho for a few weeks then I was back to Jenny's for a few days. Then I moved my life to Paraguay for five weeks and then visited my parents in Brazil for two weeks. Then I flew back from Brazil on a Sunday and the next day moved into a place in Salt Lake that I had never seen living with people I had never met. That went well until our lease was up and none of us wanted to resign so we decided to all go our separate ways. So about four days after returning from Christmas in Brazil, I moved again. This time it was into a storage unit...well my stuff anyway. Then I spent the next few weeks at hotels, in Belize, and at my wonderful friend Rachel's house. And then I moved into another random house with more random people...
And that's where I have VERY STABLEABLY (not a real word) lived for 3 whole months!
But since I'll be out of the country for the majority of the summer and I don't have anything tying me to Utah right now, I figure that I might as well not be flushing my savings down the toilet in the form of rent. So my cute little grandma has said that I can move in with her for the summer so I'll have a home base in between my summer travels. And I'm excited to get to spend some time with my grandma and to get to eat her yummy cooking and to live in Idaho...even if it is just for a few weeks.
Oh, and if anyone else wants me to pop in for a visit this summer I'd be glad to. Maybe I could see how many different places I could spent a night at this summer and then blog about who was the best host/hostess. Maybe I'll even make a prize for the winner. I'm already planning on spending some QUALITY time with my cousins Geri, Bobbi, and Audrey. I can't wait to taste your cooking! JK JK JK!
Oh, but now to the whole point of this post which is... THE DARK SIDE OF LIFE AS A NOMAD. Really, I haven't minded the nomadic life overall. Although stressful at times it can also be exciting and carefree. And since I will most likely be a vagrant until my dad gets back from Brazil to build me a house in ID in 2011(SAD), I had better learn to love this lifestyle and I really do.
But here's the one dark side I didn't really ever consider and that is...life as a vagabond is EXPENSIVE. The moving vans, the gasoline, the thank you gifts to moving helpers, etc. It really adds up!
And right now I only really have a bed and a dresser to move from Utah to Idaho and it's going to cost me 350 bucks probably! Poopy. What should I do...just chuck my mattress on the side of the freeway and forget about it? Or I could sell my bed, but who wants some stranger's mattress even if it is 100% PEE STAIN FREE? Or I could store it down here in Utah but a storage unit isn't cheap plus I'd have to rent a truck to get it to and from the storage unit. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
And this, kids, is why you shouldn't be a wanderer.
Oh, and P.S., it is really crappy when your parents are on a mission and you no longer have access to your dad's pickup truck anytime you want. I will never take my parents or their pickup for granted again, never.
So, here's what I think I've finally decided to do. Bite the bullet and flush the 350 or so down the drain and move my bed and dresser to Ideeho. But then once I move it up there it is staying and no matter how long I live as a nomad, even when I come back to Utah in the Fall for school, I'm sleeping on a camping mattress on the floor of wherever I live. And I won't even care what my roommates think of me. Real nomads sleep on the floor anyway.
The end.

4 comments:

Lucy said...

The sad thing is there is probably a pick up truck driving from SLC to Idaho Falls empty every day!!
We just need to get connections going here. Dang that $350.

Curtis and Crystal said...

Becca you're so funny. Well, you're more than welcome to stay with us for a few days. Hint: a few days!!!! Just kidding but if you get bored with all your traveling come up to Twin. See ya this weekend at David's wedding. Oh and about the $350 it probably would be more expensive to buy a new mattress, bed frame, and dresser so I would just move it up here. But, whatever you do good luck and fun travels.

Battfam said...

I was thinking how I loved your bedroom in your condo and it made me a little sad. But, oh well. Too bad your comforter will now be on the floor covering a camp mattress. About the dresser...I was thinking a bunch of grocery bags in designated corners of the bedroom would work. I can't remember who gave me that idea for organization. Oh yeah, I just remembered and now realize I don't need to share that idea with you.
And about the $350...couldn't you just hold on, ask around a little and find someone that would bring it up for like a $100.

Tallie, Aaron, Sterling, Avalon, Truman and Quin said...

Becca, you should totally come and stay with us in AZ! We have a spare bedroom that you could stay in as long as you want. Sterling loves company and you could hang out in the wading pool with us. Pool Party!