Monday, April 19, 2010

When in doubt...blog!



In less than 48 hours I'm supposed to be on my way to Europe.  So, I should be packing, making last minute purchases and working on my "To Do Before Europe" list and "Loose Ends To Tie Up In Case I Ever Die On Vacation" list.  

But, thanks to a ginourmous volcano in Iceland deciding to erupt all of a sudden I don't know if I should bother packing or not. 

I mean come on volcano...you haven't erupted since 1823...couldn't you have just waited a few more months!?!


Apparently not.  


So, I decided to blog a little.  


And, in preparation for my possibly leaving Idaho for a couple of months I've been thinking of ridiculous things about Idaho...things I won't miss...to try to make being away from my beloved state less difficult.  


Things I won't miss while I'm away:

#1: Misspelled and made up words that Idahoans seem to like to use.  


Now I know I'm not perfect...I know I make all kinds of grammatical and spelling errors, but if I was ever in charge of putting up a message on a marquee, I'd double and triple and quadruple check my spelling.  


Looks like not much has changed at Rigby High School...they still aren't properly teaching your versus you're or maybe it just isn't sinking in.  


Dear marquee person...I'm not so sure it's important that you're counted...we could maybe skip over you this time.  


Oh, and sorry that the picture is not that great.  I was taking it while driving on icy roads.  So, maybe I'm not so smart either...but hey, anything for a good blog post.  


Side story:  So, this picture made me think of the good old days in high school when I was on executive council.  At that time the executive council VP was in charge of changing the marquee messages (if I can remember right).  And the VP was my friend and fellow blogger Amy G.S. Well, as you can imagine I always wanted to go out and help her change the marquee (except during snowstorms).  I don't remember whose idea it was...probably Amy's, maybe mine, but for the purpose of the blog we'll blame it on some other unnamed member of student council.  Anyway, we put up on the marquee something like, "Don't be a loser.  Get a date to prom!"  And, as you can imagine shortly thereafter calls from concerned parents who didn't want their kids to "feel like losers" started coming in and we had to change the sign to something nicer but way less funny.

But, to our credit, at least we didn't make the mistake of saying "Don't be a looser.  Get a date to prom!"  Because you know...loose versus lose is also a big problem.  Like the lady who painted up about 50 little key-holders to sell that said, "Don't loose your keys, don't loose your keys, don't loose your keys" before she caught on on how to spell lose.  Sad.


#2 of what I won't miss: Idaho radio stations or the lack thereof.


I know I've mentioned this before but I just have to complain one more time about it.  There are no good stations in Idaho.  But, for some weird reason there are at least 10 Christian rock stations.  Weird.  


I'm starting to see why people sometimes resort to listening to country music...as horrible as it is, it may have trashy dance music, or songs like "Mercyville" by Afterglow, beat.  


Note to self: Look into cost of satellite radio upon return to Idaho.


#3: Creepy doctor guy on Bingham Memorial Hospital commercials. 
Okay, so unless you actually live and watch TV in Idaho you may not find this funny, but anyone know what I'm talking about when I say "creepy doctor guy on Bingham Memorial Hospital commercials?"


I'll do a quick run-down for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about.  So, on the commercial this heavier set doctor with full facial hair is sitting in his office telling you, in a monotone voice, all about the services he can provide now that he's at Bingham Memorial Hospital.  And how, thanks to the "state of the art equipment" there, he can perform many procedures right in his office without having to actually go into the hospital or have much down time. He can even perform "alternatives to hysterectomy, or tie your tubes right in the office, over the lunch break."  


Yes ladies, he did say that he can tie your tubes OVER THE LUNCH BREAK! There are so many things wrong about that on so many levels but let me just say that every time I see this commercial, the image automatically pops into my head of this kinda creepy doctor holding a meatball sub in one hand and tying my tubes with his other.  Oh, and if I let myself dwell too long on the image I see that he has a little bit of marinara stuck in his facial hair.  I know, sick and wrong, sick and wrong.


Side note:  Anybody ever see that Seinfeld where Kramer, I believe, accidentally flips a Junior Mint into some guy's open chest cavity while they're watching a surgery?  This post made me think of that.


#4 Jay Hildebrandt and Karole Honas. 
Need I say more?


Side story: Lee saw Karole Honas at the Blackfoot Fair and asked if he could take his picture with her...the second he asked he felt so dumb and said something like, "ummm the picture is for my grandma...she loves your newscast."  And, my grandma really does like them.  She's a loyal supporter, maybe their last.  I wonder if Lee ever gave my grandma that picture.  I'll have to ask.  


Okay, well, time to go pack, or at least shower.  

12 comments:

Lucy said...

I would really like to see Lee's picture from the fair. (hope it wasn't from 2009)
Also, when do you find out whether your flight is on...or off. Kind of frustrating to say the least.
I don't think I'll ever go to Bingham Memorial now. Never even saw the commercial, either.

Jessica Taylor Blaine said...

It has been said that if you spell something wrong on your signs, or Marquee it gets peoples attention. As it did yours. Hope you get to go on your trip and have a safe one. Thanks for making me laugh.
Jessica

Becca's Blog said...

I know...I want to see Lee's picture too. Maybe he'll post it on his blog.

And yeah, it is funny that the mistake on the marquee actually got my attention more so than if there hadn't been a mistake. So, maybe that Rigby High student knew what they were doing after all.

Anonymous said...

It wasn't from 2009. It was from 2008. She is nice, but owns way too many turtle necks.
-Lee

Amy said...

I believe it was something close to this:

Roses are red,
Homecoming is next week.
Get your date now,
Or end up with a geek.

I can't remember for sure which dance it was for, but I think it was at the beginning of the year and I remember having a hard time getting the words to all fit. But I sure wish I had a picture. That was funny.

20 bucks that the marquee person didn't do it on purpose. Anyone smart enough to do it would be too embarrassed to put it up there.

Becca's Blog said...

Thanks Amy for helping out...apparently my memory isn't too great. All I really remember for sure is the calls from the parents and having to go out and change it. Thanks for reminding me what it really said. And, it was your idea, right? I hope so.

Amy said...

There were a lot of concerned parents of geeks calling. I wish I could have talked to them and told them to find something else to rhyme with week and I'd be glad to change it, but they just got to complain to the principal. I don't really remember whose idea it was, but I'll take credit.

Cassie said...

If & when you get to go on your trip...have fun!
And the whole misspelling stuff...I can feel a post of my own coming on.
(Amy, loved the poem. I wouldn't have called in.)

♥jada said...

I just read an article about a publisher who accidentally printed a recipe book with the typo, "salt and a dash of freshly ground black people"! Whoops!

Battfam said...

Let us know if YOUR going or staying.
Also, tell Amy "freak" rhymes with week, but more parents might have been upset about that than they were "geek."

kiddle97 said...

Becca, I love your (you're?) blog. I always come away having fewer calories than when I started.

Tricia said...

Hope you make it over there!