Monday, April 5, 2010
To Whom it May Concern...
To whom it may concern...
Okay, so I'm finally getting around to applying for jobs. I just finished my resume last week. I sent it for editing to some of my most critical blog readers. I figured that if they enjoy telling me my grammar and spelling errors on my blog, then why not on my resume. I thought it was a good idea.
Anyway...I decided to Google myself to see what information is out there about me that potential employers could easily find...without having to hire a Private Investigator, etc. And...come to find out, all you have to do is Google Becca with my last name and my blog is one of the first things that comes up. I'm not sure why it shows up as I have my security settings set so that my blog should be unsearchable and I've never to my knowledge written my last name right by Becca on my blog. And then I realized that it might be because some people (I won't name any names) have me listed as Becca B@## on their blog rolls.
Now I know that some of you may have done this because your blog roll consists mostly of married people and my name looks so lonely on the list all by itself. I appreciate you thinking of me and trying to make me and my name look less lonely, but if you all could please get rid of my last name from your blog roll it would be much appreciated.
Some other options for my blog on your blog roll could be:
Becca
Becca B.
Becca's Blog
Becca and Nobody
or any other creative title as long as it doesn't contain my last name
For example my friend Amy lists my name with some random guy's name that changes every once in awhile depending on who is in the news. For example right now I'm listed as Becca and Tiger Woods on her blog. I think I may have been previously listed as Becca and Adam Lambert, or Becca and Michael Jackson. Not only does it protect my identity but it gives me a good laugh every time I check her blog.
Sorry to be a pain about this...I'm not trying to be a paranoid person, but until I get a job it might be best if my potential employers don't know that I:
Hate Barack Obama
Think he should admit that he's half white
Sneaked a flat iron through Dominican Airport Security
Break Brazilian import laws and enjoy doing so
etc., etc., etc.
So anyway, we'll see if removing my last name from the blog rolls helps, and if not, I may have to go private for awhile. But just until I get a job...I promise...after that I don't care that my whole life is open for the world to see. I have nothing to hide. I guess I should, but I don't.
Besides, if I do have to go private for awhile it will:
1. Help me get rid of some blog leeches that won't come forth. I REALLY don't mind if people like to read my blog...even people I don't know as long as they aren't crazy people, potential employers, or government spies. It is just weird to run into people I haven't seen for years and have them say, "oh, I read your blog," because then I know nothing about them and they know everything about me including the inner workings of my soul. It makes for really awkward conversations. So come forth blog leeches and have no fear...then I'll surf over to your blog and read up on you, and that way when I run into you at Walgreen's we'll have something to talk about.
2. Help me get rid of some major spam comments I have been getting recently. I don't know why I have had so many spam comments lately...I'm sick of them though. I have no use for Viagra!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know why you Nigerians keep trying to sell it to me! (If anyone knows how to get rid of my crazy spammers, without having to go private, please let me know.)
Anyway, thank you to all of you for removing my last name from your blog roll. If random people find my blog they should at least have to do some major blog surfing to do so...just searching my name on Google is so lazy.
Thanks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
Yippee....I am not one of the people that list last names.
When I googled your name on my computer the only place I find you is a medical tech at ARUP. Maybe it depends on the computer you're using. yikes....is it raining? I just looked out.
Anyway, I'm glad that I don't have to change your name on my bloglist because at the moment I don't remember how!
today has not been my fave (it's actually pretty much sucked. sorry to say so. but it totally did.) and i really needed a little giggle.
and i think i like your friend amy.
good luck with the job search.
Aunt Lucy,
did you try Becca or Rebecca? It's under Becca. That's weird it didn't show up for you.
Geri, I'm glad this post gave you a little giggle. Finals are the worst. Good luck!
done boss lady. you're now becca the spinster on my side bar.
as far as spam goes, i was having the same problem until i added the word verification thing, which yes... is a bit annoying, but so are nigerians hocking viagra.
when are we going to pizzeria 712 again? i need to hear about the trip to argie land!
Thanks Jess...maybe I will have to add word verification. It is super annoying but so are spammers.
I LOVE Pizzeria 712...unfortunately I'm in Idaho right now and will be for awhile. Maybe you'll have to make a road trip up here. I know how you love it here!
Just kidding...I'll try to make it down to Utah maybe in June and then we can do a Hermana trip to Pizzeria 712. Yum!
Hey I just passed a Pizzeria 712 today when I was driving to the University Mall! Maybe I shoulda stopped in for a slice!
Audrey...have you never been to Pizzeria 712? I think it may be the best pizza I've ever had. If you're still in Utah go for sure. Call me if you need help in knowing what to order.
Becca,
Woohoo! You're coming to London! Let me know what the exact dates are so that I can make arrangements...ahem clean my house. ;)
Here is a helpful tip for your blog. I had the same problem a couple months ago (hence why my blog was invisible for a while) because of people putting my name on their blog roll. But you can also go one step further and ask Google to take your blog off their search engine. Just fill out the form:
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals
It will take a few days, but soon it won't show up on search engines. :)
Sweet. Thanks Corrine...I'll fill it out right now.
See you soon!
I had to ask people to do the same thing.
Tiger has made a good sidebar partner for you, but I think it's past time to change his name to Lion or Cheetah.
Maybe you should start going by a super-cool code name on your resumes. Maybe instead of Becca you could be Reb. Since you break Brazilian import laws and all. Then again, maybe Reb wouldn't be such a good code name for potential employers to see. But it would make your resume stand out.
No worries here--I am so computer illiterate I don't even know how to do a side bar..
I am one of the weirdos that sometimes reads your blog. I've commented before. I am Nettie Peterson's sis in law. My blog is private, but if you'd like you can e-mail me your e-mail address so you could read! I do live in Utah so maybe some day I will see you. I probably wouldn't talk to you though since it would be awkward saying "hey I know you, but you don't know me... ummm" Anyway- your blog is just funny and entertaining to read. I promise I am nice and I'm not a serial killer/crazy. ;)
Are these jobs you're applying for in Utah or Idaho or somewhere else entirely?
Rach...so far I'm only looking into jobs in either Idaho or abroad. If I can't find anything there then I'll look into some other states. So, who knows...I may be back in SLC someday.
Post a Comment