Monday, April 12, 2010

Brazil, Argentina, and My Eternal Damnation

I guess it's about time I finished blogging about my trip to Brazil and Argentina.  I've already shown pictures of my time in the Amazon and in Fortaleza but soon I will be blogging pictures of the rest of my trip.  My Aunt Nancy said that if I blogged my trip she would leave me a comment.  And, she's one of my worst blog leeches, so I do whatever I can to get her to comment.  


But before I post a bunch of pictures I thought I'd show you a map of where I went so you'll kind of get a feel for my trip and learn a little geography, in case any of you are ever on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire or Jeopardy.  


I'm not too great at Photoshop, but whatever.  The red dots equal flights, the purplish blue dots equal boat rides, and the greenish blue dots equal bus rides...a lot of really long bus rides.  




Brazil:
*USA to Fortaleza
*Flew from Fortaleza to Belem
*From Belem flew to Santarem
*From Santarem took a 4 hour speedboat to Oriximina
*From Oriximina took a 9 hour night boat back to Santarem
*Flew from Santarem back to Belem
*And from Belem back to Fortaleza
*Flew from Fortaleza to Rio de Janeiro via Campinas (by the way the flight from Campinas to Rio is one of the most beautiful flights I have ever taken and I highly recommend it)
*From Rio took a 8 hour bus ride to Sao Paulo (should have been 6 but was 8 thanks to traffic)
*Flew from Sao Paulo to Iguassu Falls on the Brazil side





Argentina:
*Took a taxi from the Brazil side of Iguassu to the Argentine side
*Took a 9 hour bus ride from Iguassu to Resistencia (aka: the ride with the really stinky air freshener)
*Took an 11 hour bus ride from Resistencia to Tucuman (aka: 11 hours of hell in a sweat lodge)
*Took a 4 hour bus ride from Tucuman to Salta (aka: the ride where we dined and slept with cockroaches)
*Took a 15.5 hour bus ride from Salta to San Juan (aka: the ride where they didn't stop to let us use the bathroom and we didn't want to use the gross bathroom on the bus so we all almost died)
*Took a 2.5 hour bus ride from San Juan to Mendoza (aka: the lap of luxury)
*Took a 4.5 hour bus ride from Mendoza to Villa Mercedes
*Took a 4.5 hour bus ride from Villa Mercedes to Mendoza
*Vowed to never ride a bus again
*Flew home from Mendoza




My Eternal Damnation:
Not SPAM...being single.  Story to follow...

Overall my trip to Brazil and Argentina was pretty wonderful.  In spite of long bus rides, cockroaches, sweat, humidity, bad hair days everyday, creepy guys and all the other things that come with travel, I really had a great time.  

Until...on my last day in Argentina when I got chewed out by a member I knew on my mission and basically told that I would be eternally damned if I didn't soon choose to be married.  

"It just depends where you want to be for all eternity Rebecca...up here (motions with hand) or down there (another hand motion)," she said.

What I wanted to reply:
"Well Sister ________, if being up there means having to spend eternity with a bunch of smug married people (like yourself), then I'd rather spend eternity in the depths of hell."  

But, I didn't know how to say "smug" in Spanish. 

So, instead I just said something along the lines of:
"Yeah, I guess I just need to try harder." 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh sometimes people are so dumb and socially retarded.  I want to start making little badges that say things like:
"I don't know when to shut up" or
"I say stupid things" or 
"I ask inappropriate questions"
and just hand them to people after conversations like the one mentioned above.  

I mean, I already have a major complex about potentially having to spend eternity fanning and feeding grapes to married people...I don't need anyone to remind me of my social status!

Anyway, I just want to say to all those married people out there who say totally jerky things to single people...and I'm not saying all married people are jerks or anything and probably none of my good blog readers are but maybe you guys know some people who are jerks and can refer them to my blog for a little lesson in human decency...anyway, I want to say to all those people that:
1) You are mean
2) I don't like you
3) You are not better than me just because you are married
4) Jesus was single (at least according to www.allaboutgod.com) and so you dang well better be nice to single people!

That's all I have to say about that.  
For now.  





6 comments:

Mardi said...

I hate it when people say things before thinking it through. I don't know how many times I've been asked if I was pregnant and I was certainly not. Crushing really. One girl, after I told her, No I am not pregnant - she said, "Well, are you trying?"

WHAT?

Anyway - set up a date to come to the BIG D and I will set you up with my friend's friend, Charlie. :)

Jessica Taylor Blaine said...

I think when you find Mr. Wonderful you will know. If not maybe God allready took him "up there" to do work and has a plan for you a little later than you would like. Make the cards and hand them out to people. Maybe they will think twice. Hang in there, I think your great.
Jessica

♥jada said...

Becca,you make me laugh. It is fun reading about your travels and domestic adventures--loved the faux hawk chicks.
People can be so rude...what makes marriage, babies, etc. anybody's business? I think there will just always be "those" people to give us the example of what not to be or do or say...the crazies.

Rachel said...

First - seriously - that much time on a BUS - all in the name of travel? You are a patient woman. Second - HOLY CRAZY LADY! I hope you never really think for one second that you need to "try harder." You have PLENTY of time for that perfect man to find you, so continue going about your business enjoying life!!!

Battfam said...

I guess it just goes to show that we need to watch what we say no matter what language we speak. But, just think of all the people you got to see again that didn't say something that made you feel awkward. I'm sure it was great to see them and that most of them said really nice things to you, so go with the nice and try to overlook the mean or stupid or clueless or whatever it is. I do like you idea for the pins though. I've probably earned one myself a time or two, although I really hope not.

Suzie said...

I can't believe how brave you are travelling all around the world...
As for that crazy lady, your story made me laugh. They are everywhere. Once you are married you won't be having kids fast enough. Then you'll be chastized for working when you have kids. Then you won't have enough kids to "replenish".... Funny how people think we all have the ability to control any of these events in life. I'm also voting you go ahead on the pins... maybe you could sell them, then you could "work from home".