Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Domestic Spinster

A few years ago I had this great idea to start a company called "Domestic Spinster."  I think I was going to sell home decor, cooking stuff, sewing stuff, crafty things, etc. 

I even got the Delta American Express Business Card and put the name of my business as "Domestic Spinster," which was printed on the card.  (Yes, I get weird looks/comments if salespeople actually look at my card when I use it.)

I think the company was a great idea.  But there was one major flaw that I realized about the time I got my new Delta American Express Business Card in the mail...and that flaw was that I'm not really all that domestic. 

Sadly, I must admit, I don't even know how to properly boil an egg. 

I'm sure I could learn if I needed to, or figure it out if egg boiling were a life and death situation.  I mean it's all on the Internet, right?

In my defense, I don't really dig boiled eggs...especially egg yokes...yuck!...and I don't have to cook for anyone else very often and I guess that egg boiling just hasn't come up in my life thus far.  My mom will be so ashamed that I'm admitting this, but my conscience bids me tell the truth.

Yeah, so starting a company with the word "Domestic" in the title...probably not the best idea for a spinster like me. 

However, I do have to say that recently I have been quite domestic...more so than usual.  I guess being a SAHS has given me time to explore my domestic side.  And I thought I'd share some of my domesticity with you all. 


First of all I made a little summer quilt for Mitch.  It was a pretty easy quilt but it still took me forever because I have a little problem with perfectionism.


I even wrapped the quilt up (with some other gifts) and gave it to Mitch (well, to his parents) on his blessing day.  It has been so long since I've actually wrapped a gift that it made me feel all domestic.  My brothers usually wrap the gifts they give in Walmart grocery sacks, and I have to admit that in the past couple of years I have begun to adopt their wrapping style (or lack thereof).



I also made these little chick cake pops for Mitchell's blessing day. 


Here they are up close.  My mom found the recipe on Bakerella, but I have to just say for the record here that the faux hawk was my own addition.  (Faux hawk on Bakerella Chick Cake Pops = Copyright 2010 by Becca)  You can use the faux hawk when you make yours but just remember where it came from. 

Also, don't use as much frosting as she says to use and don't bother buying the food safe markers...they won't work and you'll be super mad you wasted eight bucks on them...just use Sharpie.  A little Sharpie never killed anyone (that I know of).  Also, use the Betty Crocker cream cheese frosting (less of a nasty aftertaste...not a huge fan of store bought frosting).  And, make the red velvet cake pops for sure...everybody seems to love them...unless you're making them for kids and then you could have a red food coloring disaster to deal with.  Those are my insider tips. 

I wanted to have a little basket with wheat grass growing in it to stick the chick pops in, but I didn't get home from South America in time to successfully grow any wheat grass.  It would have been so cool.  Dang.  I had to use fake grass instead. 


I also made cake pops for our annual Hen and Chicks party that my Aunt Grace throws for all the women on my mom's side of the family.  I even made a couple of hens, some eggs and some little chicks that sit instead of being on a stick, to go along with my dream cake cupcakes.  Making the cake pops was fun but very time consuming...a job best suited for a SAHS. 

The Hen and Chicks party is definitely the must attend party of the year in our family.  I think the guys are secretly jealous that they aren't invited.  Well, at least my brother Lee is.  He always wants to know what went on at the party...he's usually a little shocked but he asks every year anyway...probably kind of like a car wreck...he wants to look as he drives by, but really doesn't want to see anything too gross.  He even sent me a text message minutes after the party ended to see what the 2010 party gossip was.  Normally his wife Kim fills him in on what happens, but she couldn't make it this year.

Anyway, we kind of have a "what happens at the Hen and Chicks Party stays at the Hen and Chicks Party" policy, or I'd tell you more.  But I will tell you that it is kind of like Girls Gone Wild...Mormon style. 

Anyway, here's a picture of the Hen and Chicks 2010 group.  I think we should have moved the bowl of ginormous pears before we took the picture, but, too late now. 

Oh, and since I had some extra cake pops frozen from Mitchell's big day and the Hen and Chicks party, I went ahead and made them again for Easter Sunday.  I made egg pops too and decorated them with polka dots and zig zags.  They were so cute!  But, due to cake pop decorating and a small wardrobe disaster, I was late to Easter dinner and forgot to take a picture.  So, you'll never know how cute they were, but you'll just have to trust me on it. 

That's all for now...



8 comments:

Lucy said...

You are very domestic...and your pops were great. Sorry I got some grass going, just a week late. It did force me to find our wheat, though.
(cute quilt, too)

Becky said...

Those cake pops look great! Did you like how they tasted? I've read some mixed reviews on that recipe. Looks like a lot of work, but worth the effort. I think you are officially domestic now.

Mardi said...

really cute quilt. I am impressed with your domestic skills. and if you can make chick pops, boiling an egg isn't that big of a deal.

Becca's Blog said...

Becky...
I think the cake pops are good but not fabulous. But, some people seemed to really like them...especially the red velvet. So, either they were just trying to make me feel good or they really did like them.

I think not putting as much frosting as she said to put would help. She said a whole can of frosting per cake...I just used about 2/3 to 3/4 of a can.

Battfam said...

The fauxhawk was a great idea on the chicks. Way cuter than the ones on Bakerella IMO.
I really liked the blanket too. Love the rickrack edge. Love the polky dots. Love the bat.
I think you have more domesticity than you admit. You just haven't had time for it for a while.

Cassie said...

I think you have earned your title on your credit card, Becca.
I thought the chick pops were darling, but I'm still in love with the sitting chickens, mainly the white ones. SO CUTE
Cute quilt!

Christa said...

Oh man Becca. Cake pops are the way to go once you figure out the cake to frosting ratio. Seriously. And try chocolate...that's all I'm going to say. You'll become everyone's bff.

Rachel said...

You are SO domestic Bec! When I think of red velvet, I think of Costco. Done. Now if that is "not domestic" than I don't know what is.