Friday, May 29, 2009

A Word to the LEECHES...

Well, I'm off to Africa on Saturday and since I really should spend tomorrow packing and resting to let my burst eardrums, thanks to SCUBA diving, rest and heal a little I figured I'd put up one last post before I go.
And since the Internet connection where I'll be is said to be spotty at best I can't promise any posts for the next five weeks, although I will try for the sakes of my loyal blog fans, and for myself since I do love blogging, but I can't promise anything. Don't worry though, I will post like mad upon my return.
So, before I let you go, I just have a little special post with my blog leeches in mind. Mostly, this is just a clarification on what a blog leech is because there seems to be some confusion out there in the blogging world about the true definition of a blog leech. And I'm pretty sure I made up that term (so I get to clarify it) and boy has it caught on...please tell me I did make it up...I want to be famous for something.
Just because you don't have a blog doesn't necessarily mean that you are a blog leech. As long as you comment occasionally on the blogs you read YOU ARE NOT A LEECH. You don't have to be an artist to appreciate fine art.
And...even if you do have a blog, but you don't comment on those blogs you do read, then YOU ARE A LEECH.
So, your leechyness or lack thereof is not dependent upon whether or not you blog. It is entirely dependent upon whether or not you comment, at least occasionally, on the blogs you read.
Here's the way I look at it...first of all, if I wanted people that I only know really well to read my blog then I'd make it private. So, I don't care if you are a friend of a friend or someone I knew in high school or my great-Aunt's ex-husband's new wife. If you enjoy regularly reading this blog then please leave a comment occasionally. Even if I don't know you, as long as you aren't a scary weirdo then I don't care if you read my blog and comment.
And if I find out that you do read my blog and don't comment (and I actually know who WAY more of my leeches are then you could ever imagine...I have my sources) then I will think you are a scary, weirdo, stalker who has some crazy fascination with me and my blog. So there.
And really, may I just say that if you regularly read a blog but you don't have something to say regarding every 5th post or even every 10th post then do yourself a favor and LOG OFF YOUR COMPUTER RIGHT NOW AND STOP WASTING YOUR TIME! Because if you aren't interested enough in what you are reading enough to comment at least occasionally then why are you reading these blogs? Don't you leeches have anything else better to do? Just wondering.
And at the same time nobody should feel obligated to comment on every post you read. Sometimes you just read it and you are like, "that was boring," or "that was long," or "good post but I have nothing to say," or maybe you get distracted right before you go to comment. It is okay not to comment EVERY time but it is okay to comment every time too. Whatever you want.
So to those leeches out there (and you know who you are and I probably even know who you are)...take this five weeks that I won't probably be blogging much and go back, look over some of my posts and comment on your favorite one. You have nearly 200 to choose from.
And in conclusion may I just say that...

Peace and love (even to the leeches),

Becca

14 comments:

Jessica Taylor Blaine said...

Good Luck on your trip. I hope your ears handle the flight well.
Jessica Taylor
(Brian Taylor Sister)

Lucy said...

Have a good trip and how is that ear treatment working for you?
Bon Voyage

Cassie said...

Have a fun & safe trip.

Mardi said...

the eyeball leech picture is really gross. i'm the first to comment...does that make me less of a leech. and how often do i have to comment to NOT be a leech? have fun traveling and be safe (i get that from my mom).

Becca's Blog said...

Mardi...I don't like to set an official rule in stone as to how often people need to comment because I don't need any insincere comments.

It is kind of like Visting Teaching...you should do it once a month but you should also do it because you want to and not to just get it checked off the list. And just like Visting Teaching, if it isn't regular and sincere, don't bother.

Mardi, you comment though so you are doing just fine. Don't lose any sleep over it.

And Jessica Taylor Blaine, welcome to the club!

kate said...

did you really burst your eardrums,or is that a Furness-style fish tale?

Becca's Blog said...

Kate...my eardrum burst is a self diagnosis since I don't really usually go to doctors. Let's just say that I haven't been able to get the pressure to equalize in my ears for nearly a week now and I can't hear out of my right ear.

Yeah, SCUBA diving really probably isn't the hobby for me. I've never ruined my ears rollerblading or scrapbooking.

Battfam said...

Wow, that was a blog leech spanking if I've ever read one. I don't know if Al Gore invented the Internet and I don't know if you came up with the term, "blog leech," but at least there is no doubt about your definition and how you feel about being leeched. I don't know if calling the leeches out will do any good, but at least you tried.

Battfam said...

Kate, I don't know if Rebecca burst her eardrum, but I know she can't hear out of it. You know how you talk EXTRA loud when you can't hear? Well, she called me the other day and now I think she burst MY eardrum.

Chris and Cindy said...

Dude...I sure hope your ear is okay since flying might rupture your eardrum if it already hasn't!!! GOOD LUCK! Sorry we didn't get together before you left... Another crazy month. I can't wait to hear all about Africa.
AND, that picture of the leech on the eye is DISGUSTING! When I worked in the hospital we had to put leeches on a guys toe to help improve circulation...and then we would find loose leeches crawling down the hallway...YUK!!!
Hasta Luego Amiga!!!

Attitude of Gratitude said...

Okay, I am a leech according to your terms. My 'leechiness' began with an initial exposure to one of your witty posts and what can I say I am amused and can't help myself--you're funny. There I said it--I'm out. I feel so much better. In case you have no idea who I am, my grandparents are Hal and MaryAn--I am there only son Dallas's daughter and grew up in Mudlake. and Mardi is right--the eye leech pic is totally gross.

Anonymous said...

You got a bunch of comments on that one but they were all sincere. Do not get acquainted with any leeches in Africa. Ignore them.
Have fun.
Gran

♥jada said...

I am coming out of the leech closet...I have been here a handful of times and never commented. You make me laugh like you did in high school. After reading your post, I will lurk a little more and leech less! Have a great time in Africa...☺
jada taylor rhodes

Becca's Blog said...

What's up leeches? I'm so glad to see that a few of you are coming clean. Doesn't it feel good????