When we were little kids we quite often would dress up according to what TV show/movie we were watching or had just watched or act out parts of what we had just seen.
I remember running around with a Superman t-shirt and cape on after watching Superman. I remember putting on our Lone Ranger masks when we watched the Lone Ranger. Russell once used a pocket knife to carve a nice big letter Z in his bedroom door after watching Zorro. We did ninja moves on each other after watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. We quoted parts from Aladdin over and over. The boys wrapped towels around broomsticks and tried to knock each other off of the trampoline after American Gladiators Came out. We attempted to rap like Will Smith after watching The Fresh Prince of Bel-air ("Chillin out, maxing, and relaxin all cool and all shooting some b-ball outside of the school..." Yes, those lyrics do come from my AMAZING memory.) Etc, etc.
Most kids probably do these kind of things...dress up, try out new accents, and mimic what they see on TV or in movies (which is sort of scary considering how many violent/weird/creepy movies there are now.)
But one person I know has carried these behaviors into adulthood...well into adulthood. And that person is my brother Lee.
I think I knew that Lee was a little different when it came to taking movies/TV to heart when as a high-schooler the boys were downstairs watching ROCKY and Lee pauses the movie, runs upstairs, cracks a couple of eggs into a glass and drinks them raw. And why wouldn't he drink raw eggs?...Rocky did.
After we went to see Iron Man last year, Lee spent the rest of the night with either his cell phone or iPod underneath his shirt with the light coming through the shirt to mimic Iron Man's heart and kept saying over and over with his best Iron Man accent, "I am Iron Man. I am Iron Man." Oh, and he did this while we were at DQ getting a little something to eat after the show.
When Forrest Gump came out several years ago Lee enjoyed pretending to be Forrest Gump (he even had the same haircut as Forrest). Oh, and yes he liked doing this in public too. One whole family vacation he pretended to be handicapped anytime we were out of the car. And yes, I have pictures to prove this. I'll have to find them and post them someday.
If you watch a boxing movie with Lee, expect to get punched afterward. If you watch any movie with a Russian in it, expect to hear the Russian accent for HOURS afterwards. And lots of spy/action type movies have Russians in them because Russians are almost always the bad guys. Actually, anyone with any accent will get mimicked by Lee but after about 2 minutes, no matter what accent Lee's trying to do, it turns into a Russian accent anyway.
So I don't even know why it would surprise me that last night when we were all eating dinner after going to see STAR TREK that Lee would take on the Spock character and give me a little lecture that went like this....
"Becca, this fear of SCUBA diving is only because you are thinking like a human. You always let emotion guide your actions and not logic. Do you logically think you are going to drown when you are SCUBA diving?"
Me to Lee/Spock: "No, I don't LOGICALLY think that. But when you are in the Aquatic Center feeling like you are drowning you aren't going to stop and think to yourself, 'now I feel like I'm totally drowning, but my logic tells me that I'm not.' Heck no, if you feel like you are drowning you freak out and try to save yourself."
Lee/Spock to me: "You need to suppress your human ways and try to take on the Vulcan mindset. Let logic be your guide..."
So, I'd just like to say, "Thank you Mr. Spock for reminding me that we humans need to let logic and not just emotion guide our actions...very inspiring, very inspiring."
Oh and P.S. for those of you who haven't seen Star Trek yet it is pretty dang good...even if you aren't normally the nerdy Sci-fi type. It is especially good because Spock in the new movie is pretty dang hot...nerdy hot but still hot. Plus sometimes nerdy hot is the best kind of hot there is.
And special thanks to Tyler for helping me Spockatize Lee in the picture above.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER everyone. The end.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Thank you Mr. Spock
When we were little kids we quite often would dress up according to what TV show/movie we were watching or had just watched or act out parts of what we had just seen.
I remember running around with a Superman t-shirt and cape on after watching Superman. I remember putting on our Lone Ranger masks when we watched the Lone Ranger. Russell once used a pocket knife to carve a nice big letter Z in his bedroom door after watching Zorro. We did ninja moves on each other after watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. We quoted parts from Aladdin over and over. The boys wrapped towels around broomsticks and tried to knock each other off of the trampoline after American Gladiators Came out. We attempted to rap like Will Smith after watching The Fresh Prince of Bel-air ("Chillin out, maxing, and relaxin all cool and all shooting some b-ball outside of the school..." Yes, those lyrics do come from my AMAZING memory.) Etc, etc.
Most kids probably do these kind of things...dress up, try out new accents, and mimic what they see on TV or in movies (which is sort of scary considering how many violent/weird/creepy movies there are now.)
But one person I know has carried these behaviors into adulthood...well into adulthood. And that person is my brother Lee.
I think I knew that Lee was a little different when it came to taking movies/TV to heart when as a high-schooler the boys were downstairs watching ROCKY and Lee pauses the movie, runs upstairs, cracks a couple of eggs into a glass and drinks them raw. And why wouldn't he drink raw eggs?...Rocky did.
After we went to see Iron Man last year, Lee spent the rest of the night with either his cell phone or iPod underneath his shirt with the light coming through the shirt to mimic Iron Man's heart and kept saying over and over with his best Iron Man accent, "I am Iron Man. I am Iron Man." Oh, and he did this while we were at DQ getting a little something to eat after the show.
When Forrest Gump came out several years ago Lee enjoyed pretending to be Forrest Gump (he even had the same haircut as Forrest). Oh, and yes he liked doing this in public too. One whole family vacation he pretended to be handicapped anytime we were out of the car. And yes, I have pictures to prove this. I'll have to find them and post them someday.
If you watch a boxing movie with Lee, expect to get punched afterward. If you watch any movie with a Russian in it, expect to hear the Russian accent for HOURS afterwards. And lots of spy/action type movies have Russians in them because Russians are almost always the bad guys. Actually, anyone with any accent will get mimicked by Lee but after about 2 minutes, no matter what accent Lee's trying to do, it turns into a Russian accent anyway.
So I don't even know why it would surprise me that last night when we were all eating dinner after going to see STAR TREK that Lee would take on the Spock character and give me a little lecture that went like this....
"Becca, this fear of SCUBA diving is only because you are thinking like a human. You always let emotion guide your actions and not logic. Do you logically think you are going to drown when you are SCUBA diving?"
Me to Lee/Spock: "No, I don't LOGICALLY think that. But when you are in the Aquatic Center feeling like you are drowning you aren't going to stop and think to yourself, 'now I feel like I'm totally drowning, but my logic tells me that I'm not.' Heck no, if you feel like you are drowning you freak out and try to save yourself."
Lee/Spock to me: "You need to suppress your human ways and try to take on the Vulcan mindset. Let logic be your guide..."
So, I'd just like to say, "Thank you Mr. Spock for reminding me that we humans need to let logic and not just emotion guide our actions...very inspiring, very inspiring."
Oh and P.S. for those of you who haven't seen Star Trek yet it is pretty dang good...even if you aren't normally the nerdy Sci-fi type. It is especially good because Spock in the new movie is pretty dang hot...nerdy hot but still hot. Plus sometimes nerdy hot is the best kind of hot there is.
And special thanks to Tyler for helping me Spockatize Lee in the picture above.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER everyone. The end.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm glad your brothers are keeping you entertained this summer.
The Iron Man phone thing made me laugh out loud.
Oh - pure and free entertainment. I could totally picture Lee with his phone over his heart.
You guys crack me up!
Hey thanks again for watching the babe while we had a night out! It was soooooooo nice to not have to pack around a big ol carseat and even nicer that I never worried about her once cuz I knew she was with you! (sounds real sappy, but it is true)
Great review! Brian and I were going to see Wolverine or Star Trek tonight. Nerdy hot Spock it is!
Live long and prosper.
-Lee
Post a Comment