Sunday, May 10, 2009

Where should I go for the big 30?

So, as my loyal blog fans and buggy blog leeches know, I'm turning the big 30 this August.
I always told myself that if I was still single at 30 I'd buy myself some Bling-bling if you know what I mean. But as that date is fast approaching and I find myself in a very single state of being I don't really want any bling.
First of all, I don't need to draw any attention to my man hands with bling and second of all I just don't want to buy into the whole De Beers diamond marketing ploy. Thirdly I'd rather spend the money on something more fun like a trip and fourth of all I still haven't given up ALL hope (not for another year or two) that someday someone else (hopefully a half normal, straight, employed or seeking higher education, English-speaking, Mormon male) may want to buy me a little left handed bling if you know what I mean.
So, a trip it is. But I don't know where to go for sure. That's where blog fans and leeches who would like to come out of the leech closet come in. Let me know where you think I should go to celebrate my birthday this year.
The only real requirements I have for this birthday trip is that it be to a foreign country that I have never visited before, that it is a place that is good to visit in August because I want to actually be there on my exact birthday, and that it isn't too incredibly expensive so that I can convince somebody to go with me or if it is expensive that it is safe enough that I'll be okay travelling there alone.
Since the place I go for my birthday has to be somewhere new, here's an updated list of the countries I have already visited so you know which ones not to suggest.
*USA(born and raised) *Australia *Canada(2 times) *United Kingdom(3 times) *Ireland *Israel *Jordan *Egypt *Argentina(2 times) *China/Hong Kong *Guatemala(4 times) *Honduras *Mexico(3 times)*Uruguay *Chile *Peru *Holland(2 times) *Germany *Austria *Czech Republic *Thailand *France(2 times) *Hungary *Slovakia *Poland *Ukraine *Belgium *Ethiopia*Kenya*Portugal*Spain*Morocco
*Paraguay*Brazil (3 times)*Costa Rica*Belize(2 times)*
So take a look at the map and suggest somewhere fun for me to celebrate my 30th birthday. If you are the FIRST person to suggest the country where I end up going, I'll bring you back something special from that place. So suggest away...

21 comments:

Corrine said...

I don't see Italy, Croatia or Antarctica on your list! Or maybe the fancy fjords of Norway?

Battfam said...

Go to Canada, but to Eastern Canada. It will feel like a different country, even though it isn't. Or, there is always Antarctica.

Suzie said...

I was thinking Antarctica too... or Italy, I can't believe you haven't been to Italy...

Suzie said...

Ohhh... I have an even better one that Italy.... how bout Switzerland & Austria??? You could go to the land of the sound of Music... with some of the greatest spinsters ever!!!

Becca's Blog said...

Hey guys...thanks for your suggestions so far. I'm planning on going to Antarctica soon but you can really only travel there December through February so it won't work for my birthday. I'm hoping to go this next January if I can find someone to go with me.

And I would love to go to Italy for my birthday. The reason I haven't been there yet is because I've been saving Italy for a trip where I could really dedicate enough time to see it thourougly. Now, my problem is that everyone else has already been there so I haven't been able to find anyone to go there with me. Anyone out there want to go??? Maybe I'll just go there by myself. It probably isn't too dangerous of a place.

kate said...

when is your birthday? if it is before school starts, I could be easily persuaded into coming. Also, if it is CHEAP ;)
But yeah, I have been to Italy, and although I loved it, I probably would love to go somewhere else

Becca's Blog said...

My birthday is August 14th...so it is definitely before school starts. I'll expect you at my 30th birthday bash then Kate?

kate said...

depending on price, 87% yes.

Bobbi said...

I say you stay somewhat close to home...that way it's not too expensive so you can keep saving for Antarctica...maybe California to hit all the theme parks AND get on The Price is Right. Then you and your friends traveling can all wear really cool t-shirts that match! That would make a "hilarious" story later. Or you could stay in town and we could all meet at Leo's Place. That's where Rook was hoping I would choose to go for my birthday dinner last week. (didn't happen)

Becca's Blog said...

Leo's place??? At least I'd probably be the first 30 year old in history to have a birthday party there. I may even get my picture in the Post Register. Not a bad idea...

Tell Rookie if I do have my birthday party there, he's invited.

Cassie said...

How about Japan? Lots of neat things to see there.

Mike & Jenny Thornton said...

Uncle Mike says Japan. They have a Disney World there. What else could you wanat? I say visit NYC. Go to a Broadway play and stand on top of the Empire State Building on your b-day. Aunt Jen

Tallie, Aaron, Sterling, Avalon, Truman and Quin said...

I think you should go to Turkey. It is by far the best place we have gone. Great shopping, Great food and Turkish baths.

Kim and Rol said...

I totally think Antarctica!!! How many people can say they turned 30 in Antarctica??? Or go to Cambodia and Vietnam. . .very cool too andn they have big spiders you can eat. . .a yummy b-day dinner!

Audrey said...

I say Japan too! Mostly cuz I really wanna go there and cuz I know you wanna go there too!
Side note, I am going to be in NYC on your birthday SO if you do decide to go there let me know and we can meet up for a Broadway while Lane is at a Yankee's game?!

Chris and Cindy said...

I have two suggestions that could be one... GREECE AND/OR ITALY. I LOVED Greece and would go back to Italy in a heartbeat! I felt safe in both. Can I come?!?! :)

kate said...

Greece. Let's go to Greece Beccca. Or Prague

kate said...

or Japan. It's your birthday. . . I guess . . . ;)

Christa said...

I have a friend who lives in Japan if you go there.

Tallie, Aaron, Sterling, Avalon, Truman and Quin said...

We took a great cruise that did Athens, Greece, a bunch of the Greek islands, Istanbul and Ephasus in Turkey. It was really fun. I know Aaron's parents did a cruise that started in Italy, went to Greece, Turkey and Egypt. Way cool too. I still loved Turkey and felt really safe in Turkey and Greece. The people there love tourists and will give you directions and even walk you to where you want to go. Of course, then they try and sell you a rug. I am kind of anti-Italy. We couldn't find descent Italian food and everyone smelled (I was pregnant and could smell everything really well, too.) Plus, the first time I was ever pushed out of the way by a guy so he could go through a door before me was in Italy.

Becky said...

I turn 30 on Saturday and what do you think I'm doing... going to Italy? Greece? Antarctica?... Nope I'm staying home and doing nothing... How boring? I'm starting my pity party NOW!! You should take Me on your trip!!

Where ever you go you'll have a blast ~ you always DO!!