This weekend I talked my roommate Sarah Joy into going into Asuncion. She doesn't like to leave the school much and I
have to leave at least once a week to re-group so I can come back all refreshed and ready for a new week of fighting the wild here. And since this was my last weekend in Paraguay and there were a few places we wanted to go to we decided to leave the school and have a little mini-break.
I realize that in my writing so much about all my freaky animal experiences here I have neglected to write much about the school where I'm working or anything else for that matter. I will later this week though, I promise. Here's just a few pics with commentary to keep my blog fans and leeches fed though until I can get more time and a better Internet connection.

There are all these pinky purple flowering trees here that are in bloom right now...yeah, I don't get it because it is the middle of the winter but I won't complain because they are gorgeous trees.

Mercado Cuatro in downtown Asuncion...it is huge and you can buy everything from undies to lettuce to fake DVDs...whatever you want and a bunch of stuff you probably don't want too.

I'm thinking of getting this frog for my yard to remind me of my visit to Paraguay...that is if I ever get a yard or a place to live for that matter!

Sarah Joy and I at the Temple again. The Temple is right next to the chapel where we attended church so we decided to get a picture together since everybody thinks we look like Sister Missionaries. I guess we are tall and blond and white and walking two by two, but HELLO I was wearing flip flops (or as my dad would say "thongs"). I know, I know...flip flops to church? I normally never ever would but we had to walk like 45 minutes or an hour to get there and I just didn't want to carry any dressier shoes to change into and I didn't even want to attempt to wear dress shoes with how the sidewalks are here. I know, LAZY. In my defense however, they are nice flip flops with leather straps...and I'm in Paraguay.

Me with some members of the church from Asuncion. Sarah and I met the brother at a YSA party we went to this weekend and then we ended up at his ward today for church. We got talking and one of the sisters asked me where I was from and I said Idaho. She then said, "which part?" which surprised me because usually I have to repeat just the name of the state like 10 times and then people still think that I'm from Ohio because Idaho is just hard for them to say or understand in Spanish. So anyway I told her that I was from the Idaho Falls area. She said that she and her family had been there and had stayed with some friends that live north of Idaho Falls. And I'm like "Hey I am from just north of Idaho Falls." So I named every little town I could think of (because she couldn't remember exactly where her friends were from) and we finally figured out that the friends of her family were from Hamer. Their last name is Ball and I think she said that their first names are Robert and Debbie or something like that. So if any of you Mud Lakers know them you can tell them that I met their Paraguayan friends and you can show them this picture on my blog. Anyway, it is a small world...especially in the church. I guess the Ball guy taught their grandparents the gospel or something. So there you go.
9 comments:
We know Robert & Debbie. I will tell Debbie's mom on Tuesday. She works on our shift.
Looks like Paraguay has some beautiful spots for sure.
Rebecca,
Debbie Ball is George and Ruth Hansen's daughter. They are grandpa and grandma's friends from Monteview. Aunt Ellen
In Arizona, almost everyone wears flip flops to church. Not sure if that helps any, but you're not the only one.
Actually some of those pictures look like they could have been taken here. We had some purple trees in bloom when we first arrived. I hear this city has a big market like the one in your picture, but I haven´t been there yet. Maybe we can do that when you are here and you can barter for me. I did find the BonPreco, South America´s WalMart the other day. I know there is a lot more to be found. There is a place called Centro that the missionaries talk about that we need to get to also. See you in a few days.
I don't think the Lord minded--He was probably just glad you were at the temple.
I just looked at your tarantula post...Oh My!! I think I need to go throw up right now.
The fruit and veggie stands look so delicious. I hope you are having a fantastic time!
What a pretty tree. I love flowering trees. The temple there looks just like ours here in Ohio. I'm glad you are having a good time.
hey nice thongs.
I've been reading all your blobs and love them. You have had some great experiences. I hope you have time to stop by when you get home.
Love,
Grandma
Post a Comment