Here's a cute picture of my mom in front of an adorable and well-maintained house that was across the street from the LDS Branch building in Russas, Brazil. The house had such a great yard so we had to get a picture. My last Sunday in Brazil my parents and I and one of the APs went to Russas so my dad could do a Temple Recommend interview.
Russas is a cute little town maybe about 2 and a half or three hours outside of Fortaleza. I guess I should find out the actual distance since the time it takes doesn't really mean anything as the roads are quite rough on the way to Russas and it could actually be pretty close to Fortaleza. At one point we were on a road (a highway actually) with potholes big enough to swallow a car. It was a pretty interesting drive...especially because my dad was driving...and there are a lot of sound effects that go along with my dad driving in Brazil.
I have this thought that I have sometimes at church when I am in areas of the world that are poorer or just where the church is newer...whether it is a branch in Ethiopia, Argentina, Paraguay, Guatemala, Ukraine, Thailand, Brazil...or anywhere else where I have attended church. This time it really hit me in Paraguay but was re-enforced to me out in some of these smaller branches of the church in my Parents' mission.
Here's the deep thought...What if we were all stripped down to just what we were...our basic characters? What would we really be? What if we didn't have a nice fat wad of cash in the bank, a retirement fund, or a beautiful, comfortable, large and spacious home? What if we didn't have cars, snowmobiles, or 4-wheelers? What if we didn't have nice clothes or even food to eat? And then after all of our physical things were taken away what if we didn't have our educations and experiences...our Bachelor's Degrees, Master's, PhDs, etc? Our travels, hobbies, or opportunities to progress? What if we didn't have the pride of doing well at our jobs or of starting our own successful businesses? Or even families...what if we didn't have families anymore? What if no one was married with kids...so you couldn't even base what kind of a person you are on how good of a parent or spouse you are? What if you were just you? Who would you be?
I don't know if that really makes sense to anyone but me. I have been told before that I don't see the world like a normal person does (I'll take that as a compliment thank you very much!) But if you do get what I'm talking about, think about it. It is sort of a scary thing to ask yourself. Take away everything that makes me feel successful in life and every opportunity I have had and who am I? And the really scary thing is that at some point in our existence that will happen. I know that I will fall short.
I guess the reason this thought sometimes comes to me at church in areas where people don't have all of the worldly comforts and opportunities we have is because it is easier to see people for who they really are because who they really are isn't masked as much by success in a career, service in the church, or even success in family. Many of them are poor, are new converts to the church and some come from horrible family situations. But they are still amazing people pressing forward and trying to live the gospel as they best can.
I love going to church in other countries, I do. I love meeting the members and hearing their stories of conversion and feeling the Spirit with them. I love meeting people who are so proud to be the first member of the church in their family and who are AMAZED when you tell them you were baptized at the age of 8. I love seeing a darling little girl in front of me in Sacrament Meeting quietly pretending to paint her fingernails with her spit and then holding her hand out in front of her an sort of turning it side to side in admiration of her work. I love that the girls ALL proudly wear their Young Women medallions. I don't think I ever even wore mine once...what a brat (except for maybe when I was a nerdy Beehive).
And even when you are a visitor in some of these foreign wards people seem to look up to you as an example or at least look at you like you are a freak show because sometimes you are the first American they have ever met.
I mean, I have been a member all my life, I should be an example. And it almost makes me feel bad when people do seem to sort of look to me, as a long time member and as an American...when the little boy at a fireside in Brazil tapped me on the shoulder and I turned around and he stuck out his hand with a big grin on his face...you'd think he'd met a celebrity. Or the kids and adults running up to you after church to meet you. Or the little girls sitting next to me saying "I Luv Voce (I love you)" minutes after meeting them.
And I think to myself, 'Don't be amazed and excited to meet me...when you strip us all down to just what we are I am less than you. I have done less with what I have.' That's what I think. Now I don't feel I am some horrible person (contrary to popular belief). I have just been thinking lately of what I really am and who the real me will prove to be when that day comes that we are just what we are...not covered up by Citizenship in the greatest nation on earth, being born in the church, having money, clothes, and an education.
Sorry for the deep post. I know though that those who can't handle deep thoughts saw the length of this post and skipped right over it...so I guess I don't have to worry about being too deep! THE END!
8 comments:
Loved the post--it's easy to get caught up in all that extra stuff.. Thanks for the reminder
i didnt skip over your blog. i like deep thoughts. i hope i am an ok person without the other crap too.
I really liked your "deep" post, Becca. I've had thoughts like that before, but never really known how to round them up and express them as well as you did.
P. S. I can't believe you wrote this AND the Bigfoot post. Somehow it just doesn't seem like the same person wrote them. On second thought, we all have our "deep thought" moments and our "Bigfoot" moments I guess. Hopefully we just don't have too many "deep thoughts about Bigfoot" moments.
I just love to hear about all of the things you have experienced... We need to be reminded that we have to work daily on "ourselves" and forget about what the world "sees"!
I liked your post Becca - it got me thinking about who I would be without everything that I have. I also love how you always have been able to see the best in people and even though you joke around, I always was amazed at how you saw people for who they really were and you always gave them a chance . . . you were even nice to that guy who gave us the job offer . . . if I could have spoken Spanish as well as you, I don't think I could have been that nice. I love reading your blog and thinking of all our memories!
That was really nice, Bec. Something to think about, definitely.
Gteat thoughtful post! I too sometimes wonder how I would feel about "myself" with out some of the things I have... I need to work on that!
Also, I am dying over how YOUNG the Branch Presidency is!!! You are right.. they ALL look 12!
Tell your dad, I totally wouldn't have seen him behind that tree, if I didn't spot his sandwich he was holding! TOO FUNNY!
i teared up.
& i feel like i need to do some self-evaluation.
inspiring.
Post a Comment