The picture below was taken by my sister-in-law Kim. She and my brother Lee just said that they thought of me when they saw the sign...on their HONEYMOON by the way. I wasn't offended at all that they thought of me when they saw it...it was probably because I'm always joking about the SRM (Singleton Rights Movement) and how just like the Civil Rights and Female Rights and Handicapped People Rights and all the other Rights Movements of the past, someday we will have the Singleton Rights Movement. And then people will look back on the time before the SRM and say,
"Wow, I can't believe we used to treat single people that way. I feel sick inside."

Now, married blog readers and leeches, don't go thinking I'm all weird and depressed. Sometimes I like to joke, complain, and/or talk about being single because guess what, that is what I am, SINGLE.
I don't know why but sometimes I feel like I have to hold back in writing about single life on my blog. I mean, young mothers have MOM BLOGS (thank you Christa for explaining that one to us)...and on those MOM BLOGS they share the ups and downs of being a mother...the blow outs, the fits, the potty-training (that's a popular topic), and the daily struggles of being a mom along with the joys of motherhood and wifeyhood too. But as a Spinster for some reason I feel that if you say one thing about Spinsterhood...whether good or bad...that all of a sudden people think you are "bitter" or "don't want to get married" or "selfish" or "fill in the blank."
But in life
the grass is always greener where you water it. And if you are spending all your time looking over your fence at your neighbor's grass, then you'll forget to water, mow and fertilize your own...and then you're in trouble.
So as an attempt to water my own grass I've decided to start a new installment on my blog called "Today I'm glad I'm a Spinster because...," where I'll occasionally give a reason why I'm glad that I'm still single. Some reasons may be serious, others funny, and others just simply reasons that are neither funny nor serious. (This installment was designed specifically with my good Spinsty friend Kate in mind.)
Now, does this mean that I don't want to get married? NO, of course not. I would love to be married to someone normal...and by being married be considered normal myself.
Does this mean that I want to be a Spinster forever? NO, of course not. However...I am going to enjoy and take advantage of every Spinster moment I have.
Does this mean that you all should stop setting me up with all those normal, employed or seeking higher education, English speaking, non-HALO playing, LDS guys that you all know? NO, NO, NO! Bring it on!
Does this mean that I think that everyone who
isn't a Singleton has a boring and horrible life...NO, of course not. I do have a lot of married readers but I am watering my own grass, remember? And you can water your own and come up with things that are great about your lives...no matter what stage of life you are in. So I'm not trying to say what is bad about not being single...I am just trying to say what is good about being single.
So that was a very long introduction to this new Becca's Blog installment. But here we go.

Today I'm glad I'm a SpInSTer because...
Tonight I was shopping at TARGET...looking at the Thank You cards (because I love buying Thank You cards) and there was this young pregnant couple in the aisle with me looking at cards too...Baby Shower Gift Thank You Cards. The wifey found some she liked and the husband for some reason didn't like them...maybe too expensive or something, I don't know. I was trying not to act like I was paying attention but I totally was as they went back and forth comparing cards, prices, and talking about which of their friends had already used which Baby Shower Gift Thank You Cards. And I thought to myself, 'Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I can buy any stinking cards I want (well, maybe not the Baby Shower Gift Thank You Cards as I would have no use for something like that) and there isn't anyone to tell me that they are too expensive or not practical...or just someone else to complicate the decision. I can buy the cards that are $2.99 a pack or the ones that are $12.99 a pack! And that's why today I am enjoying being single. The end for now.
10 comments:
Ding!
ok, now you're just making me jealous...
More power to you, Becc. I think you should definitely enjoy life before it becomes complicated and you have to worry about everyone else. Travel, spend money and have fun before you can't travel and money goes to diapers. Oh and Sterling wants you to know that he thinks the picture of the older woman on your blog is a "scary monster."
very nice. i really hope you dont mind that picture and please please please dont fertilize someone elses lawn- something sounds so wrong about that
That really was a long introduction. Also, I think you would buy the Thank-you cards you wanted whether you were a spinster or whether you were a wifey and that is not a bad thing.
That last card has it right. Is that your mom? I enjoy doing what I want, when I want and etc.,as well. Love ya.
FSF
All this talk of doing what you want when you want is making me jealous.
I just don't ask Toby for his opinion on the things that I'm going to do what I want to anyway. Some girls (wifeys') want their husbands approval on EVERYTHING... soooo buggy!!
Oh please, single people have it soooo easy. No ball and chain to tote around, 6$ a month health insurance, frequent flier miles, and they get to go to dances. Married people can't do any of that, especially the dances part. Plus once you get married, all that lovy duvy pda stuff goes out the window.
Becca,
So no Halo-playing dudes for you either? Thank heaven for that! Loved this post.
Post a Comment