baby blue, bench seats, no muffler...just right
a ford falcon futura from 1964
a blast from the past, you were anything but a bore
i always wanted an old car, i don't really know why
so when you came up for sale, I could only think 'buy, buy, buy'
2000 bucks you cost me, what a steal
now i had my own car, this time for real!
now i had my own car, this time for real!
phyllis, i named you, it just seemed to stick
your seat belts were true belts, they didn't go "click"
it was so fun to drive you, you were so big inside
that when i went anywhere i could take everyone for a ride
and lucky for me you were really loud
that everywhere i went i was sure to draw a crowd
but the truth of the matter is that you were pretty old
you had trouble running, especially in the cold
i just couldn't care for you in the way that i should
and you deserved more from me, you were so good
so a few years later,regrettably, i sold you
something i was so sorry to have to do
even now, years later, you are the favorite car i ever had
because really, overall, you were so rad
and that's why now i'm sad
too bad

7 comments:
Kim B. you got my inspired with your "Ode to Christa" so I just had to write one to Phyllis. Sorry to copy, except I guess mine is a little different since it was to a car instead of to a human.
Man, that is one sweet car.
one word becca, chills.
Why Chills? Is it my amazing gift with poetry that amazes you? What is it?
yes exactly... the words you wrote about dear sweet phylis were very touching.
Nice poem Becca,
Your car had a decent name...we called ours the old grey goose, and the big Red van....everyone knew who was comming in that one :).
Becca, I almost cried when I saw the picture. I miss Phyllis too. Then I almost laughed when I remembered the night we were on the County Line Road and somebody passed us and flipped a rock that chipped Phyllis's front window. You took it so well. MOM
Post a Comment