Last weekend I went home to Idaho for a quick visit. I love going home to visit my family and to breathe some fresh air (even if it smells a little like cow poo). I hate coming back though. I always have a mini little break down when I cross back over into Utah. So if you ever pass some girl crying heading south at the Idaho/Utah border, it is probably me. I just hate that I'm the only one in my family that lives away. I feel like I miss out on so much even though in reality it is really mostly just like Groundhog Day over and over with my family and I'm probably just missing repeats of the same stuff. Lately when I call home on Sunday afternoons to talk to my family they have been putting me on speakerphone so I can feel like more of the party. But I just found out that when I do call home and my mom sees my name on Caller-ID she tells everyone to stop laughing so I won't feel so bad that I'm all alone in Utah eating a quesadilla for Sunday dinner. Now I know their secret though...they are having fun without me so it won't help anyway that they don't laugh. Enough of my sob story though. Here are a few highlights of my weekend with my crazy family. Rexburg Temple open house...the temple is gorgeous. Although I'm not a big fan of Rexburg, as I am not perfect enough to feel at home there, I do love the Rexburg Temple. I got to go to the open house with my Aunt Ellen, a couple of her friends, and my mom. And the tour was nice despite the fact that we somehow got in on the "Families with a million kids tour group," which lucky for us included the "Family that sounds like they all have Tuberculosis." Lucky for my rad immune system I didn't pick up whatever they had.
My Grandma asking me "How was your date (blind of course) last night...not disgusting I hope?" "No grandma, my date was just fine...not disgusting at all." I guess my Gma has picked up the word "disgusting" from my 4 year-old cousin Dawson who is living with her right now while his family is having a house built. She used it several times during the weekend. It is pretty funny to hear a cute little grandma call things disgusting...especially when she puts a lot of emphasis on the gus part as in disGUSting.
"You just need to find someone you want to catch as much as you want to catch animals..." my mom talking to my 30 year old singleton brother about dating. He hunts and fishes so maybe she thought he could relate to that symbolism. Instead we just all burst out laughing (including her) the second she said it. She knew she deserved to be laughed at.
My sister-in-law Kim pausing while eating ice cream using a gravy ladle for a spoon (because that is what Lee gave her to eat her ice cream with) to say, "I love this family." I'm glad you can still find humor in how weird we are Kim. I don't know what it is with Lee eating out of and with all the wrong stuff...I have seen him eat cold cereal out of a pot, cake in a glass, and salad with that HUGE fork that comes with your silverware set. He is weird but funny so we keep him around.
So there's my weekend summary. Weird but fun.
12 comments:
Hey, glad you were able to come and see the temple. My only question is... how DO you eat ice cream out of a laddle? I wish you had a picture!! Idaho loves you... MOVE BACK!!
Hello Becca,
My name is Jane Reynolds and my daughter-in-law Leah told me how much you love to travel...Me too. I now have my own online travel site similar to expedia or travelocity (who is one of our booking engines.) It is great to get the perks of being a travel agent and to earn 60% of the commission of anything booked on my site....and I don't have to babysit my site; it runs 24/7. Leah thought you might like the perks of being a travel agent since you love to travel. I would love to hear of some of the places you have been and even where you might like to go next....email me (I'm not to up to date as I don't have a blog)at
randjreynolds@hotmail.com and if you would like, check out my site at RandRTravelBiz.com. Loved your blog. Later, Jane Reynolds
Your family is nice to stop laughing so you don't feel left out. My grandparents live in West Jordan and we send them pictures of all the fun we have in NC so they do feel left out and will want to move here.
Kim + Lee = funny
Becky...You eat ice cream out of a ladle VERY CAREFULLY. And, you'll probably get a little on your chin so be prepared for that. I wish I had pictures too. And...I am definately moving back to Idaho...I just don't know when.
Becca, as your mom I feel I must ask this. What are you quoting from when you say, "home again, home again, clickety click?" I think I've heard you use this term before and I've wondered, but never asked and now I feel I should have. I'm hoping that the answer is not the nursery rhyme, "To Market, To Market" because if it is, I have failed, yet again, as a mother. I believe that goes, "To market, to market to buy a fat pig. Home again, home again, jiggety jig." Sorry to call you out on it here in blogosphere and embarrass us both, but it had to be done. MOM
P.S. There's a second stanza to that rhyme maybe we can work on the next time you're home.
Another P. S. We feel bad when you have to go back too. We really do. But just so you know, we always save the best stuff for when you come home.
i havent checked the blog world for a while, but i am sure glad i just did. sorry i blew the secret about your mom shooshing us when you call. millie is going to kill me. and i dont blame her. and yes i do love your family.
Hey what happened to your blog "Oranges, Arby's, & leisure suits". I liked it!!
Let's just say I got censored.
wait what? there was a blog with leisure suits in it?!?!?
I too was wondering about that post.... I wondered if you had a secret admire that read your blog and showed up to your house with a box of "special oranges" a "french dip" from Arby's in a "leisure suit"?!?!
PS I am wearing a leisure suit as I type...and I am pretty sure I wore the same thing yesterday... oops!
Okay, okay. It's my fault Rebecca removed her post. I actually only suggested editing, but probably that was overreaching my bounds too. Sorry I upset the fans. I hereby promise to mind my own business and not "censor" any more posts.
I stopped in for a Becca fix and no such luck.... you must be busy with life or something silly like that! Maybe I should get one of my own so I don't live for "new posts" huh?!?
Post a Comment