Not to complain or anything, but... I am sick of driving in the snow. It seems like it has snowed SO MUCH this year already. YUCK. I don't totally hate snow or anything but someday when I'm in charge I want to have it to snow about 4 days every year. Snow day #1= Thanksgiving Day after everyone is home for the holiday. Snow day #2=Sometime in December when I have my annual Christmas party and I want it to be all festive. Snow Day #3=Christmas Day...big fluffy flakes all day long. Snow day #4=sometime in January or February when I don't have to go anywhere and can just stay home all day in my leisure suit and watch movies and paint my toenails and stuff.Okay, I realize that we need moisture so we can grow crops and not have fires and all that, but I would just rather that the moisture come in the form of rain. I don't really see any other purpose for snow other than for the four days listed above. Now, if I hadn't had such a traumatic experience with the chair lift at Kelly's Canyon my first time skiing as a twelve year old I might feel differently about the whole snow thing. One horrible skiing experience (16 years ago) and I never went back, although someday, as soon as I get up the courage, I'll give it a shot again. Or, if I was still a kid in school who lived for and even sometimes prayed for horrible snowstorms so we could get out of school I might also like snow. But I'm not anymore.
I only know one person who likes to drive in the snow, and that person is my dad. When it is storming he will go out and drive around in the snow for no other reason than to drive in the snow and look at how bad the snow is drifting and then come home, rub his hands together in excitement, and tell us all how bad it looks out there and how we might get snowed in for days. He truly, absolutely, loves to drive in the snow. Weird, I know. I find it funny that my dad loves to drive in snowstorms (a situation that would cause stress for most people) because my dad absolutely cannot and hates to drive in traffic (aka: The big city of Salt Lake). He can't handle it. Usually when my parents come down to Utah for a visit, my mom drives, at least from Brigham City on. And if my dad does happen to drive the whole way he thinks he has just accomplished the greatest feat of the century. A few months ago when my parents came down to visit my dad came into my house, and while doing the hands together victory shake to each side of his head, said over and over "Soy un pionero, soy un pionero!" He was learning Spanish at the time, but that means, "I am a pioneer, I am a pioneer!" So that is how much my dad can't handle driving in Utah...when he made it to my house alive he felt as if he was a pioneer that had just finished crossing the plains. And sadly, I'm not even kidding at all.
10 comments:
Becca, I think the place you are talking about is called "England" however, the rain won't stop it just keeps coming and coming. All summer, all winter but yes it is easier to drive in rain than in snow!
And I know what you mean about the lift at Kelly's. It is an old dumpy lift, nothing like the real one you would find at Targhee, which btw, has a GREAT beginner hill as I am a snow chicken and have tested it out many many times. ;)
Also, that's funny about your dad. You know he offered to drive all the way to SLC to pick up my dad? I admit there was snow on the roads but hearing how he loathes the metropolis traffic I am thinking that they may secretly be wearing one half of a heart that says "best friends" under their shirts. ;)
It snowed in Raleigh on Saturday. No one here likes to drive in snow either. I went to the movie and there was no one out and the theater was almost empty. But you have to realize when I say it "snowed" out here I mean it was a mix of rain/snow but mostly just rain. The roads were wet though. I would love for it to "snow" every day here. Otherwise, I totally concur!
I have to disagree I LOVE the snow... Toby and I do the same thing your dad does... My reason is the same as your dads... but Toby just hopes he'll find someone- ANYONE off the road so he can bust out his big ol' tow rope and show how tough his truck is!! He says he likes to help, but I think he really just likes to show off!!
P.S. My blog misses you!!
this made me laugh...i always loved hearing you tell stories about your dad.
oh, and move to houston...we NEVER have snow.
Nettie...Thanks for the idea, but there is only one form of weather that I hate more than snow, and that is....HUMIDITY! Sorry, Houston is out.
Becca, you sound like Heidi Klum... "Houston you're Out." ;)
(Only makes sense if you've seen Project Runway I guess!)
I LOVE DRIVING IN THE SNOW!! I like the slipping, and the sliding, and the turning, and the spinning after turning... So now you know 2. Or 4.
Alan isn't as bad as Kaye--she won't leave between certain times of the day--in order to "avoid rush hour traffic" and sometimes won't come at all if she is solo--because if you are solo you can't use the carpool lane!
Post a Comment