Monday, November 12, 2007

Tell me, is it one in four marriages that ends in divorce now or one in three?

So, a couple of days ago I went to get a chemical peel. Basically, a chemical peel consists of paying someone 100 bucks to pour acid on your face so that later your face will peel and look better. They are made for people like me with disgusting skin. My normal esthetician, Marthea, was out of town so some other girl, who will remain nameless to protect her lack of tact, did my chemical peel. Before I could even get onto the facial table she said to me,
"So are you married?"
I said, "no."
She replied, "well do you have a boyfriend...are you dating anyone?"
And I replied, "not right now."
Now, I'm not sure exactly why I said "not right now..." as if I had been dating someone a few minutes prior and had just gotten dumped or something. But if you ask me a dumb question you should expect a dumb answer...I mean, what was I supposed to say? And she didn't shut up after that! She went on to ask
"Well, do you have any nieces or nephews?"
"No," I said, "my only sibling that is married just got married a month ago"...and I thought to myself "and I haven't gotten around to asking them yet when they are going to start making babies!"
Ok, and get this, the next thing she said to me was,
"Did they get married in the temple?"
And I thought to myself "Oh my heck am I wearing my 'I AM A MORMON' shirt again!?" So within two minutes of meeting me this girl, who was married with three kids, broke the CARDINAL RULE of talking to single people. Never, under any circumstance ask a single person (even if you know them) any of the following questions or any variation of the following questions UNLESS you are asking them because you have some RAD person that you want to set them up with and you want to make sure that they are available. And, as a side note, never ASSUME that someone is LDS. It just makes you look like a stupid Utard.
Here are some no no questions:
"So, how's your love life?"
"Are you dating anybody?"
"Anything exciting/new going on in your life (wink, wink)?"
Now, this girl was probably just trying to be nice and make conversation(although I wish that she could have just shut-up and let me listen to the peaceful waterfall music), but HOW SAD is it that she was so un-rounded that the only thing that she could make reference to in life had to do with dating, marriage and kids! LAME! Needless to say, I did not give her a tip $$$$$$$. But let me give all of the tactless married people out there a tip...and I don't think that all married people are tactless, but those of you who are... you know who you are, listen up. You should never talk to a single person about their dating life, or the lack thereof, unless they bring it up. Just as I shouldn't ask you,
"So, how much money do you make?"
"When are you guys going to have another baby...it is about time, isn't it?"
"How's your LOVE life (wink, wink)?"
"When are you planning on starting a family?"
"Do you think you'll go on a diet soon?"
"How much equity do you have in your home?"
"Are you planning on doing anything about your receding hairline?"
Etc!
Or, I might say, as Bridget Jones replied when asked, "So Bridge, how's your love life?"..."Tell me, is it one in four marriages that ends in divorce now, or one in three?"

9 comments:

Kim-may said...

ONe in Three, actually.
i watched that film the other night. Ironical ( and yes i know thats a fake word). wow. what a dufus. im sorry becca. but i sure do like your questions, maybe you should ask them back next time. Like is that your real nose? WOW.
anyhow, and the answer to the unasked question is...lee and i are not having children tomorrow. ;)

Kim said...

Bec, I love you! You are like a the mouthpiece of my soul. My dentist recently told me to "keep working on it" when I told him I was single.

Audrey said...

You should have said something like oh that sucks that someone else is raising your kids while you are hearing ripping my face off! (jk) I didn't mean that whole heartily for all the moms out there that are working women I SWEAR! I just think maybe people like that need to feel a little of what they give out.....
So anyways Becca, "anything hotties in your ward or at work you have your eye on?" wink wink
JK JK JK JK
One just kidding didn't seem to cut it cuz I really am kidding!

Audrey said...

i just have to say again...... please no one take offense to the raising children... I am a working momma too!
I have been just loving your blogs lately! I am glad that you are posting more often.... it gives my life some excitement!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, allow me to take away your woes, and you will be able to endure your un-endurable chemical peels in peace. Ah, the life senorita, together we will pick out white v-neck tshirts. I get citizenship, you get love, we both win senorita!

Becca's Blog said...

SG...
You creep me out. ESPECIALLY now that I know that you are MARRIED!!! I do have to give you credit for being the first married guy to ask me out. It makes for a great story, but sorry, you can't have it all SG...a wife in Mexico and a girlfriend here. Not going to happen (especially as long as you think that UNDERshirts and T-shirts are the same thing)! Lo siento pero vos sos un baboso!

Something McSomethingkins said...

That is an awesome post Becca. And I'm an idiot, because blogspot and blogger are totally the same thing. So what it comes down to is that I can totally help you with the ipod thing.

Scout said...

I don't know what to say friend...chip, shoulder area maybe. Don't you know that everyone who's anyone is happily married with kids or kids on the way? Single people should be shot, just to put them out of their self-pitying misery.

Tricia said...

TACKY!! I hope you gave her a crappy tip.