So my last blog post got me thinking about other things either I have done or I have seen or heard of being done while in church other than what we should be doing in church. We are all guilty of it sometimes...being in church but not of church. I guess it is better than just not being there at all, right? Here are a few that I'm guilty of (as an adult)...
*writing my last will and testament in preparation for skydiving
*writing plans for my funeral for the same reason
*taking a picture of my cousin's ex-boyfriend (who was visiting my ward) with my cell phone and sending it as a picture message to my cousin with the message "Guess who showed up at my ward today?"...by the way, I turned off the sound on my camera phone so no one even knew that I was taking pictures during Sunday School
*playing this little game with my brothers where we draw pictures of people in the ward and try to guess who they are (we usually exaggerated their most prominent feature to make the game a little easier)
*writing notes, of course...I really like to write notes
Here are some things that I have seen or heard of done (by adults)that I don't plan to ever participate in...
*picking the gray hairs out of your friend's head
*a boy rubbing another boy's back
*a girl rubbing another girl's back
*opening up a bag of Doritos and a soda during Sacrament meeting to snack on
*a girl playing with another girl's hair
*yelling out "FINALLY" when the Priest gets the Sacrament prayer right after several attempts
*giving the closing prayer 20 minutes early (on Fast Sunday) because you fell asleep and then woke up during a lull between testimonies and thought it was time to end the meeting
Here are a few other fun ideas for things to do in church, although they may not be appropriate or acceptable, depending on your age...
*playing "Testimony Bingo"...what a fun idea! This consists of making a game card either with phrases that might be said in people's testimonies or a game card with the names of those who you think are most likely to share their testimony. Then whoever gets BINGO first has to get up and bear their testimony and somehow use the word BINGO. My brother and his friends used to do this in college...I wish I could have come up with such great ideas when I was young enough to get away with them.
*make out your next tithing check to "God"...just to see if your Bishop is paying attention
If anyone has any suggestions/confessions of things to do in church other than listen and participate, please, leave me a comment and share your ideas.
8 comments:
How about trying to keep your two-year old from coloring on your Sunday clothes or those of your neighbors and trying not to laugh when he applauds people for finishing their talks? That's what I do instead of paying attention.
And, of course we've all sympathized with the priest having to repeat the sacrament prayer over and over but how about the group of them in one ward I was in that were so busy talking to each other during the sacrament hymn that they completely forgot to break the bread. The hymn ended and there they sat...mmm, awkward.
Don't worry Jerry, you are fine with paying attention to Travis in church because that is "Family Oriented." Saved by the kid.
I remember my dad bring a box of Better Chedders to church one time in his briefcase! (he was executive sec. at the time i guess) Or maybe it was Wheat Thins.... either way....good idea!
Hey, my mom said that her cousin Ruth used to be the librarian in her ward and she got so bored that sometimes she would bring her mug full of pepsi and keep it under the counter!! You wouldn't believe how many times I have daydreamed doing that while sitting in Primary.
My sister and I used to play paper lazer tag a lot in church. And we'd draw killer fruit. And killer pumpkins. And then we'd come up with really long menacing names for them.
We were pretty proud of ourselves.
You have to have blog owner approval to post here? Wow, talk about exclusive.
hey you forgot one thing- AShley was the one that told me about Bingo and therefore i told lee----------if you get a bingo, you have to bear your testimony but also include the word "bingo" in your testimony. Dont worry, i think lee did it.or andrew....
I still have the testimony bingo card I made as a freshmen in college many years ago. I keep it under "testimony" in the bible dictionary. I haven't played in a long time, but sometimes I'm tempted to start up again...
Post a Comment