Sunday, November 18, 2007

Great Read

I have a suggestion of a book that I think everyone should read. The book is called My Name is Asher Lev. You will not be able to put this book down, so make sure to read it over the holidays or sometime when you can dedicate your life FULLY to it. Now, I haven't actually read the book but I know that it is a great read. Let me tell you why... so, I'm sitting in Relief Society today and at some point during the lesson I notice that the girl sitting next to me is reading a novel. CURIOSITY PIQUED. So, I pretended to STARE at my scriptures as I read a few paragraphs of her book and also procure the title. I just had to know what book could be so intriguing that you would come to church early, get yourself a seat on the edge of the room, and dig into your book during the ENTIRE lesson, never looking up. I didn't know the girl or I might have been tempted to ask her.

So I thought to myself, "maybe she got to Relief Society and realized that she had already heard the lesson on Joseph Smith last week when she was visiting her grandma's ward"... or "maybe somebody is forcing her to go to church (by using an ankle bracelet?) and she's like 'I'll show you!'"...or "maybe she has a book report on it due tomorrow morning and thought that being at church and not listening was better than not being there at all." or..."maybe it is just a really good book and she has NO self control." I'm still not sure why she was reading it, but it REALLY must have been one you just can't put down because she sat across the aisle from me in Sacrament Meeting and she was still intently reading the book. I guess I shouldn't judge this girl. I guess we all have times when we don't listen in church, but COME ON be a little discreet about it.

Here are a couple of suggestions that I would give to her if I knew her...first, make a fake book cover for the novels that you want to take to church. Go to DI, buy The Miracle of Forgiveness or something for a dollar, take off the cover and attach it to the book you are reading. Easy. My brothers used to put comic books,crossword puzzle books and 4-wheeler magazines inside an Ensign or New Era cover when we would have Stake Conference and it always seemed to work for them. Secondly, when you are reading your book in church, try to look up occasionally and act like you are listening. And, last of all, if you want to be an over-achiever, you could even make a comment (just make sure that it applies to the lesson topic and that no one else has already made the comment...so I would suggest doing it near the first of the lesson). And...if you REALLY want to cover your tracks either 1) mention the lesson and how great it was to a friend in the ward or to someone that was sitting next to you or 2) tell the teacher how much you appreciated and enjoyed the lesson.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The covers did work well for us at conference, but we never did figure out how to hide us playing with silly putty. Remember how Tyler played with that stuff until he was 17 years old in conference? P.s. It is "Aisle" not "Isle". Just thought you'd like to know.

Becca's Blog said...

Yeah, Tyler did love silly putty and maybe for too long. Although I think that I still like it too, I just haven't had any in forever. Maybe I'll take some to church next week and see if that girl wants to play with some with me. Maybe we could use it to copy passages out of her book.
P.S. Thanks bro for the spelling correction. I guess the spell check didn't catch it and I'm glad you caught it so fast so that none of my "friends" would even have time to make fun of me.

Jerry said...

Ahh, the comic book wrapped in an Ensign. Don't think I didn't try that a time or two. Unfortunately, I got busted every time - I guess the sight of me intently poring over an Ensign was a little too much to believe. Kudos to your bros for pulling it off. I'll have to dust that manuever off for my next stake conference and see if my luck changes. But Travis will probably just rip them both in half and then I'll be bent.

Tricia said...

Putting a book in a scripture case works well too--just ask Paul

Scout said...

Did you ever understand the magical possibilities of silly putty, yet chose to pretend it was weird-tasting
gum? Me either.

Scout said...

With a clear understanding of silly putty's vast possibilities, did you ever choose to pretend it was weird-tasting gum? Me either.

Scout said...

Oh!! so does what I write in this little space go to some secret box on your side then you get to read it and then choose to ignore it or publish it? I will Not be ignored!! I will Not Ms. Batt and if you think this is some silly game you are wrong my friend, DEAD WRONG.

Scout said...

I seriously might not ever comment again with this kind of treatment.

Audrey said...

you should have a becca's book club! hey, i am not a reader and you have almost talked me into this one! i was wondering.... do you think it would be a good book for a 53 year old man? i am looking for a christmas gift for my pops and my mom said he reads. since i don't i need some suggestions.
oh... and i am sorta scared of scout all the sudden. (jk) i will be mad if you don't post my comment either!! grrrr

Becca's Blog said...

Yeah, I'm scared of Scout too. She has been a total douche lately. And Audrey...just one question...did you actually read this post? Just wondering.

Audrey said...

woa woa woa.... i SURE did read your blog. i know that you are recommending a book you haven't read but must be AMAZING cuz some lonely girl in your ward was lost in the pages for the 3 hours of church! just was hoping that you could recommend me a goody to buy my dad is all.... let me know if you know of the perfect book for Jay bird!