Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Movie Madness


So, I have something to admit to the world. I go to movies in the movie theater all by myself. I go on weekdays, weekends, holidays, during the day, and at night. I don't care AT ALL that it is socially unacceptable to do so. The first time I did it was a few years ago as a bet with my brother Lee. We were talking about things that people just don't do alone...two of which were going to movies by themselves and eating at nice sit-down restaurants by themselves. So we made a bet to see who could do one of those two things first. I won by going to a movie by myself. Not only was I by myself but I was the only person in the theater...weird because it wasn't even a crappy movie. I called Lee from the movie theater...he made me scream to prove that no one else was in the theater. Lee had to one up me though by going out to eat by himself on Valentine's Day in Provo, Utah (coupleland USA). And yes...he was wearing a tie and had flowers with him. He pretended that he got stood up. He called me from the restaurant to let me know that he had beat me out as the most pathetic single person in the world. Hilarious. Yeah, we have weird ways of entertaining ourselves. So anyway, last night I went to see Lars and the Real Girl by myself. As a side note let me just highly recommend going to movies by yourself. It is liberating. It is like saying "Hi world, I am a singleton and even if I don't have anyone to do stuff with I'm not going to stop doing what I want to do... I am independent and okay with being alone!" It is nice too because you don't have to worry about someone else liking or disliking the movie you see...you can just form your own opinion. And when you go by yourself you always get to choose the movie and where you sit in the theater. So, single or not, try it sometime and let me know how it goes. Anyway, I loved the movie Lars and the Real Girl. It was way different than anything I've seen in a long time, and I like different. It was both funny and sad, which is the best combination because guess what folks, that's life...funny and sad. Here's the link for the trailer if you want to check it out... www.youtube.com/watch?v=P27EIxPRmcY. Also I haven't seen this movie yet because it is Rated R and I am waiting for it to come out on DVD so I can get it CleanFlicked...but I have heard nothing but good things about the movie Once. It has Glen Hansard from the Irish band The Frames in it. It is sort of a musical love story. It has received tons of awards and has gotten excellent reviews...Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 98%! The soundtrack for the movie is amazing. You can play one of the songs by clicking play on the Mp3 player I have on the left side of my blog under my favorites. Check out the trailer www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mIpwx5lA5I. Just wanted to share!

9 comments:

Audrey said...

I appreciate you telling your secret... I am trying to think of one to share with you..... ummmm hmmmm well, ok lets see, FINE... I wet the bed until I was 12! oh wait you know that one. Ok I will think up another one....

Audrey said...

Actually i really do think it is (for lack of a better word) RAD that you go to movies flying solo! I have a friend that went to Hairspray alone and she has a hub and 3 kids and she said she prefers it! I REALLY need to give that a go and soon! The last movie in the theater I saw is Wild Hogs....now THAT is sad!

Becca's Blog said...

Audrey, thanks for making me feel better about by reminding me that you wet the bed until you were in Beehives. That is one problem I never had, although I have plenty more to make up for it. By the way, I DARE you to go to a movie alone. No, I DOUBLE DOG DARE you. Let's see what you are made of. NO Cheating!

Corrine said...

Hey, I love going to movies solo too, in fact I am thinking of going to Elizabeth tonight solo...she was the ultimate solo queen!

Did Lee take a photo? That is one of the funniest things I've ever heard of, if there are photos please share!!! :)

Becca's Blog said...

Glad to hear that someone else likes to go to movies solo...and you even have a hot British Boyfriend you could go with! I'll find out about the pics from Lee...I doubt it though since he was alone but I think his friends were at another table laughing at him so maybe they took some.

Audrey said...

GAME ON DUDE!! I will report the experience.....

Kim-may said...

wtf-----this is like the coolest blog yet. i want to see that movie so bad! maybe i shall venture out tomorrow while lee is at work to see it! scary, but i love it. anyhow. this truly deserves the word RAD> i love hearing updates on music and movies~! THANKS! and oh p.s....audrey........i had no idea.........:(

nettie said...

this sounds like a great idea! i don't know why i haven't thought of it myself.

Something McSomethingkins said...

I totally went to see Once in the theater by myself. It is really good. It's rated R for language solely, and even that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's because of the words here that aren't considered swearing there. Anyway, clean flick it and watch it. And if you want me to burn the soundtrack for you, I totally can.