Okay so just today I saw (in SLC) two (yes, two) dogs wearing sweaters. What the? Aren't dogs wild animals? Don't they have fur so they can survive outside? I'm confused.
When I was a missionary in Argentina I remember another missionary commenting on the Argentine dogs by saying, "Argentine dogs...you think they're all strays until winter comes and they're all wearing sweaters." And that is seriously how it was. There would be about 50 inbred "stray" dogs hanging around every neighborhood and then all of a sudden in the winter they'd all be wearing sweaters. It never made sense to me. Maybe there was some charity in Argentina of a bunch of old women who sit around crocheting sweaters for homeless dogs. I don't know...
Anyway, I just thought is was funny that I saw two dogs in sweaters today. Maybe they're always around and I just don't notice. But I usually notice dogs. Because I want them to stay away from me. But sometimes I can be pretty oblivious to dogs I guess. Like today, I was at school and noticed that the girl sitting next to me had a Google phone. I'm thinking about upgrading to either an iPhone or a Google phone so I asked her if I could see it. And as I'm looking at it she says, "Ooh, do you want to see a picture of my dogs?" and before I could even answer she reached over and pushed a button and a picture of her two dogs popped up. So, even though I don't care for dogs AT ALL, I tried to be polite and said:
"Oh, how cute. I love that little scrunched up face on that dog."
And thought: "I really don't care about your dogs I just wanted to see your phone."
And then she told me how one of her dogs only had one eye because he was a rescued dog or something and so I continued looking at the pictures trying to think of things to say or ask. So I asked if both dogs were the same kind of dog.
She laughed. A lot.
And then told me that one was a terrier and the other one was a pug.
How was I supposed to know? They were both small dogs.
But that got me thinking? Why is it that when it comes to dogs, you're an idiot if you don't know the subtle differences in the dog types. But, when it comes to humans you aren't supposed to notice the differences in human types. Once again, I'm just confused.
And another thing I'm confused about is why I saw a 1998 Toyota Corolla in the parking lot of the library with one of these...
on the steering wheel. Seriously dude, nobody wants to steal your 1998 Corolla. Especially when there are plenty of Lexi (plural for Lexus), Beemers (BMW), and Benzes (as in Mercedes) around. It was the east side of SLC for heavens sake. Whatever. And then just today I got a special request from cousin Kate to tell the, as she put it "a$$ wipe story." But it's not really much of a story at all. Basically, on Thanksgiving, as per family tradition, my cousin Kate, Aunt Lucy, Uncle Jay and I went to see the movie The Blindside at the ridiculously overpriced, due to a monopoly, Edwards Theater in Idaho Falls.
The movie was pretty good. I would recommend it. Even though I ended up paying $15.50 to see it...$9.50 for the movie, $1.00 Fandango fee, and $5.00 to wash my car after the movie since while we were in the movie some, as Kate claims I said, "a$$-wipe," threw soda all over my car. Which became frozen soda.
So that's really it. Kate laughed a lot at my reaction. But seriously, it bugged big time. Especially since I don't know where any good car washes in IF are and ended up paying five bucks for the crappiest car wash in the history of car washes. By the way, I washed my car at that car wash with all the paintings of the cartoon bears (I think on Yellowstone). Don't waste your money at that place. Seriously.
Well, that's all for now. I'll try to be nicer in the future and more understanding of dog lovers and soda throwers. Bye.
12 comments:
I feel bad about the soda thrower. I wonder if the blog rater will give you a PG-13 for saying A$$ wipe.
Oh, I hate dogs, too. But, I think MOST people love them!! Astonishing!!
I hope I get PG-13 rating...just good enough to be Mormon but fun enough to be fun. But, I might have thrown off the rating system with my secret code for swear words.
There are lots of confusing/troubling things in this world. Dog clothes are definitely on that list. Not to "one-up" you, but I saw a show on T.V. where people were dancing with their dogs. The dogs AND the dog owners were in costumes. There was a panel of judges. It was a kind of "Dancing With the Stars Goes to the Dogs" thing, I guess. I couldn't believe it.
P. S.
I think I've cracked your secret code and I think I should have washed your mouth out with soap a few more times, or ever.
Thanks Becca for telling the story. I did really laugh hard when you said that, and then felt bad because I thought you thought I thought (he thought that his ex-wives mother-in-law's brother thought. . . )that I was laughing that they did that to your car.
PS I testify as well that the car was was ridiculous!
you will love to hear this-- when we were in SLC last weekend Ashley and Kent went to the movies and the girl behind them brought her little dog with her. I guess another woman sitting nearby flat out asked her if she was handicapped, because otherwise she should get her dog out!
I wonder if her little doggie was wearing a sweater. Seriously, what is wrong with people?...taking your dog to the movies? You shouldn't need to do that unless you are blind, and if you are blind you probably aren't going to spend 10 bucks to see a movie on the big screen. People are weird.
just reminded me of that time you nailed a dog in the face with your missionary bag. don't mess with becca when it comes to dogs! yow-za!
Amen.
From your dog loving aunt who had the death announcements of her dog printed and stamped just waiting for the big moment to drop them in the mail to those who would care the most.
Becca,
Thank you for this post. I had a crappy crappy day (which included my FOUR-year-old saying a word that I wouldn't even write using your secret code. Note to self: stop singing rhyming songs to my sons. They'll take it and run with it.) and am not even doing anything fun tonight to make up for it. My excitement knows no bounds when I'm spending my Saturday night cleaning the house. So thank you for giving me a good laugh.
Now, where was I? Oh yea, cleaning the kitchen...
Ass has been my favorite word for awhile now. Mostly because you can use it with so many other great words. I'll add wipe to my list. Thank you for that.
And sorry, for just upping your blog rating to XXX for actually typing the word. But I probably subconsciously still feel bad that my blog was rated R and everyone else I know was rated G or PG. And I only used the word crap.
Dogs don't deserve sweaters.. No matter what.
Post a Comment