Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Snuggies Scare Me

Every once in awhile a product moves from the hidden world of late night TV infomercials to the mainstream shopping world. 

Case in point:

Moving Men furniture sliding disks...actually work pretty well.  I learned about them back during my days working at Mini Bazaar and they come in quite handy for moving big furniture. 

Kaboom cleaner...I'm pretty sure my mom suckered for this one at least once.  She always has hated hard water stains on toilets. 

Sobakawa pillows...because why sleep on feathers when you can sleep on buckwheat?  (I think every member of my immediate family had a Sobabkawa pillow at one time or another.)

ShamWow...one word...WOW!

ProActiv...never worked for me, but about 100 other acne products didn't either.

Bumpits, which according to their commercials take you from "flat to fabulous!"...also very good to use if you want to hide snacks up in your hair to eat during church or at other times when snacking is inappropriate. 

and...this year's winner of the late night infomercial to real world shopping transformation goes to SNUGGIE!

And that brings me to the topic of today's post which is, "Snuggies Scare Me," which also could have been titled, "Snuggies Creep Me Out."  

Is it because they are EVERYWHERE this year?...from Walmart, to Walgreens, to Babys R US, online, in the malls, in grocery stores...EVERYWHERE!  I wouldn't even be surprised to see them for sale in a gas station. 

Am I afraid of getting stuck in it and suffocating?

Are they scary because they make you look like a wizard, a monk, a Star Wars character, and/or a member of the KKK?  

Is it static caused by the fleece and potential shockage?  Or the thought of my Snuggie being a magnet for unattached hairs?  Or worse, attached hair and really messing up my hairdo? 

Or, is it just the fact that they make a leopard print Snuggie?  I don't even want to know what could happen with a leopard print Snuggie. 



Is it because there are Snuggies for adults, kids, babies, and even dogs? 

The isolation and loneliness Snuggies could cause? 

I can't really figure it out.  Maybe my fear is unfounded.  But seriously, every time I pass a Snuggie display in a store I shudder in creepedoutness and then oddly enough have the overwhelming desire to buy them for all my friends and family. 

I'm really confused why Snuggies have this power over me. 

Does anyone know why I'm completely scared and fascinated with Snuggies at the same time?  Anyone share my feelings?

Oh, and in the meantime while you try to figure out your true feelings for Snuggies, here are a couple of Snuggie Infomercial spoofs to enjoy.  (You probably won't get them though if you haven't seen the real Snuggie commercials...so go watch that first on YouTube and then come back.)







Bonus Section for BYU students and graduates or anyone else who might understand Utah Mormon culture...

Okay, so does anyone remember what those glove/muffler things were called that they sold at BYU that were made for couples so, "the cold weather wouldn't get in the way of hand holding."  I can't remember what they were called and it's driving me crazy! 

It was so couples could actually hold hands...not gloved hands...but real, naked, hands during the winter and not get frostbite.  I actually once saw a couple using one while walking up Rape Hill going to class.  It was weird. 

So to give you a visual, each of them have a normal glove on their outside hand and then in the middle they are sharing something that looks like this...

but not so fuzzy or fake furish.  Weird huh? 

I'll give a dollar or an item from my etsy shop to the first person that can help me remember what these things were called. 

18 comments:

Kim said...

Have you seen the Necky?

www.buynecky.com

It's fantastic!

Whitney Larsen said...

Dear Becca,

Please stop hating snuggies. I can think of at least two times in the past month that the snuggie has saved mine, or a friends life.

I think that you would be singing a different tune if you were trapped on a Mexican bus for 12 hours, freezing cold, until you remembered that you had your snuggie in your bag.

Cassie said...

Good post! And good question. The hand holding muffler thing kind of scares me. I'm glad I never knew about them.
BTW - yesterday I saw a lady at Wally's loading up on Snuggies and I stopped to watch. I don't know why. I wondered if the people that were going to get them would ever use them. I really do want to know. So, if you get one please let me know if you use it.

Becca's Blog said...

Kim, they even have the Necky in leopard print! I can get a matching Necky AND Snuggie. Could life get any better? Seriously.

And Whitney, no offense intended towards your dear Snuggie. I'm sure you aren't the only person who loves Snuggies or they wouldn't be for sale EVERYWHERE!

Cassie, if I'm lucky enough to get a leopard print Snuggie for Christmas this year, I will let you know if I use it. That's a promise.

Anonymous said...

I guess people are wracking their brains for a dollar because you have no etsy shop.

Lucy said...

I was just going to say....Becca, you have an etsy shop?? Woa.
Those snuggie things bug me, too. Shelley Funk is terrified that is what her husband is buying her for Christmas. YIKES

Mardi said...

you have an etsy shop?

Becca's Blog said...

Sorry guys, no etsy shop...and I don't sell Scentsy candles either. It must just be my subconcious desire to fit into being a Mormon women that made me write those things. Sorry to get you excited about nothing. My bad.

Anonymous said...

It is a "hand hugger".
Go here www.handhugger.com
-Lee

P.S. Can I get a crocheted thong from your etsy shop in pink?

Kim-may said...

I thought about getting a Snuggie for Buster, but I would be the only one laughing in mockery.

Becca's Blog said...

Lee is the winner!

Lee, do you want that pink crocheted thong in your size, or in Kim's? Let me know.

Battfam said...

Very funny. I'm laughing out loud at the post and the comments. I probably shouldn't be laughing at the comments, now that I know the difference between thongs and flip-flops. We probably should have slapped you kids up side of the head once in a while and you wouldn't be so...so...rotten, I guess is the word for it.

Also, note to Lucy: With your husband's history of buying things advertised on T. V., maybe YOU should be the one nervous about getting the Snuggie. I'm just sayin....

Also, I like the second video clip a lot. The free paper clip is either hilarious or I am up too late and I love the chair the girl is sitting on. It makes me want to redecorate the whole house when we get home.

kiddle97 said...

This was too hilarious. You had even my husband busting up laughing. Our favorite was the innovative Blanket! And the bonus paper clip ("for holding multiple pages together")! Amazing!

At Brent's work party last weekend there were a dozen Snuggies (it seemed) up for the reverse gift exchange. (I don't if they were in leopard print or not.) I was shocked, 'cause I didn't know real people bought those. I guess now I know.

Christa said...

I'm definitely buying one for my roommate for Christmas. I'm already jealous of the present I am buying for her.

Christa said...

Your family finds the best things. Is that necky thing a scarf or a bib? Or both? I'm not sure. But I like it. :)

Christa said...

And for my third comment. I totally read bumpit as "bum pit" and I was really confused about how you were going to hide things in it. And I just made myself laugh by typing that. Enjoy world. Enjoy.

Becca's Blog said...

Christa you're the best commenter ever!!! Three in one post? If only all my blog readers were as good at commenting as you are. I'd be rich in comments.

Kim-may said...

Christa you're a BUM pit