Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Taking the Plunge...Finally.

Not only was Summer 2009 the Summer of Fun (except for the horrible turning 30 as a barren, spinster part) but it was also the summer of facing my fears. Okay, well really I only faced one major fear...the ocean, and yay, I took the plunge and went SCUBA diving! If you would have told me about five or ten years ago that I would become a SCUBA diver I never would have believed you. But, times change and there are fears to be faced. I went diving at Two Mile Reef in the Bazaruto Archipelago in Mozambique. Getting certified was quite traumatic (as I'm sure you regular blog readers already know) and I was sick for like a month from some weird infection I caught at the Aquatic Center (public pools sick me out) and then was added to by some infection from Blue Lake (also a disgusting body of water), where I did my open water dive for certification. But, I made it through certification and was able to actually SCUBA dive in the ocean, which is way better than certifying. And really, I didn't freak out two bad. Okay, maybe just a little bit the first time, but that is because they had too much weight on my weight belt and my BC (Buoyancy Compensator) was not inflating properly, so as soon as I jumped in I just started SINKING like a piece of lead. You are supposed to float at the top until everyone is off the boat and ready to go down. So, it was sort of scary to be sinking down into the depths of the sea by myself, when I knew I should be floating. But, I got calmed down and was able to go down 60 feet on my first dive and sort of had a good time. My second dive later that day, after they fixed my BC and weight belt, was actually really flawless and fun. We only went about 46 feet deep that time but we saw some super pretty stuff, tons of fish, and a HUGE turtle (my dive master said it was one of the biggest he'd ever seen). I had been sending out negative vibes to all the sharks and whales and other things bigger than me to stay away, but really, on that second dive when I was all calm and experienced I would have been fine seeing a nice big something. Some other people that were diving near us saw a whale shark and I was surprisingly a little jealous. Anyway, something that a few years and even months ago would have scared me to death actually turned out to be really fun. I don't see myself becoming a big time SCUBA junkie or riding on the back of a whale or anything, but I definitely hope to be able to go SCUBA diving again. Here I am looking all awesome in my wet suit and showing off my SCUBA moves. Hello everyone. I look like an alien. The reef was gorgeous, as you can see. So, one major fear faced, I was ready to take on more and I decided to go bungee jumping at Victoria Falls. Actually, I don't really have a fear of heights so I can't really say I faced another fear. I mean, yes, whose knees wouldn't be knocking a bit as they stand ready to jump off a 364 foot high bridge over a raging river certainly full of crocodiles just waiting for a taste of white meat? I guess I should say that I don't have a severe phobia of heights like I do of the ocean. Anyway, I've always wanted to go bungee jumping and decided, if not now, when? It was AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING! (That's for Tyler who called me the other day to tell me that I use the word "amazing" too much on my blog. So, expect to see it even more now.) Anyway, so bungee jumping was amazing. I would highly recommend it, even over skydiving. Skydiving was cool too, but if you are only going to either skydive OR bungee jump in your life I would have to tell you to bungee jump. But hopefully you'll be able to experience both...or actually neither if you are someone I love. I don't like people I love doing crazy things. It worries me. Anyway, bungee jumping just gives you such a great dropping sensation and a serious natural high. I was giddy all day after I took the plunge. Yay for new experiences! Here I am getting all tied up and ready to jump.
Living life just a little on the edge is so much fun!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! AMAZING!
Oh, and if you are really interested and have two minutes to spare, you can watch my bungee jumping video. Lee was making fun of me for showing everybody my video and saying "Hey, want to see the coolest video ever?" but then the next day he was online looking for bungee places in the U.S. because now he wants to go too. So there.
Oh, and you should all watch my video if for no other reason then it took me FOREVER to figure out how to edit the video and get the audio to sync with the video. I had about given up when I thought to myself, 'Becca, you figured out that horrible statistics computer program, surely you can figure out how to edit a video and put it on your blog.' So, I did learn how, and without even one phone call to Tyler. (Oh, and by the way, thanks Ty for helping me get rid of that virus I accidentally installed on my computer last week.)
Here you go adrenaline junkies... So, let's just make 2009 the year of facing all my fears, BECAUSE, now I have yet another fear to face. It was a fear that I didn't even recognize as a fear until just lately. So, in a couple of weeks I'm taking a kind of shotgun trip to Panama over fall break to do some volunteer public health work with some friends from school. One of my friends emailed me about the trip a couple of weeks ago and he was like, "Hey want to go to Panama for a week of volunteer work during fall break?" And I was like, without even thinking, "Of course, that would be great!" So, I committed to it and then it all started to settle in...my fear.
I am AFRAID of not being able to shower daily and blow dry and flat iron my hair. It is one thing to be somewhere humid and have your hair get messed up, and it is another whole thing to not even be able to shower and attempt to do your hair.
I honestly cannot remember the last time that I went a day without showering and washing my hair. Sometimes I'll get up in the morning and won't shower right away if I'm going to work outside or exercise or something, but I ALWAYS shower. Even this past Spring when I swear I had the swine flu, I would crawl out of bed, shower, and then get back into bed.
Necessity. Major necessity. I never go into public without showering. Even if I'm going to do something like go run a 5K or a service project hoeing weeds, I will shower first and then shower again when I get home.
I know all of this might sound weird to those of you out there who don't maybe have a little tiny bit of OCD behavior as most of us do in some way.
Anyway, I'm totally freaking out about this. I mean I don't even go camping where there isn't a flush toilet and a shower and now I'll be spending a week on an island off the coast of Panama where they don't have ANY option for showering, no electricity, and only latrines!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh what am I going to do? I will seriously be bathing in a river for a week. There goes any shred of self esteem I have and there goes all hope for having even one decent picture of myself from this trip.
Oh, and I'm not high maintenance. I'm just clean. What can I say?
And, in my defense I have short, yucky hair. So it's not like I can just put my hair up in a ponytail for a week or anything. So, please, if any of you that are clean campers (with short hair) have any suggestions for how I can get through this trial, please let me know. Thanks!

21 comments:

LD said...

No shower + no mirror = ignorance = happiness

LD said...

Try using baby wipes or washcloths, soap and a pot of hot water to wash face, then armpits, crotch, and then feet. On special days use two pots of hot water--the first for your hair.

LD said...

I think your experiences this year are AmAzInG! A lot jealous I am.

LD said...

If you're allowed, wear a cute cap.

Lucy said...

I can't believe you did that jump. Watching the video even scared me, and I thought it would especially scare your Mom. It just seems scary to see a body bouncing around like that.
Sometimes I see that you put your hands to your face. Does it give you a head ache, or do your arms get tired? I am interested in the whole thing....just still scared of it.

Becca's Blog said...

LBD,
Thank you for all the advice. Especially the order in which to wash my body parts. I'd hate to get that order mixed up. Yuck! I should have asked you sooner. I forgot that you are a camper.

and Aunt Lucy,
I think the reason I had my hands on my face was to brush my hair out of my face and away from my eyes so I could see the pretty view of the falls from down there. Also I think I was keeping my hands close to my neck for a time to prevent the cord from wrapping around my neck and killing me.
And no, it doesn't give you a headache or hurt, although all the blood does rush to your head. When I saw other people jumping I thought that it had to be hurting them the way you get bounced around, but really it isn't bad at all. You just relax and have fun.

jess said...

that looks soooo AMAZING! do you think it's irresponsible of me to go bungee jumping even though I have 2 small children?
and bandanas all the way. seriously. i don't have a fear of not showering, but you know i know a thing or 2 about bad hair. my hair gets so crazy after a day without at least getting it wet - and that is my go to when camping. what am i talking about - i haven't been REAL camping in ages- but it USED to be my go to.
it will be liberating, becca.

Amy said...

In order to avoid being a leech, I wanted to post to let you know I was here living life on the edge vicariously through your blog. You're my hero.

Cassie said...

I read once to sprinkle baby powder on the roots of your hair & it will suck up any excess oils, and it might make it smell nice too.
That or just pack a few dew rags...out of sight out of mind.

The video was fun to watch! Looks like a great summer.

Battfam said...

I'd like to give you some sage advice like I usually do, but I gotta tell you the truth, I think it is going to drive you nuts.

Battfam said...

I forgot two things: One, that coral looks like a beautiful flower garden. I guess Nemo was true. Two, at least you will have a river to bathe in. Really, I think you'll be fine.

Tallie, Aaron, Sterling, Avalon, Truman and Quin said...

I bet they make butane flat irons. They make butane curling irons. Also, I think I have a friend that doesn't shower everyday and she uses baby powder in her hair.

LD said...

Each sage tidbit from me was a separate comment this morning to raise my comment quantity and relieve my leech status. Did it work? Am I less of a leech now?

LD said...

I have been thinking about you and malaria today. I think that you will need a mosquito-repellant sleeping net. Do you know where to acquire one? I don't. Mosquito repellant with DEET is easy to find here. Can you get it in Panama? If not, can you get it through customs? I think more than you'll need a shower, you'll need protection from insects carrying disease. Being stinky won't give you malaria but mosquito bites might. (Or has Panama wiped out problem mosquitos carrying malaria, even in its islands?)

Becca's Blog said...

Wow LBD, 6 comments on one post! You definitly are not a leech now. You never really have been though because you comment quite often.

And Amy, you aren't a leech either. I think you've commmented on my last three posts. But I still loved getting the comment anyway.

Wow, I've finally got everyone all self conscious about this leech thing. My work is done.

Becca's Blog said...

Oh, and thanks for the advice everybody.

I will take some baby powder with me.

I will be on malaria prevention meds and will use DEET.

And, I actually bought a flat iron that is cordless and has two batteries and a car charger! I love it. But I still have the no hairdryer problem. But, a flat iron is better than nothing.

And I will for sure have a nice stash of do-rags on hand. I love do-rags.

I wish I had a hat I liked. Or, in other words I wish I liked how I looked in hats. Hats sometimes look better than do-rags.

Tricia said...

you would look great in a hat--do it!

kate said...

Believe me, I totally understand the no shower fear. I think I might die.

Tallie, Aaron, Sterling, Avalon, Truman and Quin said...

I'm with you on the bungee versus skydiving. You'd think skydiving would be the bigger thrill, but bungee jumping seemed to have a much greater eminent threat of death, adding to the scariness/excitement factor. When we jumped out of the plane, the ground seemed so far away that it wasn't that scary. I recommend Queenstown, New Zealand if you want to do either again. Those guys are crazy! It's the adrenaline capital of the world.

--Aaron

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was amaaaaaaazing! You bungee jumping totally blew my mind!

Becca's Blog said...

Dear Anonymous...I know who you are and you are a smartA. Oh, and I know where you live, so watch your back!