Saturday, September 12, 2009

Alice in Wonderland, Hairy Tattoos, and the blog post that brought them together...

You know those times when you get on the Internet to do something important and necessary...like sending off an email, checking your bank statement, paying a bill, buying a textbook, etc. and then all of a sudden the next thing you know you catch yourself mindlessly reading completely stupid, meaningless stuff and you can't even remember how you ended up on the webpage that you are on? I'm sure that you have ALL done that before. In fact, maybe you are doing it now. Maybe I'm like a friend of a friend of your cousin's roommate's cousin or something and you have NO IDEA how one minute you were paying your Macy's bill and the next minute you are reading some complete stranger's blog, some random discussion board, are looking at things you'll never buy on Ebay or Amazon, or are maybe doing a little self diagnosis on WebMD. Don't even act like you haven't done that before. I know we all do it, so I'm not even going to apologize. So somehow tonight, don't ask me how, I ended up on some OCD discussion board/support group site. And I don't even have OCD! Well, maybe, but if I do it has to be a pretty mild case. I mean everybody is a little OCD, right? Just because I like my hangers to all match, like a super clean house, don't really like sharing drinks, go through WetWipes and hand sanitizer like crazy, straighten pictures and piles of stuff (even at other people's houses), will recopy notes I've taken in class if I don't think I had very good handwriting that day, and write lists everywhere and for everything doesn't mean I'm OCD. I think I'm normal. Anyway, that's not even important to the story. So I just glanced at this OCD discussion board and saw a quote from the book Alice in Wonderland... And by the way, I did not like this movie when I was a kid. I don't know why, because I can't even really remember the story line. All I remember is A) thinking it was boring and falling asleep while watching it, B) thinking the characters are weird and freaky and maybe a bit scary, and C) being frustrated the whole time I was watching it because I think in the movie Alice thinks she's lost and that is the whole point of the movie, but you know she's not really lost but instead she's just asleep and you want to just yell out, "Wake up dummy! You're not lost! There aren't talking cats, or creepy little guys with tall hats, or uber fat twins in tight clothing. You're having a dream!" So frustrating. Anyway, here's the quote from the book... One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know", Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter." Wow, I'm not sure what that has to do with OCD, but the quote pretty much sums up my life so far. No wonder I can't figure out what to do with my life! If I don't know where I want to go in life, then I guess I won't know which road to take. And maybe it just doesn't matter anyway. Actually, I do pretty much know what I want out of life and where I want to go but all the roads that seem to lead to where I want to go are closed as far as I can tell. At least closed to me. And the only roads that do seem to be open for me to take aren't headed to places I want to go. So, I guess I'll just sit at that fork in the road until something opens up or just wander down little paths that don't lead anywhere until I wake up somewhere and realize that it didn't matter anyway and that there was no reason to be so frustrated. And speaking of Alice in Wonderland...I saw a girl at the gym that had Alice in Wonderland characters tattooed all over her legs. Big characters. And she had big legs too. It was weird. Maybe it had something to do with the magic shrooms in Alice in Wonderland or something. And then speaking of tattoos, the other day I was standing in line in Walmart and this guy in front of me wearing a wife beater t-shirt had a huge dog (Siberian Husky), or wolf tattooed on his shoulder/back area. And then, to top it off, he had a pretty hairy back so it made it look like his tattooed dog had real hair. It was so cool/sick/disgusting/interesting/Walmartish! But then, I was trying to find a picture online of someone else with a hairy dog tattoo so you all could see what I was talking about when I came across this picture... which to me is even cooler than a hairy dog! Too bad trolls are so out of style though, and this guy has a perma-troll on his arm. What a great conversation piece though, don't you think? Well, at least it looks like I've got a little more direction in my life and a lot less hair than this guy. I guess that is a start.

12 comments:

hmmm said...

i've never totally understood that quote until i read it today. i thought the cat was being sarcastic/mouthy. now i know he had some sound advice to give.
p.s. ty likes trolls. i remember playing with his giant collection with him. i was looking for barbies, he had trolls = good enough.

nettie said...

that troll is disgusting...

Cassie said...

Funny, when I think of or see a troll, I am also reminded of Tyler.

Becca's Blog said...

I know, troll=Tyler for me too. Too bad Ty is a Mormon and doesn't have enough hair or he could get a troll tattoo too.

Battfam said...

You are probably not going to believe this, but you should because it is true. Sometime just this week I must have surfed or lurked onto that same page about OCD's you are talking about. I even read the Alice in Wonderland quote. I didn't stay on the page long. I don't like to know about the OCD's other people have. I hardly have time for my own. I don't need suggestions for what else should bug me. About the tattoo - it made me wonder what was on his other arm? What could possibly be as cool as that troll? Long live King Bubba!

Mardi said...

I guess Tyler now knows what he will go down in history for - I am pretty sure he had every troll ever made. And the "Ty" brand beanie babies - quite the collector.

kiddle97 said...

I'm so glad you have less hair than that guy...

Tallie, Aaron, Sterling, Avalon, Truman and Quin said...

I don't know if I have said this before, but Becca, I think you should be a writer. I think you should write one of those books like "everything I need to know I learned in kindergarten". You could call it something like "everything I need to know I learned in Grant." Good luck. Sometimes the roads that seem to take you farthest from where you want to be, take you right to where you want to be. Yes, I know that is convuluted, but when I moved to Arizona I thought I was moving away from any chance of getting married and having a family and the third week I was down here I met Aaron. I've learned that God sees the future better than me. Love ya!

Tricia said...

My 4 year old watched Alice for the first time--woke up that night with nightmares. The troll is siiiiiickk

Jenkins Family said...

Ever time I see a Troll I think of Ty too. Tell him not to get one of those tattoo. Yikes!

Bobbi said...

That guys' arm hair is nasty! I am not a fan of Alice either. But I do like the quote.

Christa said...

Did you know they are remaking Alice in Wonderland? Tim Burton is doing it. And we're not talking cartoon. We're talking live actors people!