I still don't get why "Virginia is for lovers," though. Maybe I should go there someday and find out. Oh wait, I have been there, and I don't remember anything about any lovers. Maybe I was too young. Well, anyway, I don't think any of us had gotten enough sleep that day. We were all a little off. But it was fun anyway.
And sorry to Tyler that I didn't mention you by name in the last post, but you were in three of the pictures, even if you were just Sasquatch in the background of one of them.
And...how is it that my blog got EIGHTY views today and I only got like ONE new comment? Come on, there can't be that many random Chinese people accidentally clicking on my blog. Who are all of you leeches??? I mean, with 80 views in one day I would expect that at least one-eighth of the readers would like my post enough to comment. Looks like I'm going to have to publicly bust and humiliate some leeches.
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Sometimes I'm Not the Dumb One...an addendum to Tour Guide and Birthright Son
Russell was kind enough to remind me of a few air headed moments that Lee had on our family trip. Thank you Russell. I guess I'm not the only one who has dumb moments.
First of all, we were driving through some little town (I'm sure anonymous could tell us what it was) and we passed a place called Sawtooth Luces Restaurant: Pizza and Suds. And Lee said, "That's kind of a cool idea for a restaurant...you know, do your laundry while you eat pizza." To which I'm sure one of us was nice enough to say, "Suds=Beer dummy, not laundry."
And then we were driving along playing little games we made up. We play fun games when we are in the car for long drives. Some of our favorites are the plus or minus game, celebrity death match using relatives instead of celebrities, games to test our knowledge of random facts, and little philosophical or ethical mind games which usually leads to interesting topics of conversation.
I remember one time Lee and I were driving from Provo to home and Lee had recently heard the quote that "Stupid people spend most of their time talking about other people, people of normal intelligence spend most of their time talking about events, and intelligent people spend their time talking about ideas." So Lee and I decided that for the next 4 hours of the drive we would talk only about ideas. It was actually pretty hard, but was interesting to see the range of topics we covered.
But anyway, on this most recent family trip somebody came up with the idea of playing a game where you go around in a circle and each name a country that starts with the letter "A", and then "B" and so on. Whoever is the last one that can't name a country is out and then once you have a winner you start over again. It is actually pretty fun. Especially with Lee in the backseat trying to make up country names and seeing if Ty, Russell and I would notice. We did.
That game soon led us to the game where one of us would name a nickname of a state, like the Show Me State, for example, and then the first person to correctly yell out the name of the state would win. We went through all the state nicknames that we could come up with, and thanks to Russell (he's full of random information), we were able to come up with quite a few but soon enough we were running out and it started to get quiet.
Then Lee pipes up from the back,
"What's that state, the one with the t-shirts?...Oh yeah it is Vermont."
The rest of us: "What are you talking about Lee?"
Lee: "You know, those t-shirts that say Lovers are from Vermont."
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Don't you mean, Virginia is for Lovers?
I still don't get why "Virginia is for lovers," though. Maybe I should go there someday and find out. Oh wait, I have been there, and I don't remember anything about any lovers. Maybe I was too young. Well, anyway, I don't think any of us had gotten enough sleep that day. We were all a little off. But it was fun anyway.
And sorry to Tyler that I didn't mention you by name in the last post, but you were in three of the pictures, even if you were just Sasquatch in the background of one of them.
And...how is it that my blog got EIGHTY views today and I only got like ONE new comment? Come on, there can't be that many random Chinese people accidentally clicking on my blog. Who are all of you leeches??? I mean, with 80 views in one day I would expect that at least one-eighth of the readers would like my post enough to comment. Looks like I'm going to have to publicly bust and humiliate some leeches.
I still don't get why "Virginia is for lovers," though. Maybe I should go there someday and find out. Oh wait, I have been there, and I don't remember anything about any lovers. Maybe I was too young. Well, anyway, I don't think any of us had gotten enough sleep that day. We were all a little off. But it was fun anyway.
And sorry to Tyler that I didn't mention you by name in the last post, but you were in three of the pictures, even if you were just Sasquatch in the background of one of them.
And...how is it that my blog got EIGHTY views today and I only got like ONE new comment? Come on, there can't be that many random Chinese people accidentally clicking on my blog. Who are all of you leeches??? I mean, with 80 views in one day I would expect that at least one-eighth of the readers would like my post enough to comment. Looks like I'm going to have to publicly bust and humiliate some leeches.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
you always make me laugh...once i was watching the travel channel or history channel or something, and they were doing a little piece on each of the states, and they said that the original quote was "virginia is for history lovers" and over time history was omitted. not sure if it's true, but it makes more sense.
That actually makes sense. I mean, who thinks of Virginia when they think of love? Not me. I think of humidity and sweating. I did visit Virginia in August though. Thanks for the info Nettie.
I was here.
Do you feel better now?
How 'bout now?
I wonder if the blog counters really work. The bazaar's was around 1200, then all of a sudden it said over 12000. I thought that was a lot of lookers.
Glad you mentioned Ty again. Just don't want him to feel left out.
It sounds like you reached new heights (or lows) on the travel games. Nobody thought to bring the "O Brother, Where Art Thou" CD, I take it. Remember when the boys came home from their Idaho trip last time with the words to "Big Rock Candy Mountain" memorized. Actually, I think you were on your mission then, so you missed out (or lucked out) on that. FYPOM (for your peace of mind) I will tell you that sometimes I check your blog a few more times after I've read it and usually made a comment just to see what your brothers have had to say. Since they don't write to me much, it is my way of keeping in touch. That might explain 2 or 3 of the phantom hits, but not all 80 of them. Also I think Anonymous should just sign as AnonyRuss, don't you?
Hi Becca,
I'm a friend of Cassie's and I LOVE reading your blog! I'll try to stop being a leech =0)
Your sibling trips sound like so much fun. The Batts are known for their amazing randomness and you don't disappoint! Here's a debate for next time you get together:
Which would you rather have:
fame
power
money
It can be funny to hear how people reason one thing over the other.
Still loving the profile picture, ha ha!
This trip just keeps getting funnier everyday!
Tell Lee that his pizza shop idea might just work. We have one here in town that is named 'Wash & Tan'. While you wash your clothes you can jump in the tanning bed while you wait. I've never made it in there, but they've been open since we've been here so business must be good.
What is celebrity death match using relatives instead of celebrities? I have never head of it. I need to know good car games for when we drive up to Idaho to visit my roots.
-E.D.
Amy, you are covered on comments for the next 4 posts.
And Ellen Jr., we'll talk car games when I'm at your house on Sunday. Just remind me.
And welcome to the blog Miller Family.
I want to know which of the relatives win on celebrity death match. I'm not sure who I would pick on our side.
And Idaho is now not only for taters but also haters. How dare you mock my brilliance? You of all people should appreciate someone who can make up a saying...."like a dart in the wind"
Lee
Post a Comment