Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hi, my name is Pete...

I'm sure you all have seen these "Family Car Stickers," as I call them, on the back windows of vans and suburbans. Having lived in Utah for SEVERAL years now, I've seen these stickers a lot. Maybe they are popular other places too but I wouldn't be surprised if they were just some big Utah Mormon married people fad.
I've always wondered what the purpose of these stickers is. Because when I see a van plastered with stickers, like in the picture above, the stickers are basically saying to me, "Hi, my name is Pete and my wife's name is Tina. If you are the type interested in kidnapping children, we have two of them. To make things easier when you try to lure our children into your white utility van with tinted windows or old 1980's van with curtains (because we all know that is what pedophiles drive), the names of our children are Jonah and Izzie. Oh, and our kids LOVE pets. In fact, we have two of them, a dog and a cat. Follow us home and you can see where we live." So maybe I just don't get the whole Family Car Sticker thing because I don't have a family. If I had those stickers on my car it would just be a sticker of one single woman. Not even a dog or cat to join me. I might as well just write SPINSTER in big Old English writing filling up the whole back of my window and go join a gang. Maybe some of my married with children readers can help me understand the purpose of Family Car Stickers because I just don't get it. I mean, most of these people probably have private blogs and yet they advertise how many kids they have on the back of their van and often put their names on too! It just doesn't make sense to me. Are people with these stickers just plain dumb? Are they trying to brag about how good they are at reproducing? Is it so they'll remember how many kids they have and what their names are so that on family vacations they won't accidentally leave one of them at a gas station? Please somebody, help me understand the purpose of Family Car Stickers! Thank you. Oh, and no offense intended if any of you have your suburban plastered with these stickers.

16 comments:

Amy said...

Purpose of Family Car Stickers:

The mom driving is probably so sleep deprived that the only way she can figure out which minivan/suburban is hers in the parking lot filled with identical minivans/suburbans is to see her family plastered on the back window.

Besides, if you are unlucky enough to be driving a minivan or a suburban you obviously have enough children to fill it or you are really, really old. So it doesn't really matter that you list your kids on the back for all to see. It's just common knowledge. (Listing them all by name is another matter...)

And last but not least it is like being able to give an excuse to everyone you pass of why you have to be driving the car-you-swore-you-would-never-drive-that-you-now-wonder-how-you-ever-lived-without.

So put up your sticker, label it SPINSTER, BUT AT LEAST I DON'T DRIVE A MINIVAN and pity those poor thirty-something overwhelmed Mormon Moms driving a car full of ungrateful, screaming children.

♥jada said...

Hahahaha! You just blogged a recent conversation I had with my husband when we saw the "Family Car Stickers" on the back window of a 15 passenger van! I'm with you on this one...it is an advertisement. They might as well put all their children in a giant box in the Wal-mart parking lot with a "free to a good home" sign.

Battfam said...

Also, I just started my Christmas lists for the family today. Yours was a little short. Thanks for the ideas.
BECCA Christmas List 2009:
dog
cat
SPINSTER spelled out in large,white, Old English type vinyl lettering.

jess said...

you crack me up.
married with children, yet i still don't understand this one. never will. crazy mormons!

Bobbi said...

I don't have any myself...however, I do know of someone who used to sell them if you are interested. :)

kiddle97 said...

I wish I knew. I feel the same (and derive the same interpretation) as you do from them. They are EVERYWHERE here too, but usually in Spanish names.

Battfam said...

I always thought they were a warning to the driver behind such a mini van. When a mother, crazed by a husband, 4 kids, a cat, and a dog is at the wheel; you never know what might happen. It's just better to keep your distance. As a side comment, I never did get the "Baby on Board" signs either? What was that all about?

Kim-may said...

i think you SHOULD just get one lady- sticker and put it on your back windshield.

Cassie said...

Sadly, you'd find them all over the Midwest too.
I've also seen turtle family stickers and I've also seen those 'Jesus Fish' shapes. (Sorry, I don't know what religion puts those on the back of their cars.) Two big fish stickers & four little fish swimming behind.

Put me on the list of WHY? I've always thought the same thing. Why would I advertise myself?

Battfam said...

Kim, are you trying to get Becca asked out or killed?

Kim-may said...

Hm....neither? Just to make a mockery of those people. I thought she could get a good laugh when she noticed in her rear view mirror the look that people got on their faces as they noticed the sticker.

Kim-may said...

p.s. the calvin peeing stickers are also a classy design that I dont quite get.

Amanda said...

HAHA! I love your blog Becca. I always get the best laughs. I like Kim's idea- I could just picture you doing it to be funny. Anyway, I don't get them either, just a waste of money in my opinion.

Lucy said...

You guys are funny. Someone is probably driving a suburban that she bought with the money she got for hathching up that idea!

nettie said...

lol, becca you crack me up...i don't get them either. i don't get why anyone would plaster anything to their car.

Jen said...

john and i have this conversation all the time about people kidnapping other people's children just because they have the stupid stickers. or if you wanted a dog, you could have theirs that apparently drives in the car with them and needs its own sticker. or..... maybe they're people who are sick of the kids and pets and want them to be snatched.