Every time my brother Lee and I talk about Russia or anything Russian (or foreign for that matter) Lee breaks into his Russian accent, which sounds a lot like Borat...and even though all he ever saw of that movie was the previews, he's pretty good at it. One of his favorite things to say is "Hello American friends!" or any variation of that. Lee says that
my "Russian" accent sounds like a handicapped/drunk French person...but I wonder how right he is as I don't think he knows any handicapped
or drunk French people. Whatever. So,
Hello American Friends!Anyway, on Saturday night I had a little Russian Dinner and a Movie Night. It was so much fun. Lee and Kim were staying with me for the weekend and we needed something to keep ourselves entertained. So we invited over some friends, made a big pot of borscht, and watched the movie
Everything is Illuminated which is based in Ukraine. The movie is a little bizarre, but good. We had a fun night and other than the fact that my entire house still reeks of borscht and wishing that I had thought to make it a "Dress up like a Russian Party," I have no regrets. Anyway, here are a few pictures of Saturday night for your viewing pleasure.
Lee is such a great cook!...and he's even wearing an apron his Ukranian friend Maria gave him...how authentic our parties are!
Lee and Kim doing their best "no double chin" pose

Lee and I doing the same...it didn't really work for me...instead I just look like a weirdo

Speaking of weirdos...JK JK JK...Kim is just so excited for the party to start!

Yummy, but NOT Russian

Borscht is yummy and IS Russian

Matt and Becca posing for a pic while Lee
slaves away in the background

Our Russian spread

Andrew looking very Russian...it's almost scary

Matt and Becca laughing...most likely at the story of Lee and Andrew running down the streets of Rexburg (as Freshmen) wearing nothing but Depends underwear, tall socks and running shoes...makes me laugh every time I hear it

Lee making his "Russian Face"

Andrew, Dave and Christa...probably staring at Lee doing something weird

Don't ask

Chocolate covered strawberries being enjoyed by all

...especially by Andrew
12 comments:
Uuuhhh...I don't think I've ever heard the story of Lee and Andrew running down the streets of Rexburg wearing Depends and I'm not laughing. MOM
I forgot to say how good all the food looked. I'm impressed with Lee's cooking skills and your hostessing skills. FYI did you know there are three ways to spell borscht? also borsht or borsch.
Oh mom, you know it is funny...they were just 18. Sorry Lee...I didn't know that mom didn't know. My bad.
Mmmm....the food looks great. How did you make the dipped strawberries? In other words, hand over the chocolate recipe.... :)
First things first..... your hair looks GREAT!
Wow! Kinda wish I was invited to this fun/tasty Russain party!
Those veggie's looked magnificant! Ok so what is in borsht or borsch or borscht??
And lastly, I have a visual of Lee and BOY am I giggling over that!!
See ya this weekend!
What is borscht? Everything looked yummy... especially the strawberries!!
I wish I could be invited to such fun parties!! And I promise to bring "something" if I do get invited. Maybe I could bring a few things?? It's up to you--
In answer to all your comments...Mardi, email me and I'll give you the chocolate dipped strawberry details...too secret to post here. Becky and Audrey, you can Wikipedia "Borscht" but basically it is a Russian beet soup. It is really good and I don't normally like beets. And to everyone who wished they had been invited, but weren't...sorry suckers. Maybe if you lived in Utah or came to visit we could party...and Bobbi, I know you'll bring something next time. You have learned your lesson.
it was great fun. we must do again. thank you for letting us be very proximal to you that weekend, i hope you have been able to manufacture the Zzzz's with us away.
p.s. on andrews last pic- does he have a sticker on his sweater that says, "i heart boys?"
I believe Andrew's sticker says "I heart cuties"...like off those little mandarin orange things. You would wonder with him though...
Love your blog and I think your Russian night has motivated me... to cook.
Post a Comment