Sometimes I want to be like Oprah (even though she is most likely the Antichrist). Like when I want to be super rich and have a vacation home everywhere I go. Or when I want to have a magazine and a cable network that's all about me. Or when I want to have a personal trainer, fashion consultant, chef, etc. Or when I want to have disgusting amounts of money that I can secretly use to help people.
But mostly, I want to be like Oprah because I want to tell everyone about my favorite things...and then have them buy them (or better yet be able to just give them to everyone) and have everyone else love and enjoy my favorite things too.
However, I am not rich, am not Oprah, and am definitely not the Antichrist (sounds like too much work for me). But, I can still have my favorite things.
And here's one of them...
my new little yogurt maker...isn't it cute? And not only is it a darling little contraption, but it's super easy to use and makes delicious, fresh tasting yogurt.
I'll be honest...I'm kind of a yogurt snob. I really don't like American yogurt. It just tastes like preservatives, food coloring, and corn syrup to me...fake, fake, fake. Yuck. I've tried every brand there is (even the fancy organic type brands) and have never found a yogurt in the U.S. that I liked.
But then I had this genius moment when I remembered that I used to like yogurt as a kid because my mom made homemade yogurt for us. So, I got online, did a little research, and found out that I could make homemade yogurt without any special equipment, but it would be a time consuming and messy process. Or, I could buy a yogurt maker and I'll I'd have to do is dump milk and yogurt starter in little jars and then push a button and voilà, I'd have healthy homemade yogurt. I opted for choice number two, the lazy, but less messy choice.
Anyway, I'm so happy with my homemade yogurt. It's delicious. And nutritious. And I especially love it when I have fresh fruit to mix in. Yum!
But you know what my favorite part about the whole yogurt maker thing is?...
the super adorable little jars that come with it. When I whip up a batch of yogurt in those little jars I just can't help but feel like I'm Diane Keaton in Baby Boom. And I like feeling like Diane Keaton in Baby Boom. In fact, I think getting that Diane Keaton feeling is what makes the homemade yogurt maker one of my favorite things.
So come over for a taste test and I'll let you experience my homemade yogurt's deliciousness for yourself. I promise, once you get used to fresh yogurt you'll never go back to sucking over-colored, over-preserved, over-sweetened yogurt out of a plastic Go-Gurt tube. Your taste buds (and you) will be way to classy for that.


16 comments:
Hey, I think there's a song about this feeling. I think Julie Andrews sang it. The yogurt looks delicious.
Your description of US yogurt is exactly how I feel, so I'm guessing I'll love it freshly made too. Now I'm excited. Thanks!
I always remember that show. Buy 1 get 5 free! cute jars
Make me some from goat's milk! Then I won't get that "Aliens, stuff exploding out of my stomach" feeling.
Was it terribly difficult and expensive to come across your cute little yogurt maker? I remember loving my mom's homemade yogurt when I was little too, but I don't have much memory of what it tasted like, and besides, it'd be fun to feel like Diane Keaton, even though I never saw that show so I'm not sure what it would feel like to feel like her in that show, but it still sounds like it'd be fun so I want to try it. How's that for a run-on sentence?
Corrine...
I don't have easy access to goat milk, but I could sure hook you up with some sheep milk yogurt. Seriously, my dad milks his sheep sometimes. Don't tell him that I told you that.
So, let me know the next time you're in the U.S. and we'll whip up a batch of yogurt that won't cause any explosions in your stomach.
Kirsten, the yogurt maker is only 30 to 40 dollars on amazon.com. There are yogurt makers that are way more expensive and a few that are a little cheaper, but the EuroCuisine YM100 is the one I finally settled on after doing my research. And, I've made probably 10 batches of yogurt and have been happy so far. The YM80 is the exact same except it doesn't have the timer (which you really don't need too bad since you'll want to get your yogurt in the fridge after it processes anyway.)
The yogurt starts are about 50 cents or a dollar each...I can't remember for sure. I use the Eurocuisine brand and love it. You can also just use plain yogurt from the grocery store.
Good luck. I hope you like it. If not you can always sell your yogurt maker on ebay or amazon.
MOM, what the heck are you talking about?
I have failed as a mother if you don't know.
I'll give you another hint: Do you think of or remember your yogurt maker when the dog bites or the bee stings or when you're feeling sad?
And yet another: You mentioned the name of the song I referred to 4 times in your post.
If you still don't know, don't tell me. I will only be racked with guilt for my failings.
Oh, now I get it.
MOM, you've been in Brazil too long! Come home soon!!!!!!!!!!
please, please make me some. i hate american yogurt. and plums. and everything else that was ruined by living outside of the US.
in another note, i got a cute, heart-felt email from my dad today. in it he talked about how he was listening to none other than the "sounds of sunday" this past sunday and proceeded to quote lyrics from a song he heard there that he has since DOWNLOADED..... oi veh. it made me think of you as i was vomiting (not the vomit, but the "sounds of sunday")
Ok, Riley had some homemade yogurt at Keiko Johnson's house and now tells me I have never lived!!! :) I have been wanting to try it, and am ready to to the whole messy gauntlet but those little jars are so cute!!! me likey!! I might have to try the other route and then decide that Riley can make it herself if I buy this yogurt maker on Amazon :)
oh yeah... and I'll be right over ;)
I've seriously thought about getting one of the yogurt makers, and I think that your post has convinced me. My MIL and SIL both have one and they love theirs. My MIL makes her yogurt from Keifer milk, and my SIL does something different.
I just finished reading the companion book to Food, Inc. Totally scary! I am trying to move to more and more organic/natural. I don't buy much that is processed, but still.
I think that I'll start with making my own yogurt!
Erin, how do you guys know Keiko? Through ballet?
Yeah, come on over anytime and I'll give you a taste test of my yogurt. It's especially delicious in the summer when I can pick my grandma's raspberries and put them in it...yum.
Amanda...you'll love the yogurt maker. Food, Inc kind of freaked me out...but I'm too lazy to go completely organic. But it is good to at least change some things.
Yes through ballet. Riley and Maile have danced together for probably 6 years.I love their family.
Ok so you've convinced me. I probably better just order a yogurt maker.
Post a Comment