Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I was born on the wrong continent...

I'm in Trinidade, Brazil right now doing a little traveling.  Last night my travel buddy Kate and I were talking to some fellow travelers from the U.K.  We asked one of them how long they were traveling for and which places they were traveling to.  She said, "well, we're not really traveling...we're just on a short two and a half week trip."

What? A short two and a half week trip?...that Brits don't even consider to be traveling?  Well, then I guess I've done very little traveling in my life! 

That conversation with the Brit led Kate and I to a discussion of how we had both surely been born on the wrong continent because pretty much everyone else in the world knows how to properly vacation...even the Japanese.  And we decided that we wish our ancestors would have just stayed put.  Because then we (and our desire to travel a lot) would be considered normal.  


And instead of being from America where bosses tell people that "three week vacations are what retirement is meant for," we'd be from somewhere where people don't wait for old age to travel and see the world...and enjoy life.  

I then reminded Kate that if we were British we'd have bad teeth.  But then Kate reminded me that neither of us have naturally bad teeth nor had to have braces or any major work done.

So, really we could have been British, had nice teeth, AND could have traveled like the Europeans. 

And regardless, I'd take "gap year" over nice teeth any day. 

4 comments:

Emily said...

I had to google "gap year" after reading your post. You taught me something new - I think we should have a gap year for every 10 years of work we put in!

Battfam said...

Did that rainstorm you were in soak through to your brain or something? Of course you weren't born on the wrong continent. If you had been born in Europe the chances are you would be some sort of a socialist. Would "gap year" be worth that? What is "gap year" anyway?

Becca's Blog said...

Oh mom, I wouldn't be socialist...I might live in a more socialist country than I do now, but I wouldn't be a socialist in my heart...the same way that I live in American but don't believe you should wait for retirement to travel and enjoy life.

But I guess, now that you mention it, I wouldn't really fit in Europe either. Maybe I was meant to be Australian or something else other than European. Too bad I didn't have any criminal ancestors who could have been banished to Australia. Dang.

USA said...

I enjoy seeing your pics and reading your blogs. I'm so glad you have the courage to travel and that you can. I always thought it'd be fun, but when it comes right down to it...it scares me a bit to go outside of my country!