Sunday, August 1, 2010

Avoiding Stalkers, Serial Killers, and Other Weirdos...

The past couple of weeks my mom and I have been going down to the beach early most mornings to walk (and sometimes run if we aren't feeling too sweaty or lazy).  And really, getting up early and walking hasn't been too bad...we're pretty much in the habit now.  


Here we are in the matching Brazil shirts we bought earlier this week to use as exercise shirts, because there's no way any Brazilian is going to mess with a person wearing a Brazil shirt.  Brazilians LOVE their country...even the thieves and bad guys.  

So, anyway, my mom and I have been going to the beach every morning, and after a couple of weeks of going, we pretty much have a set morning routine.  

We wake up at 6:00.  I usually lie in bed until approximately 6:05, convincing myself that I have the strength to get up.  Then, I get up, go to the bathroom, wash my face, brush my teeth, put on my exercise clothes, put on a hat (to cover up my morning hair), and my sunglasses (since the sun is already up and burning bright at that hour).  We take the elevator down the three flights of stairs to the garage (because we don't want to actually exercise before exercising), and then we drive the four blocks to the beach (because we don't like walking there...too much dog poop and too many busy roads to cross, and we don't want to actually exercise before exercising).

We park in the same place.  We go the same distance.  We stop to watch the dolphins for about the same amount of time.  We amuse ourselves by making a contest of who can find the ugliest t-shirt on our fellow beach-walkers, who be the first to notice "Speedo Man," and who can identify the most interesting sweat patterns on the shirts of fellow walkers. (We know that the presence of two Americans wearing bright green Brazilian t-shirts is probably providing entertainment for them too). 

Then we go the car and I get some change out of the center console to buy an agua de coco (coconut water) from my favorite Rastafarian coconut salesman (he is way more hygiene conscious than the other coconut salesmen, and way cooler too.)  And then we head back to my parents' apartment.  

So, we're pretty predictable really.  

And people (motivational speakers, responsible adults, and Oprah) always say that the best way to accomplish what you want to accomplish is by making good habits and getting into a routine...by being predictable.  


But, a few mornings ago the thought crossed my mind that "maybe routines aren't that great."

Because one thing that they (motivational speakers, responsible adults, and Oprah) don't tell you is that having a set routine every day makes you a way bigger target for stalkers, serial killers, and other weirdos.  




Just something to think about...


Later Leeches.  


5 comments:

Lucy said...

Very good for exercising! You're "routine" reminds me once Merlene was worried because she was in such a routine that she thought anyone watching could predict her exact whereabouts at all times. (she did have a break in at her house once, but it was before she was so predictable)

Cassie said...

I believe I'm jealous of your t-shirts, routine, 'Where's Speedo Guy' game, and tasty drink after the workout.

Battfam said...

It's been fun and I am going to miss our morning walks...and Speedo Man.

Sarah Peterson said...

wow- we think SO much alike! I hate being predictable for the same reason! I am surprised you travel so much- I am kind of scared of going anywhere- it just feels a lot less safe in other places...

kiddle97 said...

That is exactly why I try to be so incognito when I take the kids to swimming lessons or to school, or when I go out to the front yard to check on the garden. I switch things up by a few minutes, 'cause I just know somebody's watching.