Thursday, August 5, 2010

Tear Gas and Llama Fetuses

I guess I was wrong.  


About the firecrackers.  


It seems like the little Bolivian independence party I mentioned in that last post went bad.  Because just minutes after pushing "publish post" I got my things together and headed out to explore La Paz.  But the hostel security guard stopped me at the door of the hostel and told me not to go out...that the police had just dispersed tear gas on the crowds.  


And I could smell the tear gas, even inside the hostel.  And, just so you know, tear gas does make you cry.  It was very diffused by the time it got to where I was and it still made me cry just a little.  


Anyway, I ran upstairs to my room to get away from the tear gas that was filtering into the lobby and I was able to see a little of the action through my window.  This isn't the greatest picture but you can see all the po-po out there doing crowd control.  Also, check out that power pole...yikes!

And, after a little research on some websites designed to prepare protesters for tear gas, I discovered that tear gas is distributed in little tear gas grenades and that the po-po shoot those grenades into the crowd by somehow using blank shotgun shells or something to propel them.  

So, the "fireworks" I was hearing were actually gunshots, but not the dangerous kind.  

Anyway, I waited for the tear gas to settle and for all the po-po to go away and then I headed out on the town.  I tried to find out what happened but by the time I got out there everything was back to normal and when I asked people why the police were shooting out tear gas into the street they just shrugged their shoulders and acted like police shooting tear gas into the street was no biggie and not even worth their trouble in asking why.  

And, later in the day in another part of town I saw police and smelled the lingering affects of yet more tear gas.  

But, don't worry MOM...it's really safe here...it really is.  I think they just like tear gas and crowd controlling.  That's all. 

And, at least I got to see something exciting happen.  That's probably one of the main reasons I travel...because not much exciting happens in Idaho. 

Anyway, since my friends have yet to arrive in Bolivia and I'm on my own for now I really haven't taken many pictures.  I think being alone in Europe for so long made me really sick of taking pictures alone.  

Today I went to what they call the "Witches Market" and did snap a picture of this little booth that sells...



you guessed it...llama fetuses! (enlarge the picture to see more detail)

I guess that's why they call it the Witches Market.  Because really although it is really just a touristy market full of souvenirs they do still sell llama fetuses, dried frogs, Tucan beaks, and other weird witcherly things.   

The llama fetuses are to bury under the foundation of your house.  If you do it will protect your house and bring you good luck.  And, according to the all-knowing internet, 99% of Bolivian families have a llama fetus buried under their house.  

Or, you can buy dried frogs.  And, if you buy a dried frog and stick a cigarette in its mouth then your chances of striking it rich will increase.  

And, although I know that some of you are probably wishing I'd bring you a llama fetus for your new house or a dried frog for money luck in these hard economic times...sorry.  That just might be pushing the limits for what I can get through customs.  

Well, I have friends arriving tomorrow.  So hopefully I'll take more pictures and will have some more normal things to blog about.  Until then...



8 comments:

Lucy said...

Dang, I don't think there is anything buried underneath our house...maybe a couple mice.
I'm still a little unsettled about the tear gas, though.

Kim-may said...

dear rebeca butt.
seriously, you are brave. can you imagine living in an environment where tear gas was just like "the norm"? weird.

Christa said...

2 things. Not really nice things either.
1) My brother served in Chile and he said they dealt with tear gas a lot.
2) It's popular in parts of Africa for the rich to kidnap children from small villages and bury a child in the foundation for good luck.

Becca's Blog said...

Christa those rich people in Africa should get cursed for that, not get lucky...sick...some people are just sick.

I think a llama fetus is a way nicer way to go and way more pc.

Battfam said...

I'm making a list right now of what I want you to buy me. I just can't decide between the dried frogs and the toucan beaks. Right now I'm leaning toward the toucan beaks. I'll get back with you on it.

Tricia said...

Does NOT sound safe to me!!! Be careful!

jenniferthornton said...

Two things:
1. I only saw crowds of police in the pictures - not crowds of normal peeps.

2. Who starts these llama fetus, smoking frog traditions anyway?

PS Did they have any magic wands or unicorn horns?

jenniferthornton said...

Two things:
1. I only saw crowds of police in your picture - No crowds of just normal peeps.

2. Who starts these llama fetus, smoking frog traditions anyway?

PS Did they have any magic wands or unicorn horns?