Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Welcome To Bolivia Becca, Welcome to Bolivia...



Welcome to Bolivia Rebecca Butt!

So close and yet so far away with my last name.  

Maybe this was only funny to me because I got into La Paz at about 3:30 AM and so I was super tired, but I just got a kick out of this little Bolivian taxi driver guy holding this paper up at the airport...looking for me and smiling big when I made eye contact.  So funny!

I told the guy what butt meant in English and why I wanted to take a picture.  He laughed with me and then proceeded to try to fix the sign with a pen.  I'm like "no worries dude, you don't have to fix it....I'm already here."  Funny little mix-up.  

Anyway, I was going to try to get some sleep...I got a little.  But then at 8 AM a parade of marching bands started circling around the place where I'm staying.  And they've been circling and playing all day.  Some songs I recognize ...like a Bolivian variation on We All Live in a Yellow Submarine, and when the Ants Go Marching In or when the Saints Go Marching In or some song like that.  

Anyway, I guess Friday is Bolivia's Independence Day and the festivities have started early.  Right now I hear a lot of what sound like gunshots but they are probably just fireworks outside.  I'm guessing/hoping they're fireworks anyway.  I think people would be screaming if they were gunshots.  

I've got to go get some money, water, a SIM card and other provisions...so, I'm really hoping those are just fireworks.  Don't worry, I've got my mace.  

I'm glad I get to be here for Bolivia's Independence Day...I guess I kind of lucked into that one.  I wouldn't even know about it if it weren't for the marching bands.  Hopefully there will be some great celebrations I can attend. 

Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Battfam said...

What's in a name anyway? Right?

kiddle97 said...

This just made me happy.

kiddle97 said...

This just made me happy.