Saturday, October 3, 2009

Hi, my name is Pete, Part II: Pirate Style

Today I was driving down Highland Drive in SLC when this big white suburban-type vehicle passed me. On the back of their windshield, instead of having a happy little set of "family car stickers," as I blogged about last month in the post, "Hi, my name is Pete," this family had...

SKULLS.

That's right, a set of skulls on the back of their vehicle. My picture isn't of the greatest quality as it was taken while I was driving and through my dirty windshield, but I think you can still see the nice little family of skulls. It looks like there's a daddy and mommy skull and two little kid skulls, girl kid skull and boy kid skull. (If you can't see it the mommy and daughter skull have little pink bows on their bare skull heads.) Too bad they didn't have a little skull cat and a little skull dog. That would have been cool.

I was too busy taking the picture and trying not to get in a wreck to notice what kind of family was inside this vehicle. Really, I am curious to know what kind of people have skull versions of the family car window stickers.

Are they sarcastically making fun of people with the normal family car window stickers?

Are they just really into pirates?

Are they warning others that their family is poisonous or dangerous?

Are they fascinated with death?

Are they just super cool and in style with their skulls and crossbones?

Are they weird?

Or, are the stickers representing not their family that might be riding in that car, but deceased relatives?

Who knows?

Anyway, as another update, apparently the people who sell these family car window stickers do not want people like me mocking their industry by putting a single girl sticker on my car with Spinster written underneath. I know this because Lee and Kim told me today that they tried to buy me just a single woman sticker at the Blackfoot fair last month and they were told that you can only buy the stickers as a family set.

Now why would a single person, who wants to join in the family car sticker fun, have to buy the whole set? That is so racist against single people! I hope their family car sticker business doesn't make it through the recession. Because really, when things are tight and people are choosing between stickers for their cars or a brick of cheese to feed their starving children, I'm guessing they'll buy the brick of cheese. And cheese is not cheap according to my brother Tyler. (Sorry, inside joke.)

Anyway, lest I get a million comments about it, I do realize that single is not a race. But there isn't really a good word to describe the unequal treatment of single people. We need a word...you know, like racist or sexist, but for single people. If any of you can come up with a good one I'll give you a dollar.

That's all for now.

8 comments:

Battfam said...

How about discriminat"one". I know it isn't quite there, not worthy of the dollar, but maybe 50 cents? Okay, maybe a quarter.
About the skulls; My guess is that the people were mocking others AND that they are weird.

Tallie, Aaron, Sterling, Avalon, Truman and Quin said...

Becca,
I found a website where I think you could get a single woman sticker. http://www.familystickers.com/family-decals.html

Plus, they have this warning, which I loved "WARNING: We discourage adding your children's first names to your family stickers. Adding children's names may be a potential danger to your children's safety." Duh!!!

Lucy said...

Not a fan of skulls, although I have purchased a hoody with them on it for a gift. Getting new glasses.
I hope I never have a suburban with those stick figures or skulls on the back window. Actually, I hope I never have a suburban.

Becky said...

Let's see...racist, sexist, singlist? Umm, maybe not. Good luck finding the right word. You'll have to ask Cassie about the Caddy with skulls all over it.

Corrine said...

Ooh, time to make up words, I'm up for that...

unodiscrimination

soloism

uno-phobic. Yep not going to get better than that. Give me my $1.

♥jada said...

If ever I was to put family stickers on my car, I would go with the skulls. I think it says, "Move on, sex-offender/murderer. The job here is done."
I think the word you are looking for is "spinsta-phobe". If I win, I would like to donate my dollar to your single skull w/a bow sticker fund.

Kate said...

Singlist (I saw it was already suggested) or Singlet. Or unitard. "you're a unitard." Down with this discrimination!

jenniferthornton said...

I was wondering if they had one of those sticker things of a dog in a coffin or with a grave marker or something? PS I'll see what I can do on the book front. I think I remember BYU bookstore having some paperback copies of Tu eres especial. Now I'll have one of your family members correcting my Spanish spelling.
Aunt Jen