Hello blog fans and leeches...
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack from the world of blogging dead.
I know it's been awhile. I'm way behind. I haven't yet finished blogging my daily gratitude journal from December. I haven't blogged much about Brazil. I haven't blogged about Belize. And I haven't even blogged my pictures from Costa Rica in October. And yes Geri, I even remember that I haven't done that post you tagged me on back forever ago.
I'll get caught up eventually but for now I'll just give everyone a little update on my unstable life. This is mostly for the sake of one of my favorite little blog leeches, my Aunt Jenny (now Sister Thornton), who claims she doesn't know how to leave a comment. I don't buy it though.
So, here's my life in a nutshell...
I am homeless.
I am soon to be jobless.
I am happy.
The end.
JUST KIDDING! Of course I'll give you more info. I've never been a woman of few words. But those of you who like to complain about my "super long blog posts" can just quit reading here. It's my blog and I'll write what I want to.
I moved out of the house where I was living because our lease was up and two of my roommates were moving out of state and the other one is borderline engaged (and you can't count on borderline engaged people) and I wasn't really sure of where I was going or what I was doing anyway. So we just all decided to go our own ways.
I went through a little while there where I basically didn't have a clue about what to do with my life or where to be and I actually seriously considered just leaving SLC all together. But then I decided that I wasn't going to be half way through my graduate program and not finish...that would be dumb so I'm staying to finish school and then I think it will definitely be time for me to move on to a new place.
So I found a place to live in SLC but the spot won't be open until this coming week so in the meantime I've been homeless. It has really only been about 2 weeks of homelessness now. I've spent a couple of nights at hotels in SLC, a few nights at hotels in Belize, a couple of nights at my cousin's house, and a few at my awesome friend Rachel's house.
I considered just sleeping in my car for awhile too and just showering at work (as I do have a sleeping bag in my car right now) but first of all my car was so full of my stuff from moving that I couldn't lay the seat back and then I hurt my back in Belize and just couldn't bear the thought of sleeping sitting up. So I didn't resort to that, although I wouldn't have minded having the experience. In fact I'm kind of sad now that I didn't do it. I mean how many people can truly say that they "lived in a van down by the river?"
Here are a few things I've learned from being homeless...and let me tell you, homelessness isn't all it's made out to be.
1) First of all not all homeless people are druggies or have major mental problems. I've been homeless twice now in the past year and I don't have any major mental problems and have never used drugs.
2) When you basically live out of your car and sleep somewhere different every night you also usually eat in your car too. And let me tell you that the protein shakes I eat for breakfast every morning on the way to work stay nice and cold in my car and even sometimes, if I'm lucky, form little ice crystals...deeeelish.
3) Changing your underwear everyday is nice but not ABSOLUTELY necessary. Okay, I only wore the same underwear twice one time and it was only for part of the day...but still, I have done it, have you? The reason that I had to wear the same underwear twice is that I grabbed the wrong suitcase when I went into one of the hotels that I stayed at, and then by the time I realized I didn't have any clean G's inside the hotel room with me and was going to go out to my car to get some there was a scary guy roaming around the parking lot so I didn't dare go get my clean undies and just didn't change underwear until later that day. I lived through it but did feel a little creepy for being a two-day underwear type person. And that leads me to my next thing which is...
4) Staying in hotels alone is sort of scary and sad. I mean I lived alone for almost three years and that wasn't too scary, but I guess I didn't see creepy guys roaming around outside my house.
5) You can survive long periods of time of only eating protein shakes, string cheese and Jamba Juice. And they are all easy foods for people on the go.
So, early next month I'm quitting my job. I know...it sounds crazy to quit a job when everyone else in the world right now seems to be losing theirs. But I figure that right now I can either totally lose my mind or totally lose the job. And after much (many many months) of consideration, I'm finally going through with it. I guess right now I'd just rather be poor and not crazy and stressed out rather than have money but be miserable.
I'm just going to focus on finishing my graduate program and hopefully not spending every cent I have saved. My goal would be to just use my savings to pay for tuition and hopefully be able to earn my living expenses through little odd jobs and things like selling plasma and maybe one of my kidneys until I can find a part time job that will work with going to school. Let me know if any of you have suggestions for jobs or for little things you can do to earn some cash on the side...nothing really is beneath me for earning money as long as it is legal and not a sin.
Okay, so there's my whole life story for everyone to know.
The real end.
Saturday, January 24, 2009
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!
Hello blog fans and leeches...
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack from the world of blogging dead.
I know it's been awhile. I'm way behind. I haven't yet finished blogging my daily gratitude journal from December. I haven't blogged much about Brazil. I haven't blogged about Belize. And I haven't even blogged my pictures from Costa Rica in October. And yes Geri, I even remember that I haven't done that post you tagged me on back forever ago.
I'll get caught up eventually but for now I'll just give everyone a little update on my unstable life. This is mostly for the sake of one of my favorite little blog leeches, my Aunt Jenny (now Sister Thornton), who claims she doesn't know how to leave a comment. I don't buy it though.
So, here's my life in a nutshell...
I am homeless.
I am soon to be jobless.
I am happy.
The end.
JUST KIDDING! Of course I'll give you more info. I've never been a woman of few words. But those of you who like to complain about my "super long blog posts" can just quit reading here. It's my blog and I'll write what I want to.
I moved out of the house where I was living because our lease was up and two of my roommates were moving out of state and the other one is borderline engaged (and you can't count on borderline engaged people) and I wasn't really sure of where I was going or what I was doing anyway. So we just all decided to go our own ways.
I went through a little while there where I basically didn't have a clue about what to do with my life or where to be and I actually seriously considered just leaving SLC all together. But then I decided that I wasn't going to be half way through my graduate program and not finish...that would be dumb so I'm staying to finish school and then I think it will definitely be time for me to move on to a new place.
So I found a place to live in SLC but the spot won't be open until this coming week so in the meantime I've been homeless. It has really only been about 2 weeks of homelessness now. I've spent a couple of nights at hotels in SLC, a few nights at hotels in Belize, a couple of nights at my cousin's house, and a few at my awesome friend Rachel's house.
I considered just sleeping in my car for awhile too and just showering at work (as I do have a sleeping bag in my car right now) but first of all my car was so full of my stuff from moving that I couldn't lay the seat back and then I hurt my back in Belize and just couldn't bear the thought of sleeping sitting up. So I didn't resort to that, although I wouldn't have minded having the experience. In fact I'm kind of sad now that I didn't do it. I mean how many people can truly say that they "lived in a van down by the river?"
Here are a few things I've learned from being homeless...and let me tell you, homelessness isn't all it's made out to be.
1) First of all not all homeless people are druggies or have major mental problems. I've been homeless twice now in the past year and I don't have any major mental problems and have never used drugs.
2) When you basically live out of your car and sleep somewhere different every night you also usually eat in your car too. And let me tell you that the protein shakes I eat for breakfast every morning on the way to work stay nice and cold in my car and even sometimes, if I'm lucky, form little ice crystals...deeeelish.
3) Changing your underwear everyday is nice but not ABSOLUTELY necessary. Okay, I only wore the same underwear twice one time and it was only for part of the day...but still, I have done it, have you? The reason that I had to wear the same underwear twice is that I grabbed the wrong suitcase when I went into one of the hotels that I stayed at, and then by the time I realized I didn't have any clean G's inside the hotel room with me and was going to go out to my car to get some there was a scary guy roaming around the parking lot so I didn't dare go get my clean undies and just didn't change underwear until later that day. I lived through it but did feel a little creepy for being a two-day underwear type person. And that leads me to my next thing which is...
4) Staying in hotels alone is sort of scary and sad. I mean I lived alone for almost three years and that wasn't too scary, but I guess I didn't see creepy guys roaming around outside my house.
5) You can survive long periods of time of only eating protein shakes, string cheese and Jamba Juice. And they are all easy foods for people on the go.
So, early next month I'm quitting my job. I know...it sounds crazy to quit a job when everyone else in the world right now seems to be losing theirs. But I figure that right now I can either totally lose my mind or totally lose the job. And after much (many many months) of consideration, I'm finally going through with it. I guess right now I'd just rather be poor and not crazy and stressed out rather than have money but be miserable.
I'm just going to focus on finishing my graduate program and hopefully not spending every cent I have saved. My goal would be to just use my savings to pay for tuition and hopefully be able to earn my living expenses through little odd jobs and things like selling plasma and maybe one of my kidneys until I can find a part time job that will work with going to school. Let me know if any of you have suggestions for jobs or for little things you can do to earn some cash on the side...nothing really is beneath me for earning money as long as it is legal and not a sin.
Okay, so there's my whole life story for everyone to know.
The real end.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey! I have lived in a van down by the river! Ok maybe just a honda in West Valley for a night or two when the fbi people kicked us out of our place for 3 weeks... and it wasn't bad except it was during the Winter Olympics so it was February..brrr.
Ok AND good for you to quit your job and be HAPPY! I really think you oughta give one of your life long dreams a go for awhile too..... waitressing! Try an expensive place so you get bigger tips though! I guess you could get big tips at not so expensive resteraunts too but I just don't see you serving wings at Hooters.
Ok it is obviously WAY too late for me to be up leaving weird comments on blogs.
Good Luck Becca and thanks again for the FANTASTIC havaianes!
Hey Becca,
Please come stay with me if you need to or want to. I would love to have you come! Seriously- please do.
Thanks Amanda! Hopefully I'll be moved in to my new place this week though. We still should get all together sometime soon.
Becca, even though I made you sleep/freeze on a blow up mattress, and even though I only saw you for like 30 minutes total, it totally made me long for our roommate days. I'm so glad you're quitting! Maybe we could get together for an entire hour!
Post a Comment