Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tonsillitis Please

I caught myself at work yesterday daydreaming about getting tonsillitis. I know that sounds weird, since you choose the things you daydream about, but for some reason I really want to get my tonsils removed. Can you do that as an adult? In my daydream I imagined that this nasty month-long disease I caught in Europe (upper-respiratory of course) turns into tonsillitis and I can get my tonsils removed. I think I was just subconsciously thinking of tonsils because my throat hurt and I just felt like if I could just rip out my tonsils I would feel better. Here are some other benefits of a tonsillectomy that I daydreamed about:

1. Paid time off work. I could use up those sick days that usually only pregnant women and people with really bad sad diseases get to use. And I don't want a bad sad disease to be able to use them.
2. I could get some sleep. I was just imagining myself lying in a hospital bed (it had blue and white sheets on it) and sleeping for like 12 hours and even when I was awake being super out of it from all the pain meds. A break from life.
3. Easy weight loss. Hello, what easier way could there be of losing weight than only being able to slurp jello and broth with a straw? Awesome. I'm going to write a book about it.

I've daydreamed before of small injuries, surgeries, and illnesses that would give me a break from life. But for some weird reason a tonsillectomy never crossed my mind before. I don't know why. A tonsillectomy just sounds like the most reasonable and logical minor surgery for me right now. I don't want a broken leg or anything that takes too long to heal. I don't have time for that. But a week or two break from life wouldn't be too bad. Please tell me that I'm not weird. Please tell me that I'm not the only one that dreams of minor surgery as a solution
to life's problems and an opportunity to get more than five hours of sleep a night. I'm sure I'm not the only one...I can't be.

11 comments:

Cassie said...

Just last week my buddy Becky told me this very same thing. She has always had the secret dream of getting her tonsils taken out to. (not so secret anymore...sorry Bec) Anyway, I think I may not be hip or something. This has never crossed my mind. Well, now it has been on my mind twice in a week, but you know what I mean.
It is sad that
you have felt yucky for so long. Maybe the kite flying will help. :o)
BTW-the pic for this post kind of freaked me out.

Kate said...

I thought about ways to get out of work all the time at ARUP. They give you so much sick time, and then you never get to use it. A real tragedy. I never thought of a tonsillectomy. Good idea...

Becca's Blog said...

Don't get scared of the picture of Saddam everybody. He's dead now and can't hurt you. Believe me, I saw it on YouTube.

Audrey said...

haa you guys are funny!
2 things....
first off my mom told me once that when she had four of us kids at age 24 she would truly think of little crimes or something that would land her in jail a couple of days! she said something minor like check fraud or something just to have a break from us and have someone bring her her meals and sleep. She should have thought of the hospital instead of jail!!!
#2 Nobby had so much sick leave his final year of working at BYU he took seriously took from april til september off to take up some of his 338 days. he used his trigger finger for the sickness... whatever works i guess!
and no you aren't weird, you are normal and may need a beach holiday trip next... that way you can sit, tan, and sip pina coloda instead of go go go!

Lucy said...

The only other place that I've thought of to get a nap or to bed on time is jail. I like the hospital idea a lot better because I would be afraid of all the others in jail.

Becca's Blog said...

Jail Aunt Lucy? Wow, I guess I am more normal than I though. At least tonsillitis won't go on my permanent record.

Becky said...

I'm the Becky who's been ratted out by Cassie's response, so I feel it might be alright if I leave a comment. I have never laughed so hard! Perhaps because I can totally relate, or maybe just because you have such a way with words. My reason for wanting my tonsils out? Since kindergarden, I've been jealous of anyone with a legitimate reason to eat nothing but I.C. and popsicles. It all about food, always.

P.S. I'm going to try reeaally hard not to become a leech. I've had a lot of fun looking at your blog!

Becca's Blog said...

Becky (Cassie's Friend)...you are welcome on Becca's Blog anytime. Any fellow masochist is a friend of mine...I'm just glad someone else wants their tonsils out for totally ridiculous reasons.

Becky said...

O.K. Being a person who had their tonsils out at the age of 18 (almost 19), let me tell you it is ALOT worse the older you get. It is NOT like when kids get theirs out and are eating ice cream that evening!! It's more like you're wishing you could eat something so you'll stop throwing-up, but you've thrown-up sooo much that now you're throat is bleeding-- shall I go on!! As for the diet part its great-- it's like you are an anorexic bulimic!! Sounds enjoyable huh! Stick to good old Fake-a-ba-titis... (that's what my family called faking sick!!)

Amanda said...

Hey-Becca-

I could set you up for the tonsillectomy! I work for an ENT. However, although I would love to do that as well- you would hate me for a solid 2 weeks. Ahh--such is the life. I would like mine out as well-hey, maybe we could get it done at the same time and be miserable together. Nothing like some good pain meds to make you feel loopy and help you actually believe that you are having a good time after a tonsillectomy! Yeah right!

Amanda

Christa said...

So I have this weird throat thing going on right now and decided to diagnose myself through Google. Almost everything that comes up says I would need to have my tonsils taken out. I would have thought this was bad but after reading your post I thought maybe this could be a good thing. But I have to remember the last time I diagnosed myself on google it said I had a brain tumor...turns out I had a cold.