Monday, April 21, 2008

Bugged

Not to be a brat or anything...but, (this means that I'm going to be a brat) I just am having a hard time understanding this little world of ours. Maybe some of you can help me. I got my papers in preparation for the sale of my house from the title company, Equity Title (Equity, ironically means, "fairness and impartiality") just the other day. On those papers it showed that the title for my house would be transferred from Rebecca Batt, an unmarried woman to Kory Somebody. Period. Not Kory Somebody, an unmarried man.

So, I just figured that this Kory Somebody who is buying my house was a married guy and for some reason his wife just wasn't going to be on the title of the house. I thought to myself, 'okay, so they just wrote unmarried on my part because he must be married. I can handle that, I think.' But guess what? Yesterday I met this Kory Somebody and he is NOT married at all but is a TOTALLY SINGLE METROSEXUAL BACHELOR GUY! So my question therefore to the world is...Why didn't his name say, Kory Somebody, an unmarried man? Just wondering.

I remembered that when I bought my house my papers said Rebecca Batt, an unmarried woman. I thought it was weird and I said to the lady at the title agency, "Why don't they just write, 'Rebecca Batt, SPINSTER' on my papers?" She laughed and then told me that they used to...even within her time working at the title agency! I guess at that time I didn't mind it too much...I was only 25 years old and I was probably thinking to myself, 'That's right SUCKAS I'm an 25 year old UNMARRIED woman and I'm buying a house!' But now that I'm 28, almost 29, that word Unmarried just seemed to stick out more than the last time I signed paperwork for my house. And maybe part of it is that now I'm selling my house. I am de-domesticating. There I was a homeowner with my own crock pot, rice cooker, and blender...all ready to be a wifey...just scoot over my clothes in the closet and move right in Mr. Husband man. I was ready. I was all settled down. And now I am unsettling. I'm reverting back to renting, possibly roommates and no place to store my salad spinner, Christmas Tree, or ice cream maker.


I'm not really MAD about the whole unmarried woman thing on my title papers. I guess I am just a little bugged...maybe mostly because of all the changes I'm making right now and that are happening in my family too. I don't like change. I need to vent. So I am. Poor blog leeches you. And really I am less sad for myself than I am for all those hippy women's libbers that burned their bras to make a statement to the world about equal rights for women. It seems like they wasted their time and bras (and bras are expensive things to burn) trying to make things just the same for men and women and here I am still in 2008, Rebecca Batt, an unmarried woman.

P.S. If anyone knows why, even in the 21st Century, they still write an unmarried woman after my name will you please let me know? And why they don't write an unmarried man, a married man, a married woman, a divorced man, a divorced woman, a woman who had 4 children out of wedlock, a man who is cheating on his wife, a man who has a "life partner" etc, on other people's house titles. I know that some of you mortgage people and lawyers out there might know.

9 comments:

Corrine said...

Hey Becca, I totally agree it is RIDICULOUS!!!

I just read this post to Andrew and he came up with a reason maybe why they do it:

"Maybe they write unmarried woman because it lets the title people know this is her maiden name, and if she gets married in a future time, they won't accuse her of not being Rebecca Batt."

Perhaps? Still they should say:

"Rebecca Batt, hot eligible single woman".

That's my vote! :)

p.s. okay I paraphrased, he wouldn't say 'title people' more like "jolly good title company agents in their employ" haha

Tricia said...

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT PICTURE?? That is awesome. I laughed for 5 min.

Becky said...

I had no idea such craziness was going on in the world!! Maybe they do it so if any of the title guys get a crush they can look in the file to see if the woman is married.... that of course makes me think of creepies who would love to know who was single!! sorry to completely freak you out!!

Christa said...

I think they should just put anything about the person while we're at it.
George, smelly useless man who will never amount to anything in his life.
But seriously, I totally agree.

Audrey said...

Ok so this guy buying your house is single??? Is he hot? I know you said he is a Metro but that isn't ALL bad! Maybe it is a double wammy thing... realoting AND match making!!

Kim-may said...

you should ask Jared. I remember preparing some of those papers one time in my life, and im not sure why they do that, i thought it was a little weird too. im sure its for tax etc purposes and to make sure you are smuggling in mexicans or something, but you should really ask...im curious to know why too. and i have some bras you can burn if you want...

Mardi said...

They could put "married couple who hate each other." It doesn't make sense to me...you'd think something like that would be covered in a privacy act or something. Maybe a woman wrote it and wishes she were single too and is just jealous that you have a house. ??

Lucy said...

Our world is full of weirdness that's for sure. I was sad to hear that you sold your house all ready, too. Even though I only went there 2 times, I really thought it was a cute, fun place. But you are a good house picker outer, and a good house seller, so I'm sure you'll do even better next time.
You're moving on to new things and that is good, too. It seems like lots of us are moving on to new things right now. Maybe we'll all get good at it!!

Anonymous said...

My wife and I just bought a house from a single guy and it said, "Richard Whoever, an unmarried man." So, they may just put it for the seller... or something... I don't know.